Could someone give me some advice about detoxing please?

Posted , 11 users are following.

I have been consistently drinking every evening for the last 15 years and desperately want to stop but am struggling. I generally drink a bottle of wine and up to half a bottle of vodka or just vodka, about 2 thirds of a bottle (70cl). I drink alot of water through the day and don't start drinking alcohol until about 5pm. Can I just stop or should I gradually cut down or go to the GP? Its really getting me down as I'm not in control,....it controls me! Although I don't drink till teatime, I am thinking about it all day and I suffer every night/ morning with numbness in my arm & fingers. Any advice / support would be really appreciated. Please help!

1 like, 52 replies

52 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello Rachel,

I think you would be best to see your G.P. and be very truthful about the amount of alcohol that you consume, daily.

I was prescribed Selincro/Nalmefene, which lets you continue drinking while you reduce your intake, gradually.

All Good Wishes,

Alonangel 🎇

• Posted

Still going strong Angel? Your posts are even different, you sound happy 😄😄😄😄
    • Posted

Hi Vickylou,

Yes, I am still " hanging in there" !

One Week Alcohol-Free... YIPEEEEE !

On Day 8 and still don't feel like having a drink.  Fact is stranger than Fiction.  I keep thinking that all of a sudden, I will go mad for wine, but... nothing.

I coloured my grey roots, today.  I'm now a 'natural blonde', ha, ha !!

All Good Wishes to you,

Angel 👼

• Posted

Great news Angel, am really really pleased for you. Now you're blonde, you should treat yourself to some retail therapy 😄😄😄😄
    • Posted

Well my dear Angel, you are now an inspiration to others and newbys that come on the site. So very happy for you xxx
    • Posted

Hi Lovely Paper Fairy,

It is still early days, but I feel very POSITIVE... which is quite a change, for me.  I am very happy to have come this far... I want to keep going.

All Good Wishes to you,

Angel xxx 👼

• Posted

Keep going lovely lady. You've been to hell, for a very long time and nearly given up, but wow, look at you now, and back. You now have an amazing future so just keep continuing with what you're doing. Big hugs x
    • Posted

Thankyou Alonangel. I will be honest with my GP as I really need some help and think that I'll be deceiving myself more, if I'm not honest. How can I ask for help without laying out the facts?! (Rhetorical question!!) Tomorrow has to be a turning point for me. :-)
    • Posted

Rachel, I was in the same situation as you many years ago.

you could take your husband/partner or best friend with you and ask them to explain what's going on, just the basics and then once the dr knows join in.

what I did, and probably sounds weird to anyone else, was write a letter to my dr outlining the facts, what I was frightened of, feeling ashamed, guilty etc. I gave it to the receptionist and asked that my dr read it prior to my appointment.

i was gob smacked when he later phoned me, told me not to worry, and be proud that I'd gone to such lengths to get help, which he said was half the battle.

good luck for tomorrow and well done

• Posted

Thankyou! Have had a tearful breakdown tonight with my partner tonight and am just gonna lay down bare faced stuff to GP tomorrow. I need help, which means honesty.
    • Posted

So pleased for you angel, you're doing really well
    • Posted

Oops! Too many 'tonight's'! Lol!!!
    • Posted

Thanks, I am still quite incredulous at the way I feel.  I don't even think about the "dreaded drink" !

Long may it continue.....

I hope you are doing well.

Blessings,

Angel 👼

• Posted

Although I am not an expert I suggest that you start giving auto suggestion repeatedly that sobriety is in the best interest for me as my health will improve, my relationship with family and in society will improve, my financial position will improve and my career will be better in sobriety. Try the self hypnosis. By lying on floor, do some breathing exercise and then relax your body completely and keep ur attention on ur breathing process and give the above auto suggestion which will be accepted by ur sub concious mind. Try this. All the best. Rishi.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.