Counting units, lol

Posted , 9 users are following.

Tomorrow I plan on starting the naltrexone.  Since I'm not a math whiz and as long as I'm lowering my drinking habits is it OK if I count by ounces?  Please don't try to exlain units to me.  Honestly, I've been reading on it and it looks like another language.  As long as I'm lowering my intake counting by ounces should be OK, yes?  

0 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I think if you stick to the same thing, that should be fine. Otherwise, things can vary so much in alcohol content, you might not be making an apples-to-apples comparison.

For instance, I've stuck with a 4% abv beer, as that's what I'm used to drinking. 

• Posted

Since I drink just beer I should be able to stick to one thing.  Ounces are just easy for me.  You mentioned 4% abv beer and I had to laugh a bit because I didn't understand it.  But, I made my chart up and I'm ready to go.  Wish me luck on the Naltrexone and that I have no terrible side effects as I am extremely sensitive to medication.  
    • Posted

Best luck, Kelly! Remember to have a bite to eat and to take half a pill with a full glass of water. We'll be waiting to hear how you get along with it!
    • Posted

BTW, if your beer doesn't say what ABV it is, I can look it up on the web for you.
    • Posted

Yes, 25 mg tomorrow and Monday and then up to 50 mg.  I'll just stick with ounces. Thank you.  Can you tell me how you're doing on TSM?
    • Posted

So far, I'm down over 75% from a high of about 84 beers a week. It's been 4 months since I started. No more holding down the sofa the next day and my mood has improved considerably. Plus, I'm saving about $200/mo!
  • Posted

It really doesn't matter which method you use to count it, as long as it is reducing.
    • Posted

Thank you!  It's just easier for me to count in ounces. smile  I'm ready to start tomorrow!
  • Posted

The problem with counting the actual liquid measurement is that there is a massive difference between a pint of vodka and a pint of beer. However, if you only drink one type of drink (beer, wine or spirits) then counting your ounces should be fine. Just don't tell your self you did well because you had a pint of beer yesterday and 'ONLY' half a pint of vodka today smile
  • Posted

units are measured in ml these days.
    • Posted

Kelly's on the other side of the pond. Beer is usually measured in ounces here (12 or 16 oz, some in a quart bottle), but wine is generally in ml.
    • Posted

Yes, thank you! As long as I can measure by ounces which is what is used here I'll be fine.  I'll let you know how I make out tomorrow.  Working dayshift, taking a naltrexone at work around 2:30.  Getting home at 3:30 and having a drink and going to eat with my husband.  Oh 1/2 a pill.  I'm praying this is the start of something positive.
    • Posted

Optimally, you should wait till you're at home to take the pill. That's standard proceedure for new meds, just so you aren't behind the wheel if you get some unusual side effects. 
    • Posted

My husband will be driving to take me to eat.  And you're right.  I'll wait until I get home from work to take the pill.  Thank you!  Love any advice!
    • Posted

Hi Kelly,

If I am understanding this correctly, you are going to take the pill and THEN go out to eat?

If so, then that needs to be changed as you have already mentioned you are senstive to medications.

You need to eat about 30 minutes to an hour BEFORE taking the pill.  Drink water, too.  This helps settle your stomach and prevent nausea.

Also, please stay at home the first time.  Do not go out as you don't know how you are going to react to it.  Most people tend to get a sort of a spaced-out sensation and that wouldn't be nice if you are out in public and start to panic a little because you want to be home.  You may also completely lose your appetite and feel unable to eat - this would mean that you end up drinking on an empty stomach, which combined with the medication, could well amplify any of the side effects.

For most people the side effects (if they have them) are pretty minor, but the biggest reason they are minor is because they have listened and followed our advice on this!

• Posted

Oh my! So much info. I'm glad I keep posting on here. You're right about one thing. I really should stay home the first time I take the pill. I already drink a lot of water so that's a win for me. Hmmm....eating 30 minutes before taking the pill is going to be tough. My body is immuned to drinking on "sort of" an empty stomach. I can't remember the last time I are first and drank later. But, I'll do my best to abide by these rules. So glad I posted on this and extremely glad you read it! Anyway, from the looks of it I doubt I'll be going anywhere. 90% of the time when I drink I can't sleep. I had 4 beer earlier and napped for an hour. I have to get up for work in 4 hours and feel the anxiety from drinking which in return I know I won't sleep. I already missed work Friday which is unlike me so I'll suck it up and work on no sleep. Will check back after my day is over. Thanks again for the advice!
    • Posted

For beer in pub measures we still use fl oz, however, in America, 12fl oz is common or a pint at 16fl oz. In the UK, it is a pint at 20fl oz, or a half at 10fl oz. We don't tend to ue quarts (we call it two pints), but if we did, it would be 40fl oz not 32fl oz.

Therefore our Imp gallon (8 pints) is larger than your metric gallon, which if memory serves me correctly, you took from your good pals, the French, along with driving on the wrong side of the road.

• Posted

HI Kelly. Forgive me if I misunderstand but are you in the USA and you replied one hour which I think is in the middle of the night? Just wondering and also assume that you are working Sunday morning. For certain I do wish you best of luck and how many wonderful replies you have had!! I have never seen anything like it for the 15 months I am here...all good and keep trying. Robin
    • Posted

Yes I'm from the USA and still wide awake with terrible anxiety from only 4 beer which was long ago. And yes I will be working on no sleep. Ugh! Love this forum for the great advice I've gotten. Still could kick myself in the butt for starting after 11 years. I hate the words relapse is part of recovery but indeed it is. Tough explaining that one to my family. Thanks for the support.
    • Posted

Anyway, you sound a lot better than you did the other night when I was 'talking' to you, you sounded a little bit tearful then. Glad you've picked yourself up from then.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.