Could mirtazapine have stopped working after 3 years?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Sorry posted this in the wrong section at first, so apologies to anyone reading a duplicate thread.

I have been really happy on this drug for three years now and envisaged staying on it for ever because it suited me so well. I was on 15mg at first which stopped working after a few weeks and then went up to 30mg which I have been on for three years. My depression has been controlled and I was sleeping really well. Before the mirt, I had to take temazepam every night, but for the past three years I have only had to take it once a fortnight or so, but it is very difficult to get doctors to prescribe it now. Anyway, I have suddenly stopped being able to get to sleep. I have frequent need to urinate and my heart is beating too fast when I can't sleep. This used to be only a couple of nights a month, now it is every night virtually. Also, my depression and anxiety have suddenly worstened.

Do you think the mirt has stopped working? I am reluctant to up the dose if it is going to poop out again, as it will make it more difficult to withdraw from it should I need to. Has anyone else been on this drug long term and had similar experience? I have a doctors appointment a week tomorrow, but was wanting to hear others' experiences before I go. Thanks.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Personally I would say yes.iv been on it a year when I first started it I slept like a baby.that only lasted a couple of weeks.im down to 15mg and I don't really see the point of taking it.my mood is not good I'm back to taking sleeping tablets.so I would say the effect wears off.instead of my gp just churning out something else I'm going to see him weekly and talk about the way I feel. If it works then good if not I guess it's back to the drugs.i do have a psycyatrist but he's as much use as a chocolate teapot.
    • Posted

Thanks. That is a very short time for the mirt to work. I guess I've not had a bad run with 3 years.
    • Posted

tee hee... I think we may have the same psychiatrist. LOL

He's more or less a walking laser printer for prescriptions. And when he jams I make my own... LOL

• Posted

Hi Evergreen,

You sounds like you're going through a tough time at the moment.  I too have my doubts about Mirt' and am trying different approaches.  I've done CBT, Mindfulness & now meditation (!!! all in the desperate need to cure insomnia).

I'm no expert but there's one thing I know for sure, and it sounds like this scenario is perhaps happening to you - sleep deprevation brings on anxiety and in turn depression follows, which comes first - if the onset is sleeplessness BEFORE the anx & dep then there may be a way to treat this differently.

I have been recommended a fantastic book called "Say Goodnight To Insomnia" and it is BRILLIANT, I want to shout it from the roof tops.  I am pretty sure that if I had read this book years ago I wouldn't be on medication.

I believe that we lose our confidence in being able to sleep and dread going to bed at times, therefore we're putting ourselves in anx' mode before we even put our toes under the covers.  We wake up and tell ourselves "oh no, I'll not be able to get back to sleep" - and hey ...  it's like a negative self destruct button - we're teaching ourselves bad habits, being our own worst enemy. 

Credit goes to my sister in Canada who even got her church to pray for me when I was in a very bad way last year not being able to sleep - then one of her friends recommended this book for me here in UK; with "doing work" on myself with the aforementioned therapies my sleep confidence seems to be strengthening, hopefully I'll get far enough to give up the Mirt !!!  

Also I think it worth a mention - I think Mirt' works better if I make a big conscious effort to relax an hour or two before bed time - which makes me pretty much a home bod 6 nights a week - but hey - it's got to be worth it!  Does anyone else recognise this?  

Thanks, rant over ...

• Posted

Thanks for the recommendation. I will definitely look that book up! I think one of my problems is I am pretty much a late night taxi service for one of my sons who works as a traainee chef. I have to fetch him after 11 pm on around 5 nights a week. And I have to be up to tend to my livery yard by 7 am. It is always those nights when I have most trouble sleeping as I can't take my mirt until after I have driven him home and theen need at least an hour and a half chill out time before I can sleep. By then, I am over tired and panicking about getting up the next day.
    • Posted

Hi evergreen,

I can relate to that, is it like you've "missed your slot" of sleep time ... being overtired and worrying you're not going to sleep, then panic sets in - all familiar.  Have you tried a guided relaxation tape - might be helpful.

