cranberry juice is horrible..just saying

Posted , 8 users are following.

It has been suggested to me to drink cranberry juice to help my liver detox in hopes of having a negative alcohol screening next week.

​It tastes horrilbe and all I could think that would make it taste better is some vodka or something....but NO...I'm going to nurse this jug I bought all day...straight cranberry juice!

1 like, 54 replies

54 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi misssy and Joanna. My reply has been moderated and I'm fed up now!

Basically I had bad news, drank more than a bottle. Hangover depression the next day. So carried on. Was taking my naltrexone but may not have waited long enough a couple of times. Was the opposite on mindful. So I know where I've gone wrong. I really want this to work so will try very hard. So angry with me! X

I had bubbles and things coming out the walls and spiders legs on the bed. Scary stuff xx

• Posted

Don't be angry, rather try to direct that anger into finding the 'thing' that will break your normal reaction to bad news so that you force yourself to wait the time out until you can drink.

From what I recall, a similar thing happened a little while ago when you received an unexpected phone bill.

We can now assume from this that this type of shock/unexpected news is a trigger for you.  You go into auto-pilot as your craving responds strongly to the trigger.  The key is to do something to interrupt that auto-pilot just long enough for that hour to pass.

Here is what I would suggest, but it is only a suggestion.  Only you can make the change to interrupt the process, otherwise this is going to happen again and again and again.  Unfortunately, we can't go through life without receiving bad or shocking news from time to time.

It appears from what you say above that you took the naltrexone.  That is something that you didn't used to do, so you know that a small change can happen if you try.

So... all we are looking for is 1 hour between taking the tablet and drinking.  What can you do for 1 hour?

You have my phone number so what I would suggest is that you try calling me and talking to me from taking the pill to when you can drink.  I may not be home of course, so you could do with a set of three or four phone numbers that you can call on in an emergency such as what happened here.  As I've recently mentioned to someone else on here, change is what happens when we take one step outside our comfort zone and do one thing different.

The number 1 priority is taking the pill and you did that.  Well done!

The number 2 priority is waiting the hour, which is what you need to work on.

The number 3 priority is drinking mindfully, which is much, much easier when the hour is up and the naltrexone is working correctly in your brain.

You can't do 3, without doing 1 AND 2 first.  Once you have 1 and 2 sorted every time you drink, then we can work on priority 3, ok?

• Posted

Thank you for reply and advice. I'm going to go to the gym or will try phone you while the hour sets in.That is what I was doing before and it was working. Read, tv anything . This won't happen again. I always carry my them with in case of problems.

Fingers crossed. Thanks for all your help and hope you have a nice weekend. Haven't drank today x

• Posted

Hi friend smile...your awesome...and trying so hard...its impressive....I'm always thinking of you and I know you can do this...I know you WILL.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.