Crutches for Life?

Posted , 13 users are following.

I have been looking at Hip Replacement since 2009 and been on crutches almost as long while I search for the proper implant for me.  Unless something better shows up in the next year, I would consider staying on crutches for the rest of my life. I am 64.

Does anyone have any knowledge of any problems that could occur from the long term use of crutches?  

1 like, 53 replies

53 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Are you a medic? I have searched for Donna2015 and Christine83627 and they do not come up, so you want to spend the rest of your life on crutches, your choice. No replacement will last for life unless your 90 with one foot in the grave, please stop trying to frighten people, I am a medic, my THR was done following a life threatening accident and I am glad to both have my life back and walk. I think you possibly need help but only you can decide.
  • Posted

You may not be aware but, every reply, every discussion you read is monitored, there is no one in your history with the id of Donna2015 or Christine83627. If you are having problems then please say, many here will try to help you, you come over as angry and hurt but that will not solve problems.

Sorry if you think I am being cruel, that is not what I intend, we all need a shoulder sometimes so reach out and help is there.

Very best wishes, Dot.

• Posted

Wow what a Thorny issue this thread has been...I will add to my firts post by saying that life on crutches is not really an option as if anyone will not have the implant, then the legs waste away, and the Hip Joint will collapse, so the person will not walk again, and be in a wheelchair...Thats a bad look on life and not really a choice, but seems some folks do seem to make that choice.

Kind regards Ian

• Posted

Hi Ian we that was another angle that I think no has mention, as I think that most all the responces have been about what could happen if you had the implant, I may be wrong but I think that you are the first to mention that.so now there could be a diisusion on " How long on crutches before your in a wheelchair? " thats quite a choice

Regards Ron

• Posted

Hi Ian and Ron:

I visit a OLD FOLKS' HOME regularly, to see an old friend.  If they walk with a walker first, they progress to a wheelchair, finally becoming bedridden and exiting on a dolly horizontally.

Are you saying that if I walk on crutches I'll be in a wheelchair sooner than someone that never uses crutches?  ...leg wastes away, joint collapses...I was looking for some proof (not an assumption) so that I could make an informed decision, without having to test the whole procedure.  I obviously don't learn anything beforehand that way.

In fairness, there is another part of the questiion.  If someone like me puts metal and plastic (a hip prosthesis) into their body, how long before the problems associated with that, (mentioned in my other posts) before I end up in a wheel chair?   I believe with 100% certainty that if anything can go wrong it will.  

Did either of you know about the potential problems with the implants before you made your decosion to get one?

I want to examine all my options.

Mikey   

• Posted

i was aware of the complications that can happen before I was referred to the consultant. At consultation both he, and his staff went through them, also explaining that the hospital never used metal on metal and that research was ongoing into the remaining implants. The more immediate complications were also discussed, I researched the percentage occurrence and decided to go ahead. No one would opt for an implant unless necessary, but after weighing it all up the high percentage of a successful THR and the improvement in quality of life for 15 + years I went ahead. So far so very good. Maybe by the time I need the other one doing the resesrch involving stem cell repair that is currently ongoing will have come to fruition, however I was not prepared to wait that long for the first one.

• Posted

Yes I asked about the different Hip replacements, and the surgeon told me that they do not use metal any more, and I would get a ceramic one, so I knew about the risks, and even asked him how many he had done..he, was not upset, and smiled at my question... and then said over a hundred and he could help me get my life back, so I am happy and put all my eggs into one basket, as you will have to do soon.

They dont use metal ones anymore...just aks and get the answer dont keep worrying so just get it going and dont waste time, I am not even on a list now found that out today....and the surgeon said I was,,, but I am not, so wait will be at least three more months of serious pain, have to go back to work with this pain in my left side, that is almost unbearable, I work for a living and have a mortgage to pay, looking at half pay soon too...but will get through it I hope with a mortgage holiday, lucky I am 55 yrs this year and can draw some cash from my pension, that will be the only way I can manage this problem, thought it greaves me to do that this way...

Kind regards Ian.

• Posted

Hi Maggie:

As you say Metal on Metal is bad.  Metal on Plastic is also bad.  'So far so very good' and may it continue well for you.  I appreciate that you went into this with both eyes open and understood the percentage occurrence and made your decision. Good on you.  

