could my diagnosis be wrong?

Posted , 5 users are following.

i have been diagnosed with BPD but i feel i have been given the wrong diagnosis. i have researched the criteria and i only hit a few of it. i do suffer from really bad mood swings. but these last at least 2 weeks. when i was 13 i was diagnosed with depression due to a suicide attempt. i have recently been back as people had loocked between the depression episodes and decided to get help. i dont have abandonment fears or unstable relastionships. i have tried the therapies and they dont help me at all. the mood stabilizers help but im sacred of asking to be put in case i get accused of being manipulative. i have been to groups especially for bpd and i dont relate to anyone there. what should i do?

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Kimberley, remember that ALL mental health diagnoses are subjective opinions of the clinician making the diagnoses. You are NOT your diagnosis. You are an individual & need support to be the live the best life that you can. If the BPD label is not helpful for you, then you do not need to accept it. Personally I think depression is a healthy reaction to our sick society & indicates an awareness & compassion for people. Keep looking for the things that add value to your life & help you survive day to day. 
    • Posted

I don't feel like I've been labeled. When I first went to see soneone they said I won't be able to receive a diagnosis until I have seen someone to go through my childhood then out if the blue I got one. But when I've researched it it keeps saying you have to check 5 but i only check 3 of the points.
    • Posted

If you don't agree wIth the dIagnosIs, It Isn't manIpulatIve to brIng thIs up wIth your therapIst. And If the group Isn't helpful, by all means, look for another one that Is. You may even need a new therapIst, especIally If your present one doesn't seem to understand or lIsten to you, or even If you just don't lIke a partIcular person.

GettIng a dIagnosIs can be more helpful for Insurance purposes, or when applyIng for assIstance, than It Is to a patIent. SometImes a dIagnosIs, especIally a wrong one, can be detrImental. Psychology Is not an exact scIence, the doctors are often wrong, and dIagnostIc crIterIa change all the tIme. It's OK to ask for a re-evaluatIon. Try to go wIth whatever helps you. If you thInk mood stabIlIzers help, ask for them.

• Posted

The pills work but only so much i feel like I need more but everywhere if looked on bpd it always seems to say people who suffer from pd are manipulative and I don't want people to think doing that. My partner said from day one (we had been friends science I was 13 and n now 21 been together for 2 years) that e thinks I have bipolar. He has seen people go through it all te mood swings all of it and thinks I'm exactly like that. Especially how nasty they am be when they are on a high and are critisied. I had as involved just under 2 years ago because I couldn't function properly and I went to to the gp for help. They thought I had bipolar but when I went to see the psychiatrist they agreed then the ss got involved and all of a sudden it's bpd. I couldn't be fully honest on how I felt because of the ss and now I'm scared to be honest in case they think I'm lying to get what I want. At first I refused the diagnosis because I was told I couldn't have one until I had see a pyschicologist and then as I said as got involved and all of a sudden it's bpd
    • Posted

I'm in the US, so I'm not sure what "the ss" means. But it sounds like you could really use a good therapist, one you are comfortable with, who can help you figure things out.

The notion that BPDs are "manipulative" is rather old-fashioned and outdated. There are many more forward-looking therapists who have a non-judgemental approach to treating BPD. The NEA BPD is a good resource for learning more about the disorder on lIne. (i don't know if this will get posted, but hopefully it will).

Don't be overly worrIed about beIng thought of as manIpulatIve.

You have a rIght to ask for the help you need. It's best to be honest, although even the most brutal honesty can be mIsunderstood. I would sIt down and really decIde what you want and need. Once you are clear In your own mInd, It should be easIer to ask for It. 

As for pIlls, I haven't found them to be very useful, for Me. Others say they're a lIfesaver. I have found that fIndIng why I do the thIngs I do Is the most helpful when It comes to changIng for the better. In other words, readIng, study, and talk-therapy.

• Posted

One more note:I understand about not wantIng to tell the whole truth. Unfortunately, a therapIst can't really help much unless you do.

(For Instance, some people mIght not want to admIt to drug and alcohol use, or anger,  vIolence, or suIcIdal thoughts, but these mIght be a bIg part of theIr problem. 

Or tellIng the truth mIght get some people In trouble wIth the law.)

That's why It's a good Idea to be very clear wIth yourself as to what you want. There's always some rIsk when askIng for help, but If you can be honest, you stand a better chance of havIng a better lIfe some day.

• Posted

Ss means social services lol. I do what to be honest I of need help I'm scared of risking everything.
    • Posted

I don't know your sItuatIon so I'm not sure what I'd do.

Just sIt down and really thInk about what you want. If you want to ask for a mood-stabIlIzer, emphasIze your mood swIngs.

If you want therapy, try to fInd a therapIst you can trust.

The bIg dIfference between BPD mood swIngs and bIpolar mood swIngs Is thIs:

BIpolar mood swIngs happen no matter what Is goIng on In your lIfe, (although stress can brIng them on).

BPD mood swIngs are usually a reactIon to somethIng someone says or does, a trIggered memory, or a conflIct In a relatIonshIp.

(Stress effects BPD mood swIngs as well.)

