Could my gallstones be causing these symptoms

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi everyone

I know I have gallstones, a gallbladder full of them to be precise, they were picked up on a pelvic scan. My question is could they be to blame for my symptoms over the last year? They are:

Lightheadedness

Pain in upper right abdomen

Digestive issues, loud tummy

Diahorea vs constipation sometimes

Weakness throughout body like I'll pass out

Pains in back

Pains in left arm

Raised liver function test

My dr seems to think I'm having vestibular migraines but I'm not convinced because of the gallstone diagnosis. I don't always get pain perhaps once per month, but the lightheaded feeling never leaves me.

Can gallstones cause lightheaded faint feelings even if the pain isn't present at that point. It's worth saying I've had a couple of ecgs to check heat and they were both fine.

Thank you all

2 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

The only way to know is having your gallblader removed.
  • Posted

Hi, these symptoms sound familiar to some of mine, I have gallstones which I have carried with me for many years, with milder symptoms that have escalated since last year and I have been waiting for surgery ever since due to long waiting lists and pushbacks.

?I also have a hiatus hernia and a diverticula found on the scans and I had H pylori infection before the situation worsened, which waas treated. So, I don't know what effect these conditions have to add, neither it seems, do the drs as they say it is likely more down to gallbladder, but dizziness etc they say not.

?Any abdo conditions may mimic others and many folk with them do report palpitations and dizziness, which may be due to inflammation, gas etc affecting the vagus nerve and pain can also refer along the phrenic nerve, you can look these things up.

?I only know that when the gb or whatever other things start to flare, I get light headed, migraines, nausea, palpitation, arm pains, neck and back pain as well as the abdo pain, bloating and general weakness.

?At one pint, I had paramedics as I felt my heart was going to stop as it was so fast and pounding, they found then that my heart was fast but OK and the episode was due to my blood sugar dropping rapidly (not a diabetic) so glucose and something to eat put things right. Needless to say I was not eating much at the time, and still can not, though I try to have balanced intakes now and include nutritional drinks and probiotics and carry glucose sweets in case any signs appear of low blood sugar.

?Not sure if it helps, but I do think the symptoms are connected but we are all different and the conditions can occur with other digestive and health issues.

?Are the drs doing anything about the gallstones?

• Posted

Thank you, I see the Dr again in a couple if weeks but the wait in between appointments just seems long. They aren't but I'm going to push for a scan because we know they are there so I think they at least need to investigate. What I don't want to do is leave it and concentrate on treating vestibular issues to find its all related to something I could have just had removed. This is what the drs seem to want to do at the moment, treat for that, well I thought that was a process of elimination disease in that if they'd tried everything else then they diagnose it, but I don't feel they've looked at everything

• Posted

Sorry to learn you're having these problems.  I suggest that you press for a referral to a gastroenterologist, who specializes in these issues.  If you are going to see a gp, they don't always understand how the gut works.  

Gp's tend to say to themselves, "maybe it's this" and testing for that to see if they're correct.  Most all of your symptoms are gallstone related.  While they're checking out their theories, your gallbladder can become more and more inflamed, and you will experience more and more problems.  Not to alarm you, but the walls of the gallbladder can become thickened and even rupture. And, a diseased gallbladder stresses the liver. 

An ultrasound may or may not show stones, but can't always show very small stones and sludge.

While you're getting this sorted, I'd suggest you stick to a very low fat diet, and eat small frequent meals instead of three meals a day.

Good luck, and let me know how you do! 

• Posted

Hello. I am curious and want to know how everything turned out for you as I am currently have the same situation going on with me. I have been having your same symptoms and questions. 
    • Posted

Hi sorry for the late reply!I still have my symptoms although they are less frequent, therefore I am no further along. I am exploring that it could all be anxiety and I'm sure some of it is but not all of it. How about you?

