Crutches

Posted , 4 users are following.

Morning everyone and Merry Christmas to you all...:-)

Those of you on crutches, how are you coping?  My writs are becoming increasingly painful, especially my left wrist, I worry that my wrist will give way and I will come crashing down to the ground.  

It doesn't help that I have a right shoulder impingement and a left him laberal tear.  

Feeling drained, and it will only be 3 weeks on Saturday and I believe I have weeks of this to go

0 likes, 104 replies

104 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Denise

| have to use my crutches permanently now soI bought myself some flexifeet

They are a bit like shock absorbers that fit on the bottom of your crutch instead of the ordinary ferrule

It eases aches and pains in wrists and shoulders........How long do you have to use them? You dont say

Love

Eileen    UK

• Posted

Hello Eileen, it's only a broken ankle, so I'm guessing just several weeks, maybe longer if there are any complications, but it's not permanent.

Those crutches sound brilliant though, how much are they if you don't mind me asking?  I'm only considering it because I should also be having a hip operation next year which will put me back onto crutches for a while.

• Posted

Hi Denise,

I got them because after my 2 THR I had a fracture in my hip and I thought if I have to use them all the time why use NHS ones.....thats OK for 6 weeks or so

The crutches themselves I got online they were £43 for a pair which I didnt think was bad if I thought about them as an accessory like ear rings, make up, glasses etc

By the way my fracture was nothing to do with the THR so dont let thatput you off if you do have to have one........it fractured easily because they diagnosed me later with osteoporosis so my bones were very fragile

My first THR was fine

Love

Eileen

• Posted

I agree, sounds sensible to get something more comfortable if you have to use them long-term.  

I haven’t had my bone density tested yet, I assume they will do that once the facture has healed.  I know that the risk of sustaining a fracture goes up with age, and this is the first break I've ever had.  Although I do suspect that I may have had a hairline fracture or some soft tissue damage prior to the break as I had been having pain and swelling for a few years on and off prior to this accident.  

Those crutches sound reasonable enough, I had to buy some when we were in La Palma to help me get around and get home, but the fracture clinic replaced them once I got seen.  If this is going to go on much longer, I might just considerate it.  

How do you find the stairs?  I'm getting the hang of them now, but still always a bit nervous on them.  This has been made worse with my wrist pain, another joint that I have had difficulies with in the past.  

I know I have osteoarthritis of the hips, not sure about any other joint as they've never bothered to x-ray them.  

• Posted

Hi

The stairs....well when I broke my ankle in a few places and was on crutches and not allowed to put that foot down for quite a few weeks.

The hospital wouldnt let me out until I could do a flight of stairs with an UNDERAM crutch, hold the bannister with the other hand and hop!!!!!! I had OA in my hips then. I thought I'll do it if it kills me......I did it and they were pleased and let me out.

I borrowed a couple of crutches from a friend who was no longer using them and kept them upstairs and mine downstairs......I sat down on the stairs and went up on my bum  LOL then the other crutches were upstairs to help me when i got there.  Came down the same way. It was a lot safer than hopping up with an underam crutch.

I thought it might tighten my muscles  lol......no luck...oh well.

That was 6 years ago and i still have a plate, screws and pins in it......nearly bionic

Have a great day

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Crikey, sounds awful.  Let's hope this isn't something that I have to look forward to.

You too, have a good one...:-D

• Posted

Keep in there, try and focus on what you can do. First time I have been on crutches for xmas thankfully no visitors until Monday when the grandchildren come. I am nearing the end but it's my knee is the problem walking differently upsets so many other places, and I broke a piece of bone on this one a few years back, so reacts.  Hope your sleeping okay, that's the worse thing.  But enough negativity, look around you can always see people worse off.  Have a restful xmas and try and keep positive.x
    • Posted

That's true Christine, it's not that bad in the grand scheme of things is it?  Thanks for the support, we have my daughters and my grandaughter for Christmas dinner, but thankfully my husband is a terrific cook....:-)

I don't think you sleep as well when in pain that's for sure, I'm exhausted, I hope you're starting to sleep better now...:-)

• Posted

Sleep is better than it was but how I  long to sleep all the way through.  I have osteoporosis so have to watch my back which Is more reason to get off these crutches.

keep smiling 😀. xx

• Posted

Oh dear, another osteoporosis sufferer, that's my biggest fear right now.  I haven't been tested yet, but I'm assuming they will once I'm up and about again, I think once you start breaking bones they like to test this just to make sure.  

I hope you can at least enjoy your Christmas Christine.xxx

• Posted

Lots of us out there with osteoporosis, nothing much one can do, I went to gym 3 times a week, walked, not overweight eat healthy, but there you go just have to get on with it. Just a little scared of falling, only one verterbrae fracture thus far which has now mended, not sure the ankle was because of osteoporosis. Great we can support each other. Xx
    • Posted

Yes it is, sounds like a nice place to come when you need a little extra support.  

I wonder why so much osteoporosis these days, I've met a few lately.  It doesn't tend to get diagnosed until you start breaking things though does it?  

Like you, I keep fit and eat healthy, these are supposed to be protective measures aren't they?  But I guess it's all down to genetics and childhood diet, although I dont't know much about it as yet, hoping I'm not going to need to find out.:-)

• Posted

It's more highlighted these days always been around but not much attention to it, I think they only started recording cases back in the 80's .  But things are progressing NOS site is useful. Did go on a osteoporosis website via Facebook, but mainly Americans who are quite negative so did not stay on it. 
    • Posted

LOL...thanks for the heads up, just in case I will need the support Christine..:-D
  • Posted

Hi

Yes I think they will send you for a DEXA scan when you are recovered.

If they find anything it might just be osteopinia, thats the precursor to osteoporosis. If you change lifestyle it will keepOP at bay and the GP may give you some meds as a preventative

Love

Eileen

• Posted

OK thank you Eileen, I guess I will have to cross that bridge when I come to it, feeling a bit nervous about it I must say.  

I hope you're able to enjoy your Christmas this year xxx

• Posted

Hi Denise

I'm enjoying my Christmas thanks....what about you?

We have just come back from My son's daughter in laws and grandaughter....they did lunch this year....we have done it for the past 37 years.

We picked Sarah my daughter up on the way and Annas mam and dad were there as well.

Although we've done nothing except eat too muchcheesygrin I'm shattered

We are hosting boxing day.....Peters family. 2 sisters 1 brother and us....we all have 2 children {in their 30's roughly} and a lot of them have childreneek  So they could all come but its doubtful....as they grow up they have their own  things to do.....like Sarah who has a boyfriend and he's a chef.....he's working today but off tomorrow and back again the following day. They are making tomorrow their Christmas day although they are coming to us for a while. There should be a minimum of 14 thats all I know.....its buffet style and others bring things as well.

We'll see how it goes

Enjoy yourself whatever you are doing

Love

Eileen   UK

• Posted

Sounds fabulous Eileen. Our Christmas is much quieter than yours, we had both my daughters and granddaughter over for Christmas dinner and hubby cooked. Playing games now.....:-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.