Covid 19

Posted , 7 users are following.

Could taking Losartan mitigate( lessen) the effect of being infected by COVID 19. if you are infected . It seems it does

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Edited

That's a bold claim.

Could you provide some context?

• Posted

Hi losartan Wiki research in losartan mitigates the effect of Covid 19 atr1 blocker.

• Edited

Your question does not make sense for a start.

Secondly how does it seem it does? Back this up?

• Posted

Hi mark ,After reading Wiki about Losartan to which i have just been prescribed by Cardiologist only last friday i have been taken off Amlodipine for which been taking for roughly 20 years , and put on Losartan 50mg . so decided go on wiki to see about the effects of Losartan . but after reading , at bottom of page . there it is Losartan late in feb 2020 research mitigates the effect of covid 19 .

• Posted

This doesnt really make a lot of sense, particularly as one of the common side effects of Losartan is upper respiratory infections. As the Covid19 virus is known to cause breathing problems and in some cases pneumonia, I cant see that a medication such as this would actually lessen the problem. Spurious claims like this do more harm than good. Best advice re corona virus - speak to a medical professional who knows what they are talking about.

• Posted

Hi Loxie.i only have just been prescribed Losartan by cardiologist on Friday last . after years of taking Amlodipine for BP . Amlodipine was causing to much ankle swelling . so i decided , go on wiki to find out about the effects of Losartan 50mg . but right at bottom of page there it is. Losartan research seems to mitigate the effect of covid 19 . how i don't know . but up to now i have only taken two tablets of Losartan .

• Posted

That's very interesting. Following your post I too went online to do some research into this as my partner is on meds for hypertension. There are a few research articles about the connection between ACE inhibitors and Covid19 - but conversely to what you found, it would appear the ones I read stated that there was an increased risk of being more severely affected by the virus as a result of being on those meds - have a look at 'ACE inhibitors as a potential risk factor for fatal Covid-19' the article I read was on the BMJ website. All very confusing and just shows how easy it is for us the general public to be given insufficient and imprecise advice.

• Posted

Very up to date with that !

Some hypotheses emerged in late February 2020 that AT1R blockers such as losartan may work to mitigate the symptoms of COVID-19 (SARS-CoV-2) infection

• Posted

Hi loxie , The ATR 1 blocker . i think that means Angiotensin 1 receptor. not the Angiotensin 2 for which Amlodipine is for . maybe that's why i was given them , but i just might have become a guinea pig (hope not ) and the cardiologist knows what he's doing ,if i'm still hear in a few weeks after my blood test to see if it working i'll get back to you .lol

• Posted

in the meantime dont forget the hand sanitiser 😃 . I wish we'd get clear and precise info - my partner has been on BP meds for years. Last year he had a heart attack and some months later had quadruple bypass surgery. He also suffers from kidney stones frequently which affects his BP. Now our local doctors surgery has posted on their website today that a patient treated there on Tuesday has tested positive for corona virus and they've shut the centre for deep cleaning. We were both in there yesterday to pick up a doctors certificate for my partner who is off sick with a nasty other cold virus. We cant find out if we're supposed to self isolate or not as nobody is answering phones or email messages. Oh well, I have enough toilet paper for the next 14 days smile

• Posted

Hi loxie, i ve stopped Losartan can't breathe with it .

• Posted

Sorry to hear that Anthony, lung function problems are a known side effect of Losartan. We have been trying to get answers from our GP or NHS Direct on which meds have indicated higher risk for contracting or more serious outcomes with the new virus, to no avail. So I went online and read an article in the Lancet (hardly a publication not to be trusted) Part of it said the following:

"Consequently, the increased expression of ACE2 would facilitate infection with COVID-19. We therefore hypothesise that diabetes and hypertension treatment with ACE2-stimulating drugs increases the risk of developing severe and fatal

COVID-19".

However, the answers we're getting from our GP practice is that it's nonsence and there's no evidence. They wont therefore consider a change of medication for my partner.

• Posted

Hi Loxie . me to read same thing , when i was a child i spent 2 years in convalescent with TB . of the chest . iron lung ect ect. my window was never shut. and i have slept outside with snow falling . Lung Exercise's with Indian Clubs . that is them wooden skittle things. plus breathing exercise's . you would be surprised how many people don't know how to breath . People who Stutter . for one. have a look on you know who video to learn . just might help a bit .good luck tony

• Posted

Singing (even if you're tone deaf) is apparently wonderful for increasing lung capacity, I was told when I was recovering from pneumonia and pleurisy some years ago to sing whilst I walked, as it would stop me from taking too shallow breaths and thus increase my lung capacity whilst at the same time preventing me from getting short of breath.

• Posted

Hi . see you on x factor , lol, the hills are alive with music. even the italians are singing from there balconies, lol

• Posted

laughing here. I did get some very peculiar looks whilst wandering round the local park tunelessly belting out a chorus of 'the hills are alive' but now I can blame being old for being slightly crazy. 😃

• Posted

Talking to a couple on the seafront when a guy approached us

and introduced himself as Robert Hardman of the Daily Mail. I often see his

articles. He asked us how the virus was affecting our lives and the four of

spoke to him for about half an hour. He said the train from London was

practically empty with the few passengers wearing masks and going to Gatwick.

So we may be in the news tomorrow.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.