Crutches part ll

Posted , 6 users are following.

Morning fellow ankle sufferers, I've just got back from my GP apt and he's given me some stronger anti-inflammatory gel to put on my wrists to ease the pain whilst using crutches.  He said it was some kind of 'itis, can't remember which.  I've asked for physio since it's an ongoing problem that has been aggrevated by use of crutches.  

I was hoping for some extra support on the wrists, I forgot to ask, not sure if I should contact the fracture clinic again.  

I hope you're all doing well on this frosty morning, not really the day to be venturing out there on crutches.  

0 likes, 56 replies

56 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Denise

I hope the new antinlammatory gel works,........let me know if it does and the name of itwink

Can I suggest something....anytime you go to the consultants....make a list of questions and take it......if I dont I'm sure to come out thinking Oh Why didnt I ask that?????   $$

Also ask to be copied into letters.....so you get the information that he sends to anyone else like your GP.......that would tell you what kind of itis it was   cheesygrin

Oh yes........just come in from collecting the Avon Books and Peter said.....do you want to go to Boundary Mills this afternoon   LOL   LOL  after the talking we had been doing about it.

Love

Eileen     UK

• Posted

LOL...........that is funny, we're back over there today to the great outdoors, we go there every christmas break to pick up some new walking items.  Not sure I'll be doing much walking this year though..:-(

Hubby thinks the doctor said tenosynovitis and the gel is called Volatern Emulgel, it seems to help a little.  He's also told me to start taking my pain meds during the day again, even if I only take one codeine or half a codeine, and to keep the paracetamol topped up so that I keep the dosage topped up in my blood stream.

We might see you over there then don't forget the free wheelchair useage...:-D

• Posted

Hi Denise

Like we said on the other thread its a small world  LOL

Peter always goes to the out door place but for me on crutches permanently it has no interest so I just stay in Boundary Mills...there is more there for me to look at than Peter.

We bought a door mat......how interesting  LOL

Thanks for the name of the gel

Do the wheelchairs with the large wheels still need somewone to push them?

Eileen  UK

• Posted

Hi Eileen, I only saw one type of wheelchair.

Was your husband in great outdoors today?

I bought a new bra yesterday from boundary mill and trousers from great outdoors today. Not much but I didn't feel like a proper shop.

• Posted

Hi Denise

I saw 2 types as you go in......one with  small wheels, one with 2 large wheels? but i know nothing about wheelchairs.

Yes Peter was in great outdoors.

I wish I could have bought something today but didnt have a lot of time.....Peter was back before I had time to look around properly and although he would have waited I can never shop while he is waiting  LOL

Love

Eileen

• Posted

I got chatting to a guy in there whilst my husband was buying my trousers for me. He commented on how I wouldn't be doing any walking anytime soon as I was looking through the walking books. How weird would it be if that was Peter.... Haha
    • Posted

Hi

No it wouldnt be Peter......I did ask him......and apart from anything else he would know better than to say something like thatcheesygrin Especially with having me.

Although I am going to be on crutches.....I want to go back to Venice sometime.......No cars/trains/trams/mobility scooters/wheelchairs {at least the wheel chairs wern't allowed the last time I was there} are allowed.....so nothing motorised.

There are boats that you use as a bus or you walk......but everytime you need to cross a road its cross a bridge.......not like our flat bridges.....large, humped ones

But I'm determined to get back sometime.

Love

Eileen

• Posted

LOL.....whoever he was wasn't being mean, just striking up conversation and perhaps empathising with me a little...:-)

Venice sounds amazing, I want to go one day...:-)

Yes I remember the walkers now, I didn't really look at them, just the wheelchair as my wrists were getting quite painful by the time we had got there.  

I'm exhausted tonight, I may just get myself off to bed early tonight.  speak tomorrow....:-)

• Posted

Hi Denise

I'm shattered as well

Ready for bed and its only 9pm

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Good morning Denise -Here in Australia it is! Lovely warm day after lots of tropical rain.  

I took a med called Panadol Oesteo every 4 hours up until a few weeks ago, even if not in pain, my GP said the idea is NOT to be in pain, stop it before it begins.  I have tried the gel, over here it's called voltaren an over the counter medication, slight relief only.  

Enjoy your outing and the use of the wheelchair!  We travelled to Sydney a few weeks ago (a function we just had to attend) and the wheelchair at the airport was great, could not have done it otherwise.  Must say I never thought I'd be using this mode of transport and a big shoe.  Ho hum, how things can change! Stay focused and smile - I never thought a few weeks ago that I'd be doing as much as I am now and you will experience this too.

Warm regards, Gail 

• Posted

Sounds positive Gail thank you, the pain was immense at the beginning, even on codeine, I tried to wean off, but my wrists started to become really painful, so I'm back on it now.  

