Crutches for Life?

Posted , 13 users are following.

I have been looking at Hip Replacement since 2009 and been on crutches almost as long while I search for the proper implant for me.  Unless something better shows up in the next year, I would consider staying on crutches for the rest of my life. I am 64.

Does anyone have any knowledge of any problems that could occur from the long term use of crutches?  

1 like, 53 replies

53 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Mikey

I am also 64 and since Oct 2014 I have been in dreadfull pain so much on top of Tamadol and other strong pain killer as I also have a back problem I am also on Morpine, I awe my consultant in Feb where he told me how bad here were and had my first RTHR in March, it is like a new leg, and I am wishing the days along untill I have my LTHR in July, I can not imagine being in the pain I am in and having to strugle to carry on trying to walk on cructhes, why would you want ti. I had a titainium rod around 6" long with a ball on the end and some type of silicurt covering the ball, also with a titainium cup to which the ball fits in.

if you don't mind me asking what is the reason that you are not having it done, I think that there is only 2 or 3 types of replacements but don't take that as fact, if you follow this group you will find people that have had both good and bad results with the surgery, which may help you to decide, I can only speak for myself and if had to spend the rest of my life in that pain and on cructhes, I would be thinking of! well I'll leave that to your imagination.

I can only wish you all the best in which ever way you decide to go

Regards

Ron

• Posted

Thanks for your input RonC:

It sounds like you mean oxinium Ball.  The wear particles do not appear to be inert in the body.  I found information at the places I mentioned to Markm49uk below.

I only wanted, in this discussion, to understand the longterm use of crutches and any problems associated with it.  So I can make an informed decision about the choice I need to make.  I've been on crutches for more than 6 years, so I guess that I have some experience to answer that myself.

It was not clear to me before that there are other options besides THR, but crutches now look like a reasonable alternative to me.  

Any replacement with metal or plastic is guaranteed to cause problems for me.  Even ceramic has lesser problems with taper corrosion causing metallosis.  If I get any of these implants I cannot fix the problems that will arise.  

When I was told that a THR was inevitable in 2009 I looked at Birmingham Metal on Metal.  Finally I settled on Ceramic on Ceramic.  Almost zero wear, inert in the body.  I decided on 36mm ball to avoid dislocation problems.  I went to sign the papers to order it and the price I pay jumped from $1750 to $4000.  I decided to wait and see about the smaller ball.  In the meantime I learned about taper fretting, crevice corrosion and galvanic corrosion.  So those metal ions from the corrosion are going to get into my system if I get a THR and they won't if I don't.

The only reason for a THR seems to be the pain.  But lots of people have pain with the THR.  So I think that I have find out how to diminish the pain.  A hot water bottle works at night but I haven't had to use it for more than a month. 

Recently I was putting metal on a barn roof.  I had to climb 20 feet up and down a ladder,  many mant times.  First I was doing one leg at a time, injured leg stiff.  But I decided to force my self through the pain and do one leg after the other.  It was tough and painful and I had a hard time walking with crutches that night and the next day.  But I continued to force myself to climb the ladder one foot after the other.  After I used the hot water bottle a few nights, I tried climbing stairs one foot after the other.  And I can do it now, minimal pain and I haven't been able to climb stairs like that for more than 6 years.  So at the present time that looks promising.

I can advise to any one who cares, that when you walk up the stairs you can use 2 crutches.  But when you go down the stairs put both crutches in one hand on the good side and hold the rail with the other hand.  I tried going down the stairs on crutches and my right crutch slipped off the stair to the step below while the left crutch stayed where was.  The resulting momentum pole vaulted me off the stairs and I landed hard.  Fortunately there were only two steps.  If it woud have been a flight of stairs, it would have been hospital or morgue.

Thanks again RonC,

Mikey  

• Posted

Hi Kikey no problem I can only hope that you have found the answers that help you make your choice, I was in a wheel chair for quite some time so going on crutches was a blessing for me this was due to an accident no relation to my hips, I can understand your worries but as I said you have to be sure your self that what ever way you choose is as best as possible for you, all I can do is wish you well what ever way you choose

Best Regards

Ron

• Posted

I think the term for what you are doing is called avoidence.

