Could this be ppi related?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've been off ppis for just over a week as I've had a ph test. Over the past few days I've had cramping low down in my abdomen every time I eat, also loose stools. Anyone had anything similar? It's starting to worry me now. Thanks.

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Can I ask why you came off the meds ,?
    • Posted

I was having a 24 hour ph test and you have to stop all meds for it. I have a blood test coming up too and ppis can affect that so I'm having to stay off them for a few weeks .
    • Posted

Oh sorry. You didn't say, yes I gad to come off mine during tests.  I am 12 weeks post op linx  best thing ever happened to me 
    • Posted

Did you have any bowel problems after coming off them? I feel as if I have a bad bout of ibs 
  • Posted

Hi, to me it sounds like either IBS or Crohn's. have you been checked for both of these intestinal issues. I have Crohn's about 20 min. after I eat I get the same thing you get. Check wth a Gastro, it could be a few other problems going on. I hope this helps. Stress & Worrying will only accerbate the problem. Stay calm until you get it checked by a Physician in the field.
    • Posted

I have thought Crohns because there has been blood and mucus too but I've had a blood test that's been negative even though there was inflammation on my last colonoscopy. Just hoping it's ibs now as there's some horrible alternatives that I don't want to think about.

How does Crohns affect the way you go to the toilet? 

• Posted

Hi again, routine blood test will not show Crohns or IBS. It can only be diagnosed by a lower endoscope. Upper endoscope checks , down the throat to stomach, gallbladder, to pancreses, and bile ducts. The Dr. looks in the scope for inflammation on the walls of the intestines, and other things. Hope this helps. 
  • Posted

Hi, I am having a bad attack of my Crohn's it can last for weeks. I have the same symptoms as you. just had full blood work up. Everything came back negitive also. I called my Gastro for an appt. I had the same symptoms as you for about 2 weeks already. Can't eat, only chicken broth with other spices I used the last time I had a bad bout with this problem. Stress accerbates all diseases. Stay calm, it is just a big change of diet!!!!
    • Posted

Hi Hex, I've had upper and lower endoscopes. Both found inflammation but biopsies came back negative. I'm going to make an appointment with my GP today and ask for the tablet endoscopy that looks at the small intestine. They do it at my local hospital so I should get a chance. My small intestine is the only bit that hasn't been looked at. Trying hard not to be stressed but it's difficult when you feel so bad with no explanation. Fingers crossed for an answer .
  • Posted

Remember that your body needs to get used to the acid changes again.....and yes I have the cramping...had it for months along with tummy ache and nausea, turned out to be lactose and wheat intollerance as well as onions and garlic ......I came off my PPIs as it wasn't acid as the doctors thought, but have to stick to a strict diet...Interesting had some curry sauce yesterday and really suffering; think it must be the onion and garlic....eugh. Try coming off milk products for a while and see how you get on. Sorted my cramps out overnight almost.
    • Posted

Hi Worrychick. How did you find out about your intolerances? I've had a blood test for coeliac that came back negative, but that's all. The cramping woke my in the middle of the night last night. Back to the gp again. I will ask about any tests as this is really getting me down. 
    • Posted

It is a constant battle. The dr said it was functional and put me on acid blockers. But they had no effect lower down. I took myself off wheat and dairy after a friend said it helped and my spasms stopped within 48 hours. I am not coeliac it is just malabsorbtion as is the lactose....I had a scan but nothing. But I felt nauseous all the time for months, it turned out I had an intestinal bug and I think that may have caused my intollerances but I will never know as they continued after it was treated but the nausea subsided and my stools were a better colour. I never had dioreah. I was referred to a dietician who put me on the low fodmap diet......if i stick to it I am fine....I avoid dairy all the time and have wheat free bread but I do still have onions which I think is the cause of my latest tummy ache and I also had some curry sauce so perhaps overload....Onions and garlic on the fructans list like with wheat......but also some nuts can do it as well as humous.....I also made my own coleslaw but again probably the raw onion....it is very hard at times but if I go back to simple food (chicken, salmon, beef,) with jacket potato, rice, veg, berries (as stoned fruit a no no too!) then i feel fine.....its just I have been trying to see what exaclty it is and that is very very hard.....
    • Posted

I went to the gp today and his precise words were "...I think you are overly concerned about your bowel..."

What??!!! I said " wouldn't you be if you had bloody mucus dripping out and were being woken in the middle if the night with cramping?" He agreed that he would but has given no help whatsoever except to send me for more blood tests

I'm going to ask for the breath test for Sibo next time I go ( small intestine bacterial overgrowth). I'm fed up of being told everything is functional. It's a cop out!. How did they find your bug? I've been feeling constantly nauseous too and I'm wondering if I have a similar problem. Very interesting. 

Thanks Worrychick.

• Posted

Disgusting he's a public servant he works for you and has a duty of care. I'd demand a second opiniob
    • Posted

Hi Stella, yes I was told functional! I insisted on a stool test as my stools were tinged green ( sorry) and I also had an episode of yellow oily putrid liquid! Trouble is I had it after I went abroad and was alreadym PPi s so no acid to kill bugs on foreign food! Mine was a fish borne bug so through ingestion x 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.