• Posted

Iv actually had these swings for years. Since I was about 12. Nothing rey triggers it. I could be perfectly fine enjoying y relationship we would both be happy and having fun with the kids then boom out of no where my mood hits. It impacts on everything. How my children are how people are around me but I don't realise this until I'm at a low then the guilt just overtakes me and I don't want to see anyone I just want to sleep. My appetite disappears or I just binge on junk. I litterally just shut myself away and don't even answer the door. I make my partner open it even if he is upstairs and I'm down. When people come over I just lack myself away or just completely blank them. But before the low I'm outgoing and I just feel amazing. I love that feeling I can come up with ideas and when the ideas are coming in all at once it feels like I'm watching a cluster of shooting stars
    • Posted

I can definitely identify with the part about loving the "high" moods.smile

If you want help these are things you should be able to discuss with a therapist without worryIng too much about getting in trouble, I would think. You may have to decide for yourself whether you think you're truly "bipolar"; one suggestion I've heard is to keep a journal of mood swings, for a few months. Jot down anything that happens, feelIngs you have, or

anythIng someone says to you, right before you swing up or down. That way you'll be able to tell for sure if your moods are reactive or not.

There are people who have both BPS and bipolar disorder. I don't completely buy into the idea that there are all these "disorders". I prefer to see them more as personality traits, and "levels of dysfunction", (which could also be looked at as "levels of discomfort"). The "disorder" tag is useful for getting insurance coverage or financial assistance, but isn't always so good for the person seeking to overcome a difficulty.

Some people don't mind the mood swings, and seek them out and use them creatively. That might be hard on family and friends in some cases. It may be possible to be happy and content even with extreme moods, once you really understand them (just a thought). 

I'm not really big on psychotropic medicine; it helps some people, but personally, I'd rather learn to like myself the way I am. It's always  advisable to avoid suicidal depression or extreme rage,  but sometimes just talking may be all someone needs.

The older I get, the more I realize that mental health is an inside job.

• Posted

I did do a mood diary but I lied on it because of the ss ididnt wanted to know how extreme they really are. Since going on the meds my lows ain't as bad as they were but they still get pretty bad and the highs the same. My partner says it's very difficult to live me with and sometimes to even be in a relationship with me when I have these. He does try to pull me back and looks for the warning signs. He was the one who forced me to get help as is only ever been diagnosed with depression but he saw the in betweens. He says I become irrational and if someone doesn't agree with my idea (when I'm on the high) or even slightly disagrees I just loose it but then on lows I'm the complete opposite. I can't make a desciaon I jut sit there and stay. Sometimes I can't even answer the door let alone leave the house. I have tried to push myself eg going shop on my own but I just became extremely paranoid and couldn't leave the house for days at a time. Looking back I wish I would of been honest. I did also keep a real diary of moods sleep appetite why happened that day but left t at my old house when I moved. I think I'm gonna start that up again as it can help me keep track of things
  • Posted

Hi, kimberly i was diagnosed with bipolar disorder but my psychiatrist think is mostly unipolar disorder since i stay mostly on the drepressive side for years . I only had a period of mania that last a few months. Kimberly, you shouldnt feel bad for taking an interest in your health in order to see if the diagnosis is correct or not, And if you feel mood stabilizers are helping you that ask for them with no shame .
  • Posted

I've decided one my court case against my ex is over going to question everything. People have mentioned bipolar to me since I was 15 but I didn't even know what it was and just ignored them. I find it hard to say what I mean when in face to face. Like I'll say something and they could et the wrong end but I'll agree because I feel like I sound crazy and stupid.
  • Posted

Your not crazy kimberly i too am at present going thru the samething i disagree with my diagnosis currently GAD by my psychiatrist im 56 come from an abusive background (both parents ) i live in uk

Ive had treatment for over 30 yrs in 3 diff counties & until recently ive never ever been diagnosed with anxiety but i have been diagnosed with - all forms of depression;aspergers;personality disorder;agression; anger;social disorders;fear & unfortunatly have been to prison because of some or all of the above (its in my med records) some of the anawers on here are correct in my experience too some mental health workers are not good for for any of us frankly .... i have a theory on this as follows - medical ppl in this area (mental health) are taught the same things at uni the diff i see is they seem to personize it once in situ (job) & it is this that causes wrong diagnosis

ie you have what you have so long as your completely honest about your condition the FACTS learnt from uni should NOT be interpreted in any other way & i completely agree that not all mental health workers are good at what they do in fact i had one psycologist pursue me for 4 yrs as she wanted a personel relationship dispite the fact i was happily married with children ! She had a masters degree in psycology .

Unfortunately its almost impossible in uk to go against or even complain about any doctors/teams i know ive tried ! Can i/we get a second opinion not on the nhs im afraid so youll have to pay soz to be neg but im also frustrated best wishes x

• Posted

Iv been looking into private but had no idea on how much it costs. It frustrated me at the fact that a large part of PBD is unstable relationships. I've had 1 abusive relationship yeah I had an abusive childhood but I've never accepted the thought that the abuse defines me. I accepted what happened and even tried to press charges. But I know that's not what cause this. I'm don't have abandonment issues or anything like that. I've looked at lists upon lists on the criteria of BPD and I've only math 3. That's mood swings childhood abuse and anxiety. I hate the fact that the nhs get to just go for the easy option and we don't get to ask questions.
    • Posted

Firstly i would disagree with you your childhood IS to some degree bound to affect us in adulthood weather we like it or not i dont have abandonment issues i dont even have dislike/hate towards my parents either but i have learned from the better doc's that its learnt behavoir weather we're aware of it or not also id like to say that ive researched for 30 yrs that many diff conditions have very similar traits ie anger is under anxiety;bi-polar;depression;ptsd;personality disorders;aspergers;adhd;paranoia; paranoia disorders;dementia;parkinsons etc ok looking thru the eyes of a med proffessional/patient WHICH one is it???? This is where the better proffessionals triumph they do theyre research & look for other symptoms .... as i suspect its NOT what theyve done in our cases may i ask a question (you dont have to answer) do you live in uk?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.