You are avoiding the surgery by claiming that no hip prosthesis is good enough for you. Look at all of us, we all got one, my surgeon asked me a few questions and then said he was using the plastic one and that was it.

Of course you may be receiving sympathy and attention being on crutches & all, however the joy of living a normal life virtually (well now and then a pain here or there) virtually pain free like normal people is so so so far better than the sympathy & attention I used to receive when I was handicapped with my bad hip.

• Posted

Hi Jodi-France:

Thankyou for putting a name to it.  Since I understood that a THR meant cutting the top of my leg off I looked for any way I could to avoid that.  I originally thought that the Birmingham resurfacing was the way to go because they just chamfer the ball.  If it would have come in ceramic on ceramic instead of metal on metal I would have opted for that years ago.  I also found that capping the ball can cause the bone to die underneath.

I live in the wliderness on a small farm.  I don't see many people.  My wife doesn't give me any sympathy at all, and I know if I complain she will push very hard for the THR.  So I don't complain.  I carry the water for her for the animals in a 20 litre bucket, both crutches in one hand, bucket on the injured side.  And when she wants to clean the stalls I shovel manure and wheel the barrow.  It is not possible to wheel the barrow and use crutches at the same time.  So I do it without crutches. And I don't complain. And I don't get any sympathy. And it is painful, more at some times than othertimes.  I do however get thanks for helping.  And since we have been together for over 42 years...

Mikey

• Posted

Hi Mikey,

We need a certain amount of impact exercise to keep our bones strong and to prevent osteoporosis. So by being on crutches you will be avoiding any impact.

Do you have to use 2 crutches? Couldn't you try using just one (on the opposite side to your affected leg)? Or a stick?

Do you know, I haven't a clue what sort of replacement I've been given. It was the last thing on my mind. I trusted my surgeon to use the implant that would be best for me. But I will ask when I go for my 6 week check up!

I didn't even contemplate using crutches before my op even though my hip was sooo painful.

I would go to your gp, get referred to a surgeon and get that replacement ASAP!

anna x

• Posted

Hi Anna:

Do check what your implant is made of, all 4 parts- stem, ball, cup and liner.  When you know that, you can check at some of the medical websites mentioned to Makm49uk below and find out what the potential problems can be, and what you can do about them.  Then you can tell your doctor what you would like to be monitored for, either by blood test for metal ions or x-ray for bone loss or other.  I think that way your hip will last as long as possible without serious complications.

Mikey  

• Posted

Hi Mikey .... How are you doing? just checking in with you ... I hope that you don;t think that we are judging you or your decision .. just that it seems daunting to even think of being on crutches for the rest of my life when there is a solution .... what are you so afraid of? I was in denial for a long time, hoping that it would just go away ... well, it did not Mikey ... take care and let us know how you are doing.. there is great support here for you ... warm hug ...
  • Posted

Dear Mickey ... you asked a question about use of long term crutches on this hip replacement forum ... it does not seem that we can give you an answer that will satisfy you ... there are always risks involved in anything one does - getting a pedicure might cause horrible infection, getting a tooth pulled maybe even death etc. ... But I am sure that you are aware of this - 

You have made your decision based on your findings and so, crutches it is ... that is totally okay ... we are not here to convince you otherwise, just sharing our experience after THR ... 

be well and take care Mikey ...

big hug 

renee

• Posted

Hi Renee:

Thanks for both of your replies.  I haven't made my final decision yet.  It is only the pain that makes us think we need a THR.  If we could control the pain without drugs 'nobody' would need a THR.  I have never used drugs for pain or any other reason for the hip.  My best buddy for pain was the hot water bottle.  No side effects, unless it leaks.

Maybe in a year they'll have a better solution than the present ones.  I'll wait.  

Mikey

• Posted

Stop spreading FUD and scaring people - if you want to spend your life on crutches then so be it but the rest of us will accept the risk and have 20+ years of normality and fun.  Your choice but I know what I would choose(and I'm only 44).
    • Posted

Hi Mark:

I have never heard the term FUD.  Can you please explain it?  

I don't understand how you equate knowing the truth with scaring people.  Some people will get 20 years before the problems occur.  A lot of people on this site, don't get 20 years before the problems occur.  And there are quite a few problems on this site showing up earlier than ever before.