I've never heard of Panadol osteo before, I'm taking paracetamol and codeine and the gel is an anti inflammatory, I struggle with oral anti's, they upset my stomach. 

another lucky person in Aussie, so jealous....:-D

• Posted

Hello Denise,

I use crutches on a permanent basis and over the years my wrists and thumbs have gotten quite painful,  tried various supports to no avail until I found a brand called ' FUTURO'   they are very comfortable to wear even with the metal strip inserted.  They also help with the arm pain I have started to experience.  The fabric stays cool, unlike others I have tried which are made from neopreane, same as divers wet suits.

They are a little on the expensive side but so worth it.   Comfortable to sleep in as well if needed,      I do hope your ankle is soon healed and you return to a crutch free life.

Warm regards

Jessie

• Posted

Hi Jessie

Its worth looking round when you use them all the time {not just for 6 weeks or so} I use mine all the time]

I found an thing called flexie foot.....they go on the bottom of your crutches {ferrule} they are shock absorber thingeys  cheesygrin sory thats the only way I can explain them

Instead of a flat ferrule going down on the ground this goes down and bend as you move which takes a lot of pressure of different parts of your body

Google them and you'll get an idea what I mean.....I'm not very good at explaining them

If we have to use them permanently we might as well be comfortable

Love

Eileen   UK

• Posted

Hello Eileen,

funny you should say that lol,  it was reading your replies that took me to denise's crutches part ll,  which further took me to google and the 'flexyfeet' !   From reading about them I found a comment from someone saying they are hard to fit into the crutch,  seems reasonable, I have no one I could ask to do this for me - have problems with my hands as it is with everyday things.   

Will keep them in mind though,   may mention them to the local disability shop in the hopes he may decide to stock them and might also fit them - don't know till you ask !

Thankyou for the reply Eileen.

Warm regards

Jessie x

• Posted

Hi Jessie

That was funny  lol

When you get them you have to saw a bit of the crutches {I couldnt do that} because they are higher than an ordinary ferrule

Apart from that all you have to do is pull the original one off and push the flexi foot on.

I could do that but not the sawing bit  LOL

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Thanks Jessie

The crutches question seems to have evoked quite a few comments....:-D  If I remain on crutches for months rather than weeks, and the wrist pain doesn't improve, I shall definitely look into it.  I have arm pain too, it seems to start in the wrists and fingers and works it's way up to the elbow, sometimes it creeps past the elbow too.  I already suffer from these pains anyway, the use of the crutches just seems to make it worse.

Thanks for the response, it seems a popular thread....:-D

Denise

• Posted

Hello Eileen,

Saw !!   a bit off me NHS classic crutches !!!    ohhh lawdy that would not do at all lol,   I did notice they sell crutches complete with the flexy foot, same prob raises it's head... should that be foot !  when they wear out tho,  I do tend to wear then out,  a visit to physio is called for to get new ones fitted, due a visit about now actually,  will 'grow' again lol,   it's amazing what new ferrules do to the way you walk with them,  have you noticed that??     Truth be told Eileen I use the right one mostly and have a shopping trolley in my left hand - much easier for me,  my left leg  wanders/swings off on it's own sweet way using the two so the trolley helps solve this,   just a big handbag really   and wow the stuff I carry around in it - am  sure I get called the 'bag lady' here abouts lol,  rarly seen without me trolley, ohh and I have a stool attached to it via a rucksack carrier strap, fishermans stool, 18 inches high so easy riseing on the ole knees,  I can pull up and park when the notion comes over me - do try to avoid street corners though rolleyes.    Seriously it ( the stool)  is a ticket to freedom for me,  didn't get far before I got it - not that many walls around to sit down on  but with the stool,  ohhh I get to have whole days out lol,   bottle of water and a snack in me 'handbag'   spare rain jacket for if rain comes on,  spare shoes for if feet start ... etc etc  .. you get the picture  and I love it,   the trolley is approved by physio people, even got heightt set up for me,  it is an aid for walking for us folk with OA and the like,  can't drive anymore because of the left leg - dies on me  and an automatic would be no good because of other probs,  bit of an ole wreck I am but with me trolley... hey I am good to go,  can even get it on the bus if...IF ...   another story lol.   So long as I am on my feet I am happy enough.

I have rambled....    

Thanks for the info Eileen

Warm regards

Jessie x

• Posted

Hello Denise,

you have indeed started a good thread here with the crutches,  well done.  I guess most folk will be on them for a short while so they are not given much attention,   when you are dependant on them permanent they become a real issue,   and other problems arise as arms are not built to take the full weight of the body as hips and knees and ankles... ohhh   and hands / arms certainly feel the strain.    I have a dodgy left shoulder   injured and can't be repaired a long time ago,  also have a double 'S'  spine,  all these things add up to keeping mobile a bit of challenge at times, but hey   you do what you can to avoid the wheel chair.   The FUTURO splints/supports have a metal bar in them which I thought would be a problem with the crutch and handles - I have the 'Fischer' handles on mine, shaped for your palm instead of being a round bar to grip, but unlike other supports I have tried these ones are fine to use and really do help with the pain in wrists hands and arms.

