could my diagnosis be wrong?

Posted , 5 users are following.

i have been diagnosed with BPD but i feel i have been given the wrong diagnosis. i have researched the criteria and i only hit a few of it. i do suffer from really bad mood swings. but these last at least 2 weeks. when i was 13 i was diagnosed with depression due to a suicide attempt. i have recently been back as people had loocked between the depression episodes and decided to get help. i dont have abandonment fears or unstable relastionships. i have tried the therapies and they dont help me at all. the mood stabilizers help but im sacred of asking to be put in case i get accused of being manipulative. i have been to groups especially for bpd and i dont relate to anyone there. what should i do?

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Yeah always lived in the GM area. When I was 12 I was diagnosed with depression but after a year of seeing someone at CAHMS I didn't feel like they helped so I refused to go. She never really asked anything and kept trying to just put me in groups instead of helping. My gp thought bipolar when I was 15 but I was to scared to see someone about it. At the age of 15 I completely lost it I was so low that I couldn't grasp anything I just literally broke down and started loosing it at a bus stop but it felt like I wasn't even myself I was just an observer. At the time my partners autie was with me and she was the one who mentioned I needed to to speak to my gp but it took me months to do it. After that I didn't leave my room. It sound ban by my personal hygiene was gone. Then out I no where I just felt amazing and started the heavy drinking. I was brought up with my grandparents and they reached out at school and the doctors as I was really out of control. At the time though i honestly didn't see anything wrong until around 2 months later.
    • Posted

Fear anger depression violence heavy drinking/drugs hygiene out of control highs/lows are all part of a condition but as i say which condition is it ? Ive had & still do have all the above

One thing ive learnt is keep as busy as able distraction is useful

Exercise; walks even if midnight !

& another thing ive learned is when to stop looking for an answer this is not as easy as it sounds because all were trying to do is not to feel as bad as we do .... but there is a danger of becoming a Self - diagnostic & all sorts of conditions seem to apply to us !

So the ability to step back & take stock is very good for us

I very often do this & do say to myself this n that actually doesent apply to me so get a grip !! Stick with facts ask relatives/friends ifya not sure hope im making sense & of some help??

• Posted

I have asked family and friends and they think the same. I'm now 21 and only decided to go when I was 19 when I decide to ask. I have stopped researching and stopped looking at it all. As I said in one of the above comments I'll be starting to question once y court date with my ex is over next month. Ido know a bit about pychology as it was a part of my criminality studies. I know things over lap and I know it can take years to get the right diagnosis. In fact many people who hae been diagnosed with BPD are also usually diagnosed with bipolar or bipolar traits. Many things over lap in mental health I know that. Depression can just be an underlying disorder. Just like anarexia and other eating disorders can be an underlying issue. I'm no stupid. I have not self diagnosed that is possibly the most damaging thing someone could do with mental health issues. Many things over lap an yes I know it's hard to get the right diagnosis. All I wanted was peoples opinions on the matter. Not I be told I get a grip. I don't want to live my life wondering if I'll be okay or will I always need meds. I wanted people opinions on could it be wrong could they have got it wrong. Should I ask questions. Even though I'm unsire on how to go about it because I know the nhs are awkward.
    • Posted

Hey Kimberley I just wanted to say "stay true to yourself". Ask questions so that you can understand any subjective diagnosis that you are given. Remember that you are NOT your diagnosis. You are an individual with intrinsic value despite any feelings to the contrary. Use your intuition to find what is right for YOU in this crazy world. There is very little evidence that long term use of neuroleptic meds are an advantage for patient quality of life, but in crisis they certainly seem necessary. Follow your heart, live your life in as full a way as possible day-to-day and believe in your own energy. Good luck with your legal stuff. You will be okay if you choose to be. Hugs x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.