Not knowing what can happen if you use metal or plastic in the prosthesis doesn't prevent it from happening!  If people know and are told the truth and they want to take the risks or certainties so that they can have fun for 20 years, then that is their choice and they have freedom to choose.  But if they were to say as a vocal group to the Health Provider,  " We need the implant but we want it free of potential problems", then perhaps they would make one that even I could be comfortable with.  I know that you speak for the rest of the people besides me,  but I don't have what it takes to make a decision that accepts certainties as risks as you have been able  to do.  If the rest of the people are willing to accept mediocrity in hip design implants, they will keep making them, and the people from now on will have no other implant to choose from.

Think about it Mark.  If you have a choice between the present types of implants with their inherent problems or an implant that lasts for 50+ years completely compatible with the body, are you going to take the risk or certainty with the first one?  Essentially that is my point.

This post only requested information about the long term use of crutches, in order to inform my decision for the future.  My wait list still has over a year to go.  In fact I have to wait over 7 months just to ask the surgeon a question regarding the size of the ball.

In the meantime I inform any one who is interested in what I have learned.  And I also write to the manufacturers to question and ecourage them to find solutions that will benefit everyone.  I hope you get your 20 years and have fun.

Mikey    

• Posted

The fact that you are even considering a life on crutches and that you have to wait 7 months to see the surgeon sugests that you may not be in the pain that I was and am I was diagnosed with both hips needing to be done and dispite all my pain killers like tramadol, dithydrocodine and morphine I could only walk about 7 yds on crutches and with terrible pain, I was reffered to the hospital in Jan, I see the surgeon in Feb and had the first hip done in Mar and my second one is due to be done 3 weeks today in Jul, even with my right hip being done and it works like a new hip with no pain, I can still only walk with cructhes because of the pain in the left hip, I would never insult anybodys pain but as you can see by mine that the worse they are the quicker you get done or given the choice to have it done though its not always the way

Good luck with which either way you choose

Regards  RonC

• Posted

You are incorrect - the issues you are refering to are related to metal on metal implants that are no longer used.  The conditions which you allude to are as a result of the metal on metal action imparting tiny metal particles in the tissues surrounding the hip joint and the body reacting to these resulting in the issues you have described.

Find me relevant, current, peer reviewed literature that in any way implies this issues are relevant to todays implants - I bet you cannot.

• Posted

Also the conditions to which you refer are as a result on the older metal-on-metal implants used in the 80's and 90's.  These implants are no longer used so your points are moot.
    • Posted

well not sure thats correct mark I had a RTHR Mar 21st and was told that it was made of Titainiun but where the ball fitted in the socket it was covered in a silicuit of some kind and that I will be getting the same with my LTHR in July

Regards  Ron

• Posted

No Ron it is correct.  The actual ball and the cup used to be made of metal - now they are plastic or ceramic generally.  Yes the stem is metal (titanium or similar) but the actual parts that rub against each other are no longer metal on metal - this did lead to complications and was the subject of lawsuits in the US and the UK - Smith & Nephew were one of the companies implicated in this.  

What Mikey123 is saying is simply not true for todays implants - yes there are some risks that we are all aware of but metallosis, aseptic loosening of the implant, bone loss, pseudo tumor, dead tissue from the metallosis etc are not issues that we face today.

• Posted

Mikey I am also 64 but reading some of your posts it seams to me that you don't want a THR, I have had one and the second in a couple of weeks all I can say that any relief from the pain that I was and still am with the other hip was so extreem that I could not go on with much more. for some peole I know some myself are frightened to death of the thought of the op and won't have it done, I don't condem them its their choice. but you first posted about living life on crutches etc, since then all you have done is give negitive coments and alsorts of medical reports which seams miles away from your post, their are people who have had problems after a THR but many like me that has worked better than all my dreams. If you want to know what problems would be then you should be contacting consultants etc as with no insult to anyone who is one as most of the people here are not and are just asking for other peoples advice, I found quite a few tips handy on this site, so I sugest you see the experts as most of can't even understand the medical reports you post. if you decide to live the rest of your life on crutches good luck to you, and if you do decide to have it done then i'm sure that you get nothing but support from the good people on this forum.

Best Regards

Ron

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.