Could mirtazapine have stopped working after 3 years?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Sorry posted this in the wrong section at first, so apologies to anyone reading a duplicate thread.

I have been really happy on this drug for three years now and envisaged staying on it for ever because it suited me so well. I was on 15mg at first which stopped working after a few weeks and then went up to 30mg which I have been on for three years. My depression has been controlled and I was sleeping really well. Before the mirt, I had to take temazepam every night, but for the past three years I have only had to take it once a fortnight or so, but it is very difficult to get doctors to prescribe it now. Anyway, I have suddenly stopped being able to get to sleep. I have frequent need to urinate and my heart is beating too fast when I can't sleep. This used to be only a couple of nights a month, now it is every night virtually. Also, my depression and anxiety have suddenly worstened.

Do you think the mirt has stopped working? I am reluctant to up the dose if it is going to poop out again, as it will make it more difficult to withdraw from it should I need to. Has anyone else been on this drug long term and had similar experience? I have a doctors appointment a week tomorrow, but was wanting to hear others' experiences before I go. Thanks.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Oh dear Evergreen, I am so sorry to hear this. For me Prozac pooped out after 7 years. The last year I think it was more a placebo than anything else.

There are a few alternatives to Mirtazapine (apart from Trintellix/Brintellix that I talked about in the other post). 

I believe Mirtazapine can either be substituted by an anti depressant or by a moodstabilizer like trazodone, lithium or such. There are so many meds that are successful being used "off label" that your pdoc (if he/she's any good) can suggest an alternative. 

And if you switch from one med to another the withdrawal from Mirt might actually not be that bad! I havent felt anything negative since last week. From 15mg to zero, but subbing with Trintellix.

Maybe you can also just add an anti anxiety medication that keeps you a bit down. I really like the Clonazepam I"m on. It doesnt make me sleepy. Just gives me a bit more clarity and a calm sense of "think first, then do". smile

Hope you find the right mix soon!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.