I hope your use of the crutches stays at weeks,  but having said that if you have pain in your arms and wrists you might like to think about using a support at night,  just to give them a rest,  I often wear these new ones through the night,  they are comfy enough and the pain relief is good.

I hope your ankle is mending well and will soon be back to full strength, in time for summer when you will be wanting to be out and about more. you look after it well over these winter months and I wish you all the best  with being able to discard the crutches sooner rather than later.

Warm regards

Jessie x

• Posted

Hi Jessie

You sound as if you are well sorted out LOL

Ther crutches that I sawed {or my husband sawed} were my crutches that I had bought.

Yes I noticed they sold the full crutch but I had bought mine by then so didnt pay much attention.....are they coloured? or grey like NHS ones?

The flexifoot just pulls off and you put the ordinary one back on if necessary or a new one.

I havent had new ones yet apart from the flexifoot which is completely different anyway so I dont know about new ones.

Whats the shopping trolley like...do you push or pull it? Has it a square shape top?

I dont think I could balance for very long with just one and pulling a trolly but you are doing well.....I would love to be able to have something that i could put things in.....even my  wheel walker which I used to use before it fractured what good.....small basket, put things in bags and hang them on the handles but I dont seem to be able to use it now.

I've tried but it doesnt give me enough support for the fracture {which is never going to heal}

I def. need a "big handbag"   LoL most females do I think biggrin

I can still drive so thats OK.

You havent rambled.......its very interesting

Thats my problem.....2 crutches and one back pack and it doesnt provide much space for things

Any suggestions are welcome  lol

My one good thing is I have adapted a pouch that I used to have for the gym, to carry my locker key and some money in it.

I've got a cable tie around the crutch just above the handle, and a clip that clips onto the cable tie....in that little pouch is my mobile, lipstick, small mirror, cash card, startbucks coffee car, costa card Boots card Superdrug card, sweetner for coffeeand paracetamol......thats all easy to get at especially my mobile if it rings....dont have to stop and prop the crutches up get the back pack off and search for mobile or other things.

But its not great...just the best I can do

So Like I say...all suggestions are welcomewink

Love

Eileen  UK

• Posted

Hi Denise

Is your double S spine.....scoliosis or kypho scoliosis...if so join the clubcheesygrin

That doesnt help our mobility one little bit does it?

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Hello Eileen,

I am sorted lol !    My trolley,  it's a 'SHOLLEY,  will put more details in a PM, telephone No so you can call them and they will send a catalogue, or / and you can look them up on line.  They are square,  four wheels so you push them, with the added benefit of leaning on them - will not tip...  they come in 2 or 3 different sizes,  small company that makes them and ohhh so very friendly and good to deal with,  I am on my 2nd one now, first started using one way back in my 30's,  am now in my 60's,  many people have been given the telephone No.   they are the Silver Cross ( remember the big pram )  of shopping trollies,    The Real Deal  is often a way it is described to me by people I meet around town.

I do have a Rollator Walker, with seat and basket but that left leg of mine dies on me so I can't use it - darn expensive it was, I only got a short way from home before the leg gave up,  heck was I pleased of the seat on it,  had several sits down before I got back home,  never had it out again cept for a few goes up and down the drive to no avail,  left leg always packs in on me - goes like a lump of lead and hurts so bad,  a dead leg that is paiinful !!  No problem with the trolley tho  thankfully.  Ohh yes,  the trolley has a bag on the back for bits and pieces,  good size like what us women need for our bits and bobs  and handy to reach into as it is right in front of you - under the handle.

I like the sound of your bag attached to your crutch,  good thinking that is,  and it's always there with you.   

I will have to look up the Flexyfoot again to find out about the colour, the foot itself is grey and orange in the one I saw,  I think the crutches were the same,  grey with a touch of orange on the upper arm support part.

I have tried a haversack / back pack,   not to happy with it,  bit of a struggle getting the thing on and off and it does rub a bit on the upper curve in my spine - even the cross body handbag does that mind.   I can't think of any tips for easy carrying,   just know I would be house bound without my trolley and fishermans stool lol.   It folds flat by the way,   can be put into a car,  easy manouvre wheels at the front - 4  and 2 at the back,  handle height adjustable.   One fault !  the handle fixing is not good,  I drilled a hole through and fixed it with a bolt and butterfly,  handle did once come off as I was going down some steps,  I sat down unintentionally and the trolley careered on down,  my yelps and screams brought help quite fast lol,  my dignity suffered the most damage!!    A good laugh sorted it out.

