Crutches

Posted , 4 users are following.

Morning everyone and Merry Christmas to you all...:-)

Those of you on crutches, how are you coping?  My writs are becoming increasingly painful, especially my left wrist, I worry that my wrist will give way and I will come crashing down to the ground.  

It doesn't help that I have a right shoulder impingement and a left him laberal tear.  

Feeling drained, and it will only be 3 weeks on Saturday and I believe I have weeks of this to go

0 likes, 104 replies

104 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

denise57   I have to walk with one elbow crutch in right arm which means i dont' have the use of my right arm or hand or wrist. I manage. I think of others without any limbs or arms when they returned from such as Afghanistan and I do not whimper. I think I am very fortunate. The main problem is making sure you don't come crashing down when walking on snow or ice.  These crutches all have rubber tips! Ridiculous invention when you think of it. But the crutch is handy to switch lights on and off and to close doors. Mine is with me for the rest of my life so you are lucky if yours is just for a matter of weeks. The thing is we cannot do without such support so there is nothing we can do but grin and bear it and think ourselves lucky! Best wishes
    • Posted

Hi Mayday

I have to walk wih 2 crutches which means I have no arms free.

I agre about people returning from Afghanistan etc   but surely it doesnt stop you trying to find ways to make things more comfortable or easier for yourself?

The rubber tips are ridiculous but you can get tips for walking on ice.

Mine are for life so you are lucky that at least you only have one for life and have one free hand

Best wishes for 20i5

Love

Eileen     UK

• Posted

and you have been a great help in offering advice Eileen in how to make things easier.

Thank you.:-D

• Posted

get an old pair of socks and put the toe end over the tip of crutch secure with elastic band. Works like using the socks over shoes to stop slipping. all the best and thank you for your service in Afghanistan, Respect.
    • Posted

Hi Lorna

We have snow on the ground this morning, and I have to take my daughter to the doctors this afternoon, and am still unable to drive, so I'm going to try this, putting socks over the end of the crutches.  

Thanx for the tip.....:-)

Denise

• Posted

Hi

My heart sandk when I looked out and saw how much snow there wascry

Oh well....dont have far to  go on foot so I'll just have to be careful

Love

Eileen  UK

• Posted

It wasn't too bad here Eileen, the socks didn't work for me, ended up taking them off, but most of the snow had cleared by the time we went out.  

I have my physio this morning, so fingers crossed it's not icy out there.  At least I am able to bear weight now, it makes it so much easier.  I'm even shuffling around the house without crutches now.  

I've been doing my physio religiously everyday, off to get more exercises soon...:-)

Denise

• Posted

Hi Denise

Good luck for this morning....{although its now 11.30am} sorry

Let me know how it goes.

It doesnt seem icy here, snow is still in te garden and a few places like that so hope you are OK.

Love

Eileen  UK

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.