• Posted

I had my gallbladder removed (HIDA scan confirmed it was barely functioning) and took away MOST of my pain, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. However, I am still dealing with a ton of lightheadedness and muscle weakness. I consulted my doctor and she told me it could be a (or multiple) vitamin deficiency so we are currently doing blood test for that. In the meantime she has me on magnesium supplements. I wish I would have known this sooner. 
    • Posted

very sad to hear  removing GB does not help with your dizziness. But did your bloating/burping and belching are completely gone?

• Posted

I'm 37 year old male with normal BMI.I have been having on and off digestion issues from 2007, i was having burping,bloating  after having fatty /oily or protein meals.Endoscopy diagnoses was gastrits in 2008, then i had omperzole for 2  years, around 2011 i started getting mild pain on right side rib, the ultrasound diagnosis was no gallstones , but hida showed my gallbladder is working 0%,i started getting dizziness , spacy feeling from there on till now. From 2011 to till date i  have a dizziness,spacy feeling whenever i walk in large halls, big stores,etc with severe bloating,belching and burping. In 2017, did ultrasound scan which shows i have multiple gall stones.

I did all the test known to man kind like brain MRI,echocardiogram,stress test for heart,Ecg,blood work ,etc.

Diagnosis so far : Barrets esophagus with non dysplesia, Low functioning gallbladder(0%) and now multiple gallstones

My B12 was very low ,took multiple shots , but still having the dizzi/spacy feeling.

Though Burping,bloating and belching i can tolerate, the dizziness feeling is the worst which gives a lot of trouble at workplace, driving at night, walking in low light ,etc.

Removing my gallbladder is the only hope at this point.did any one in this forum who removed the gallbladder and thier dizziness completely went away? Appreciate your response on this.

• Posted

can you explain your dizziness in detail like how do you feel ?

My dizziness is tough when walking in hallways ,focusing on a person walking in hallway, walking in big box stores,blurred vision especially in low light areas and if there is are more people moving around i also feel dizzy and kind of confusion.Very tough to drive in no light areas.

My dizziness is somewhat less outdoor

• Posted

Des91, please keep us posted. My situation is exactly like you. Although I have very very minor pain in right side but I get extremely full even after small meal followed by striking pain in my check in both left and right. I am very much sure that gallbladder is causing this issue along with dizziness. Please keep me posted abt ur dizziness, I want to take decision on my gallbladder removal.
    • Posted

after going through lot of forums, the  dizziness is a hit or miss with gb removal. But what i feel is your overall digestion needs to improve to see the dizziness go away. I have seen many who removed gb, but dizziness still exist and few where their dizziness is gone after gb removal.
    • Posted

extreme fullness is the main result from gastroparesis. I’ve been having pain, dizziness and etc and as the Doctor has ran scans she order d a gastric emptying scan which down that my stomach does not work properly. After four hours it should of been 90%-100% empty and mine was only 59% empty. They just ran a HIDA which I’m awaotomg results but I’d suggest having a gastric emptying study before having your GB removed.  You may have more than one problem.  Good luck!
    • Posted

There is no cure if it’s caused by damage to the vagus nerve and generally, that’s what causes it.  Symptoms are abated with diet which is a low fiber, low fat diet. Many of the symptoms are caused by both gastroparesis and/or gallbladder problems.  

My personal opinion is if the HIDA scam doesn’t show a gallbladder problem, get the gastric emptying study done before opting for surgery.  I have changed my diet and am still having issues but also feel better. So if my HIDA scan doesn’t show any issues, I may try a gallbladder cleanse diet for a bit.  If my WBC goes down that is, it’s shows signs of an infection somewhere in my body and my GB could be infected. 

• Posted

There is a medication called Raglan that can help increase the stomach emptying but the side effects are pretty bad. I’m trying the diet change before trying that.  
    • Posted

I would try changing your diet before going on meds. I recently changed my diet to gluten free. Although it was hard to make that transfer, I won’t be going back to gluten. It has helped my energy, bloating, nausea, and much more. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.