Most people don't even ask.

Mikey 

• Posted

Hi Ian thanks for your response.

I have chickens.  One thing I learned early is that you never use a basket for eggs.  Individually in a carton!  It applies here as well.

I am sorry for your money woes.  I couldn't work for a living any more after 58. It is beyond the scope of this post to explain what I did.  But I hope that your plan works for you.

If you are in lots of pain try the hot water bottle at night, even during the day also, if you can rest for awhile.  A tumeric with black pepper pill will help lessen the inflamation also.  Try it for a week and see if you get improvement.  I did.

Mikey

• Posted

Hi Mikey I won't bother you in listing all my problems and the amounts of drugs that I need to take, I was in extreem pain and could only hoble along a few yds on crutches, like I am 64 ,well pension next month, the aswer to your question  

(Did either of you know about the potential problems with the implants before you made your decosion to get one)

is no it never entered my mind, I know that as with all drug, injections etc there are risks, but to be honest I personaly would still take chance as I did with my Right THR and my Left THR in a couple of weeks time.

Mikey dispite what anyone says there are always risks and I agree you need to decide what you think is the best option for you, as I said forr me there was no option as I could not go on as I was, my right leg is now great, hoping soo my left will be simular

I ca only wish you the best which ever you chose, I will keep you informed how I get on with my left.

Best Regards

Ron

I can only h

• Posted

Hi Mikey,

All I relate my experiences to you.

Had my first hip done, no problems with that one.

Second one was done about 16 months ago.....weeks post op I was doing an NHS exercise and there was a crack and my leg gave way.

I was taken in to hospital and told that I had fractured my Greater Trochanter Bone......it would take a long time to heal and there was nothing they could do about it.

Home on crutches. About a month later I saw the consultant that I normally see. He showed me the X Ray and said it would never heal. The bones had seperated and were too far apart to ever knit together again.   So For 16 months I've been on crutches and have accepted that I will be for the rest of my life.

I'm now 69, was67 when I had my 2nd one done

I'm very lucky.....I have a car and can still drive so I throw the crutches in the back and go......no way am I going to let it beat me.  The first thing I did when I discopvered it was permanent was think I'm not going to use those NHS crutches....lets have a decent pair, so onlline I got myself a lilac pair and then a pink pair.....I know that wont apply to youcheesygrin  but the attitude is the same.

So I'm out and about as much as possible. I volunteer for Arthritis Care

I would rather be without crutches but I'm coping OK

it's your deciseion and I wish you luck

Love

Eileen  UK

• Posted

Hi Eileen:

I like your attitude and your crutches.  Keep it up!

I looked up greater trochanter bone fracture, and having a doctor re-attach it with a screw or some other method till it healed doesn't seem to be too hard to do, although I don't know the shape of the fracture or why that doctor said no.  Perhaps a different doctor would find a different solution. Having said that you seem to have accepted it. 

So I wish you a long and happy future on crutches.  Helping others like you do, keeps your spirit up and you don't focus on yourself or feel sorry for yourself.  Good on you.

Thanks for your input to this discussion.

Mikey

• Posted

Hi Mikey

The reason the consultant said it couldnt be fixed.......you know when you get a fracture, bones part and then they have to be set and knit together again.

Well one bone moved so far that they will never knit together again.....there is a large gap {when he showed me the X Ray} not sure but I also think that some muscles came away as wellso they are not attached.

Thanks for the compliments about my attitude........I do have my "down" momentsbiggrin   but on the whole I've accepted it.

As for the crutches......last December. I wrapped fairy lights around them and had a battery attached as well LOL The older you get the dafter you get but when I went into a shopping centre...not sure what the reaction would be I was surprised at how many smiles I got and how many comments.....and these from stressed people running around trying to get last min Christmas shopping  LOL

I would love to know what you finally decide......let us know

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Hi Eileen:

My final decision day is about a year away.

It would be nice for you if the bone could be moved closer so that it could knit.

I think you found the key to personal happiness- making others happy. Even if it is just a greeting or a smile or fancy crutches.  Well done.

Mikey

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.