cranberry juice is horrible..just saying

Posted , 8 users are following.

It has been suggested to me to drink cranberry juice to help my liver detox in hopes of having a negative alcohol screening next week.

​It tastes horrilbe and all I could think that would make it taste better is some vodka or something....but NO...I'm going to nurse this jug I bought all day...straight cranberry juice!

1 like, 54 replies

54 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

No pressure Misssy, but have you had Milk Thistle?

I know that it works.

I don't know how it works for everyone... but when all is lost...it saves me.

Physically.  My body recovers.  My mind is still freaked...hey ho !

• Posted

No. I am going to read a little about it..the last thing I want to do is go out and buy another herb.

​I am tired today..I just went to throw my sheets in wash and I knocked over the litter box...I'm fuming mad I had to pick that up!

• Posted

Hi again, Misssy.  I forgot something that might help you.  Have you heard of Apple Cider Vinegar?  It is a health phenomenon..ok... supposedly.  Anyway, you must get the natural kind, with"mother"...don't ask, just now... I am trying to remember the details.  Natural, with "mother".  You take two tablespoonsful in lukewarm water... not hot...just a bit warm...heat destroys "the mother".  

You better not be rolling on the floor laughing ... I am trying to help you.  

A.C.V. flushes the liver... among other things.  It tastes disgusting.  I mix it, hold my nose, close my eyes...and glug it down. Yyuuukkkk !  It is so bad, it must be good for you. Long live female logic !  Some people take a spoonful of Manuka honey afterwards...to take the taste away and other healthy stuff.

That Sh*t and Milk Thistle...you will pass any Testing... you will be given a Gold Star for Purity Of System. Don't take them at the same time, for God's sake.  You could be " flushed to Hell". 

I would take Milk Thistle supplement last thing at night... with lots of water.  Then A.C.V. in water, first thing in the morning.

Read up about what I have written.

Do get back to me with your thoughts on it.  Especially the taste !

Alonangel 🎇

• Posted

Hi Angel...yes Apple Cider Vinegar is very hard to find around here. I used to purchase it years ago on line when I was having trouble going to the bathroom.  My father used to make batches of it...mixed with honey and give it to us every morning....than...poop there it is!

​Very great idea you came up with....I will look in our local stores and see if they have it...I haven't been able to find it....I used to purchase it for my father on line...cause like i said he has used it for YEARS.  I was unable to find it for him a year ago.

• Posted

Amazon has it, here.  I buy a lot of stuff online because I can't do the walking around department stores, any more. 

Do you have "Health Food" stores?  They would stock it, I reckon.

Anyway, it is reputed to be a sort of "cure all" and great for flushing the liver.

I am glad that I remembered to mention it.  I have so much healthy cr*p, that I lose track of what's what !

Alonangel 🎇

• Posted

You need to have sleeping pills! smile Your up to late lady. smile. Get some rest.

​I'm going to go stuff my face

• Posted

I am in my bed, Misssy.  I just don't sleep much.

It is 3.35a.m., here. 😳

• Posted

Hi friend. Not been on line for nearly a week and sorry. I have been very bad and been on a bender again. Excuses, stuff going on but boring and not relevant. I woke up this lunch time with hallucinations and continuous vomiting. I went to the local shop last night( just in case of AWS set in and it did. Not nightmare as been awake all day being sick. Eyes wide open all afternoon..the 1st was a bumble bee coming to my face. The second was snoopy( who I cuddle at night, well his fir was moving like I'd put a blow dryer on him3rd rats in my bed( big fat ones the same size of my dauchsund) friend looks after him when I'm ill. 4 a film like an sinny film on the wall of my 2 dogs and my son as kids( my 2 spaniels died of old age 3 years ago. Or 3 D film.

4. I woke up and eyes wide awake, looked at me and I was lying right in front of me but I was dead. I could go on but I'm sure I've bored you all too much. I drank 3/4 bottle to stop them as they were getting too serious. Tho I've sicked most of it up. Haven't eaten for nearly a week and can't.