I have just replied to another guy and quoted a web site it is awaiting "moderation" so if I don't get back on here on this subject that will be why.  Don't think I've done anything wrong as it's all helpful re hyperventilating advice for him.

tt

• Posted

Thanks. Yes, I have had my posts blocked before due to providing links to other websites. Sometimes they decide it's okay and sometimes they remove the link.
  • Posted

Hi Evergreen,

Yes - I think Mirtazapine is one of those drugs that can wear out after a long period. I must say that three years is quite a long time! Good on you though, for finding something that works for you. I was on 30mg of Mirt for one year. I'm currently in the process of weaning off and am now sitting happily at 7.5mg. My doctor actually told me that Mirt is best taken short term, because patients find it wears off after around six months. Of course it's different for everyone, but this is the general consensus smile

I wouldn't suggest going up to 45mg. I've heard it doesn't do much good. I think the fact that you can't sleep anymore is a sign that the 30mg is wearing off. I remember it happening to me too whilst on 30mg. Perhaps go back down to 15mg, as the lower doses are actually more sedative. As for your heartbeat and need to urinate - I'm not sure about that. Just make sure your diet is balanced and healthy, that you exercise regularly, and drink lots of water.

Good luck to you and many warm regards.

• Posted

Thanks. I was thinking about reducing the dose. Will discuss that with my GP.
  • Posted

Hi Evergreen

I remember you helping me when I was first prescribed with Mirt.  It only lasted for about 6 months.  Before that I was on Venlafaxine for 11 years and then it stopped working.  I think they all stop working eventually.

Eventually I went to see a physciatrist who prescribed 15 mg Mirt and 150 Venlafaxine.  I said to her that I had been on both drugs and they had stopped working.  She said that sometimesthat  happened when taken singly but werre very good in combination.  I couldn't believe it when they started working within a few days.  They lasted for 6 months but then I had two weeks of feeling down.  Not full blown depression at leastn I didn't stay in bed all day.  It could be that you learn how to manage the depression after you  have had it so many times.  I was OK for 2 months.  I was going to the gym or I should say classes 5 times a week and I think that was the secret.  However I hurt my back so couldn't do strenuous exercise.  I don't know if it was coincidence but I have had a few bad days.  Today I went to the Aqua class which unlike the  other classes is very sociable.  As soon as I got there and started chatting to friends I felt completely well.  So for me that is the secret.  I obviously need people.   Perhaps you too need a combination of drugs.  It really is a horrible thing.  I just think I am going to have it forever as there is no reason for me havinbg it.

I hope you get over this Evergreen.  I too found upping to 45 mg was useless in fact I found it  terrible.I will watch for your posts to see how you are.

Love Pat

• Posted

Thank you. Interesting what you say about the combination of the two drugs, but shame 6 months was all you got. I would just love to be drug free, but the mirtazapine has made me the happiest I have been for 20 years. It's a shame it had to end.
    • Posted

Hi, I can relate very well to your situation, having been taking mirt for just over 3 years. I started to go downhill and couldn't explain it, anxiety started to get worse. I tried upping my dose to 45 and things got worse, then when I reduced I couldn't shake the I'll feeling. I started to panic thinking nothing seems to be working now, I dropped my dose to 15 and my anxiety disappeared. I am currently trying to come off them now as I realised they've stopped working, hardest part is the withdrawal feelings, temps me to up the dose, but the doctor has prescribed me propranolol to take to ease the withdrawal while I continue my way down. Definitely realise now that mirt poop out if that's the right words. Speak with your doctor for advise, wishing you well
    • Posted

Thanks, Craig. Interesting that it happened to you after a similar amount of time. I think that sadly, I need to think about coming off them now. But I don't know of any other AD that would help me like the mirt has, I've tried so many.
    • Posted

I've been on antidepressants for nearly 20 years, I took citalopram for 15 years and they worked a treat, then a few years ago they stopped working or more likely it was the pressure of a job I was in at the time, I tried a few different types before ending up on mirt, they did slowly bring me out of my depression but the side effects never really left me. Although I am withdrawing now it's really hard to come off and I am trying to take it slow, hoping I can one day be clean from them but if I need to take something else after then I will, just want to be well at the end of the day
  • Posted

Just wanted to let everyone know that I am fine again now. Sleeping and anxiety much better. I have an appointment at the doctors that I made when feeling bad so will still go as I need some temazepam in case I go through another phaze like before. But it seems the mirtazapine has not stopped working after all. I think I just am destined to get high anxiety whenever I have family gatherings and the mirtazapine is not potent enough to help me in those situations.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.