Crutches

Posted , 4 users are following.

Morning everyone and Merry Christmas to you all...:-)

Those of you on crutches, how are you coping?  My writs are becoming increasingly painful, especially my left wrist, I worry that my wrist will give way and I will come crashing down to the ground.  

It doesn't help that I have a right shoulder impingement and a left him laberal tear.  

Feeling drained, and it will only be 3 weeks on Saturday and I believe I have weeks of this to go

0 likes, 104 replies

104 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Does anyone else get hot using crutches?  I'm normally permanently frozen, due to an underactive thyroid, but I’ve been getting so hot since the fall.  
  • Posted

Ask for the shaped handgriped crutches. They are issued for arthritic patients. There a lot easier to use. Also keep crutches as close to your body as you can less stress on neck, arms and back.
    • Posted

That might help Lorna. I have a gp apt tomorrow to discuss my issues with my wrist.
  • Posted

Your local Shopmobility can loan you either a wheelchair or scooter for a short period of time until your up and about again.
  • Posted

Hi Denise

I find I get very hot when I'm out.......it seems to take a lot more energy using crutches than just walking.  Use layers so you can take them off bit at a time as you get too hot.

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Hi

Yes crazy and its harder to carry things....never liked to anyway before crrutches but now I would have a rucksack and stick them in that. 

Luckily I go to the Metro to walk most of the time so I drive there, then get out and walk and have a fair idea what I need to wear....thats a bit help. Just take a little backpack with me to carry necessities in....female necessities....purse, lippy, mirror, hankies that sort of thing

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Yes

I wouldnt be without a rucksack or a small backpack, they are a godsend

Night Night....I'm sitting in pj's now just ready for bed

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Eileen,

I use one of those cross over handbags which is infront of you all the time or try a bumbag around your waist. I used a carrier back from kitchen to living room to bring in snacks etc. I was living alone with no one calling to help during day. thankfully I was taught how to go up and down stairs with crutches. Necessity is the mother of invention.

• Posted

Hi lorna

I sometimes use a cross overbag but it doesnt hold much if you want to do a bit of shopping.

I was given a trolly but the occupational therapist so that I could use it to take into the kitchen and make a meal, and wheel it out again.

As you say necessity is the mother of invention......even before I had the crutches and had other things wrong I found different ways to do things

Most things are "doable" arent they? Unless you are one of those people who just want to sit  and think I've got arthritis {or whatever} I cant do anything

You have to be positive but at the same time there is no harm in asking for advice from others in the same position.

When I had my hip replacement  I was told to use one stick/crutch only and the bannisters onthe other side and go up thinking "good leg {one not operated} up to heaven and bad one down to hell} cheesygrin

Same coming down againcheesygrin

Take care

Love

Eileen   UK

• Posted

Fingerless gloves are also a Godsend when using crutches.  If your only on them for a few weeks it maybe difficult to get the arthritic crutches.
    • Posted

Thanks for the advice. On our way to bed now.nn speak tomorrow
    • Posted

I got padded pockets which heat runs through like padded envelopes/ electric blankets. They have a few settings and the heat does wonders for your joints. I got them from a beautician who uses them during hand manicures. There about £20 but well worth it. You can also collect sheeps wool from fences in the country, dabble it in dettol to make sure it clean. wrap around fingers in cold the natural oil from wood helps to keep fingers and joints cozy.
    • Posted

wow, fabulous idea Lorna, don't you get too warm when walking on your crutches using the heat though?

• Posted

I have come off crutches as they caused too much pain to my back, was on walking stick with Artho handle, not only use it when really need it. I wear non slip shoes, boots with low heels with non slip soles, wrap up well, walk to the inside of the path and take every day as it comes. I don't make light of others mobility, pains and disabilities. I have fractured my back, have a replacement knee, have had surgery to my thumb/wrist to remove a bone because of arthritic joints. I have ME and depression so some are hidden problems and some visable.

I have found wee tips which helped me and i'm willing to share them. heat and salt water is brillant I have a scare on my hand which is barely noticable as is my knee scar because they were bathed in rock pools in beaches near to my home.

• Posted

Tha artho handles sound like a good idea Lorna, Elaine bought her own crutches as she is a lifetime user.  I have considered buying some flexi ends that may help with pain.  I am having a hip operation next year, so they would come in handy for then too.  

Sounds like you've had a bad time of it Lorna, and we all appreciate you contributing and using your unfortunate experiences as a way of helping others, we can all use advice from time to time.  This seems like a lovely place to share ideas on how to cope with these issues temporary or otherwise,I am sure that we're all very grateful that you decided to join in.  

I have a few other issues too, that don't make it easy, but we do what we can to get by.  I do hope that 2015 is a better year for you.  You have definitely been through a lot.  

All the best

• Posted

oh so sorry, I meant Eileen, I think the codeine are making me lose my mind, the same goes to Eileen too who has also provided us with some very useful advice.  

Happy New Year to you and yours, I hope you have a good New Year and all the best for 2015

• Posted

and the same to all of you who have taken the time out to help and offer some advice, 

All the best for 2015

Happy New Year

• Posted

Hi Lorna

I tried using a stick but I wasnt at all steady so had to go back to crutches.

I wish I could use a stick.

Like you some of my illness's are visible and some invisible

I started with OA in hips, lower back, ankle and neck.....none of that was really visible but I had to find ways of doing things differently

Then they diagnosed kypho scoliosis......apparently have had it for a long time but has just been getting worse this past  or 5 years...Told not to carry things that would make my back worse.

Then one hip replacement, then a 2nd hip replacement...... 4 weeks post surgery i was doing an NHS exercise and there was a crack.....I had fractured the greater trochanter bone?? Never heard of it before but up where the replacement is. I was told there was nothing they could do about it....It would heal by itself but take a long time......eventually they told me it would never heal and I would be on crutches the rest of my life......apparently a bit of bone broke off and it has moved quite a distance so the fracture will not heal and I have a very noticable dip

I've got osteoporosis.....Oh yes....epilepsy as well  LOL I forget about that because it happened when I was 16  months old {68 now} I've been fine for 33 years now but still have to take meds to keep me stable.

Spinal stenosis as well   lol   Greedy and collect them as I go along.

Fractured your back???? that must be bad......thats the sort of thing that would frighten me.....you could so easily end up in a wheelchair.

At least we can walk....albeit with aids.

Love

Eileen  UK

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.