Thanks Joanna for the wake up call to another lady on this site.

Regarding best alcoholic song ever, REM, everybody hurts 🙏

• Posted

Really sorry you're suffering so badly. Don't really know what to suggest, only to say I'm thinking of you. Take care xx
    • Posted

Thanks for that Vickylou. Bad night, couldn't sleep. Was scared to turn light off as hallucinations are so much worse when it's dark. They are really scary. Hopefully they will get less today. No appitite or energy. No alcohol for me for a while to give my body a rest. Though I'm not giving up on naltrexone as it was definitely working. Learnt a valuable lesson and I'm not going to beat myself up.

Take care you.

• Posted

Sorry to hear that you are having to go through this, PF.  Such a shock to me considering how postive you were when we spoke....

To at least try and salvage a little piece of good from this, it might help you in the future (and others using Selincro or naltrexone) if you can identify what it was that set off the bender.  This will help you be able to make a small change so that if the temptation happens again in the way it did this time, you can see it coming and do something about it before it hits.

By asking this, I am not wishing to judge you or anything, just trying to help you and others.

Which part went wrong?

Did you not take the tablet before drinking?

Did you not wait the required time after taking the tablet before drinking?

Did you not aim to drink slowly and mindfully, and instead drink far too heavily and far too quickly?

This is very important, because as I say, you need to recognise it so that you can take action next time around and stop this situation before it even begins.

• Posted

I was wondering where you were...I wanted to start a Paper Fairy post...to get your attention...but that was done to me on another forum years ago and i was happy and sad by the post...so I didn't know what to do.  I could have sent you a private message..but..I didn't THINK of it....

​Not eating and week benders are really bad.  Hallucinations are scary..at least you know you have to drink to starve them off.

​Thank you for checking in because I know it is hard when I AM drinking to even log on the computer..I don't care about ANYTHING when I am drinking and my eyes can't focus to type so I just don't do it.

​The hallucination of you looking at you dead...scares me....when I quit drinking for 8 years...the day I stopped was because I had an hallucination while staring at the wall sitting on the floor near my bed (I had tried to get up to go to the bathroom and had no strength, slouched to floor)...and there were "REAPERS" walking with sticks...leading me to death.....I didn't know they were leading me to death...I just assumed it.

​It scared the h*ll out of me...I drank that day but ended up in hospital....I can still see that hallucination clearly. 

​I read how Joanna mentioned you were doing so good and she was surprised you are in this condition.  That surprised me..because that is how we are...we can be on an excellent track one day...and then boom....we think we "have" it under control and before we know it...we don't.

​I hope you start feeling better...you know from experience you have to feel worse before you feel better.  Thinking of you often!

• Posted

''​I read how Joanna mentioned you were doing so good and she was surprised you are in this condition.  That surprised me..because that is how we are...we can be on an excellent track one day...and then boom....we think we "have" it under control and before we know it...we don't.''

Thanks, Misssy, I should probably clarify what I meant here.....

When using this medication correctly, going on benders like this is very, very, very, VERY unusual.  So that is what surprised me, and hence why I am trying to clarify what element of the method went wrong so that PF can learn from it, and be sure not to repeat it. 

In instances like this, it is actually not usually the method that is not working, but the human element of it (not taking the tablet, not waiting the time etc).  That makes it even more important that PF figures what part of the procedure she never quite got done on this occasion, so that this can be assured of not happening again.

When using this medication, if used correctly, it removes the usual factor of 'we are alcoholics, so we drink'.  Benders usually only happen due to the endorphin rush in our brain overpowering us, so if the medication is taken correctly then the endorphin rush doesn't happen, hence the bender doesn't happen either.  If used correctly, those taking it literally DO have control. 

Whatever happened, it needs to be corrected so that it doesn't happen again.  That's what I'm trying to establish for PF.

