Crippling Depression in Late Perimenopause

Posted , 13 users are following.

I am a year into this depression now, and I am finding it hard to continue to find the strength to keep going forward. I keep telling myself that this isn't a life sentence, and it has to end some time, but it is becoming increasingly difficult to bear and to continue to find the hope to go on.

I still have times when I feel completely well, or almost well, and I relish them, but then I plummet into the most painful abyss, and I just can't seem to find my way out, when I am there.

I am starting to trial different medications, such as mood stabilizers, with my psychiatrist's guidance, as walking this road unmedicated feels unbearable at times.

When I am balanced, everything seems in perspective, but then I just fall off of the deep end, and I feel so cheated and robbed of my happiness.

I am a super strong person, and I have done everything that I know how to do to get better, but overriding hormone fluctuations seems a near impossibility.

Please tell me that things will get better with time.

4 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Yes, they will bet better with time, even though It seems like it's taking forever. Soon you will have more good than bad. Relish the good ones.  It's a shame that hormones can affect you like this. ((((hugs)))

• Posted

Bev, like others have mentioned, keeping a journal always helped me. I can always look back to the last bad spell and see approximately how long it lasted and that yes, it did pass. Even when I was in a "good" time, I would read past entries and it would help me to see how it's just a vicious cycle. You will get through this, one day at a time....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.