Hope that makes sense! biggrin

• Posted

Thanks for reply misssy. Bad news, depression and fears made me not drink mindfully. So ended up getting a box of wine, vodka on the last day, Wednesday. I was just in the wrong place in my head and thought sh*t, had enough. A friend joined in as her mums just died and she's got divorced..well I'm rambling now! X
    • Posted

No, I understand your purpose smile....its just that as a active alcoholic....I wasn't surprised...and I WAS surprised that as somone (yourself) that has been thru this disease...was suprised at one of us going off track...that's all.

I think your wonderful and patient....and this forum is lucky to have you....

• Posted

The thing is paperfairy...we know about the bad news and depression and we both had a period of time of sobriety and went thru all that stuff.  i don't know why...we can't GET it this time. 

​I know for sure if I wasn't being tested for alcohol....I would have drank last night. I too have so much sh*t going on....so many medical appointments...so much uncertainty about the future..so much family drama....so much relationship drama.

​I had a migraine for a day and I have had the after affects for 4 days...and YESTERDAY I was beside myself in tears because I couldn't take these after effects of tiredness...and fear any longer..and wanted to drink to feel different than how I have been feeling.  But, again...these drug tests...will play a big part in my "disability" claim.  I don't think they want to dish out money to someone who is getting drunk.

​It was my idea to be tested...what a dumb idea!  LOL....but not really it is keeping me sober.  But, like you I can't deal with life...on lifes terms....alcohol helps me not to deal with ANYTHING at least for a few hours...and then I deal with the H*LL of the withdrawals.

Pretend that Joanna is your Dr...and she is testing you...and keeping tabs on you and force yourself to wait after taking that pill!

• Posted

Help please

going to daughters birthday party. Oh accused me of drinking, but my anxiety and drinking are similar. But yes'm drunk. Do I go or not. Need some help quickly 

• Posted

Hi Vickylou.  If you are drunk,  don't go.  Text an illness excuse... upset stomach, well alcohol does upset the stomach !

If you sober up... maybe go much later on.  Only if sober... do a lot of teethbrushing, mouthwash gargling etc.

It is your decision... but they know when you have been drinking.  We only are fooling ourselves.

I don't want to hurt your feelings, but... it would spoil her birthday if you appear drunk.

Blessings and Strength to you.

Alonangel 🎇

• Posted

OH NO...I just saw this...I am SO sorry....And Angel....said don't go....I hope you didn't go...I would have said the same thing.....who is OH that accussed you? Your husband?  Doesn't matter...they would be able to tell...

​I'm so sorry I wasn't here and glad Angel was...I hope you feel better.

• Posted

Hi too have only just looked at emails and I agree with missy that Angel gave the same advice I would have done. Though this is irrelevant now. I am so sorry I wasn't there for you and pray you are okay and get through this.

I've been asleep all day as a friend gave me diazepam as was still having bad AWS and wow did it work for me. What a massive difference.

Hope you are all coping this weekend and blessings too you xxx

• Posted

'a friend gave me diazepam as was still having bad AWS and wow did it work for me. What a massive difference.'

Have you not had diazepam before?

• Posted

Sorry for delayed reply. Have had diazepam before for anxiety but not for AWS. It certainly stopped the worst symptoms. I can't understand why doctors are unwilling to give it, even occasionally, for withdrawals. Probably because they have never experienced what it's like to go through. They think it's just like a hangover normal people have! Hey ho. Been sober 5 days now. Still not been out in the big wide world!!
    • Posted

I think they don't give it because they don't TRUST alcoholics....they think we will abuse the pills as well.
    • Posted

Hi misssy and all

many thanks for the replies about my daughters birthday. Misssy oh meant other half as in husband.

yes I admitted I'd drank and we went later on. Just had soft drinks. Hubby miffed as he wanted a skinful as did two sons.

problem being, they would be fine next morning, one run the London marathon after two pints on Friday . Am sober at home now, although feeling really mad after watching that stupid documentary about drinking to oblivion last night.

• Posted

I wasn't able to watch the documentary because I am in the US...but why are you really mad about it?

​What does "skinful" mean? 

​Its good you went to the party and weren't sh*t faced....I'm sorry you are struggling...sad

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.