If I do get any idea's I will let you know,  this thread Denise started is the first time I have really talked any about crutches or getting about,  the trolley is something that is usually laughed at by able bodied,   you know the kind of thing,  old ladies and thier shopping trollies,    and the ohh you wouldn't catch me with one of them remarks.   Some of the 'clever' comments are beneath contempt.   Chin up and keep  walking is my mantra for them.    

More details in PM.

Warm regards

Jessie x

• Posted

Hello Eileen,

.......    errmm,  curve at the upper spine and curve at the lower spine.  Very bad spasms result from the upper,  constant pain at lower,   then there are probs with many other joints and issues resulting from surgery.  I take it you also have this problem,  do you get a lot of pain and spasms also from this condition?   Mine seems to be getting worse as I get older,  reaching up is bad,    to be expected I guess.

Warm regards

Jessie x

• Posted

Thanks for al the information Jessie

I will look it up on line....what did we ever do without the internet LOL

I have Kypho Scoliosis which is a C shaped curve on my spine and a  slight hump {thats the kypho bit apparently} at the top.

I think i collect things as I go along lol

I dont get spasms but constant pain in my lower back which is worse if I try to do too much. Reaching up is bad bending down is bad.....I think its the fracture in my hip that stops me bending down

Its hard to know when you have different things wrong with you.....what is causing what pain eek

My rollator ....it seems to be my arm that gives way because I hve to lean so heavily on one side now to support this silly leg

It was great before when it was just OA and my back.....it was a big help then

Yes I know the type of people......I remember when I first had to get a stick.....I fought against it but my husband nagged me and I got one but it had to be a folding one that I could hide LOL If only I was still at that stage!!!!

Then I was in alarge shopping centre with my daughter {and stick} and she said why dont you hire a scooter? She was mid 20's then......I said on no I'm not giving in and what did she say?  Its not giving in.....its a coping mechanism...it will let you do things you couldnt do otherwise?????? She is right.....talk about reverse roles....daughter telling mother  LOL

Then came the rollator.....I fought against everything for a while {in my own mind] but when I did get these various things I realised how much better life was with them.

You just have to make the best of things.....I bought my crutches when I found out it was going to be permanent....think I said.....pink and black, and then I bought abother pair ...purple and black....the pink ones were festooned with fairy lights twisted round them over the Christmas period  LOL If you cant be a bit daft then when can you be.

Anyway I'll go and try and find this Sholley and wait for your message

Love

Eileen   UK

• Posted

Hi Jessie

Glad I could help..:-)

I'll try to think of some other useful threads to start, maybe after my weekend away starting Friday I'll come across some problems that might be useful to throw out there......:-)

Denise

• Posted

Hello Eileen

I don't have a problem with my spine, it's my hips, but of course this is not why I am on crutches, it's just the broken ankle, which is already starting to mend.  I am even bearing some weight now, if you remember bearing weight was giving me pain at the beginning, but I am finding as each day goes by, I can bear more weight, so there may not even be a need for a wheelchair this weekend, if I can continue to put my foot down while using the crutches to support my body weight, I may be able to manage.  

I remember you saying in a previous post that you have hip problems too Eileen and I wanted to ask you if you were seeing Mr Malvyia at Wansbeck?  Just that he seems to be the main hip orthopaedic surgeon around here, everyone I know who has hip problems sees him.  He's the one who will be doing my operation if and when I decide to go ahead with it.  

It sounds like you have a few things going on Eileen, it sounds realy quite painful for you, and mobility must be very tricky.  I guess my next concern will be the bone density scan, which I will of course keep you updated about, I may need more advice from you if this turns out to be positive.  

GP has referred me for physio on my hands, fingers and wrists, since this is an ongoing problem.  I'm also waiting for physio for my hips, and hopefully will be getting physio for my broken ankle once it's stable.  We may even see each other in a physio department one day....:-)

Denise 

• Posted

Hi Jessie, 

I am so glad that you have been able to discuss it and pool your ideas together, after all, this is a support group for everyone to support each other, I'm just sorry I wasn't able to offer you any advice as I am new to crutches, and this is my very first broken bone.  So all in all, it's all new to me.  My husband said that this is a trial run for after my hip operation....LOL, this will also be non weight bearing.  TBH, I am glad of the practice run, because crutches are extremely diffiult to get the hang of don't you think?  

Denise

• Posted

Hi Denise

Thats great news that you are recovery so well and might not need the wheelchair for the weekend....but remember its there if you do....its beeter to be able to get round and use it than not use it  .

Yes I have hip problems.....had 2 THR's...the last one was last January and 4 weeks post op I fractured the greater trochanter bone....up at the top where they do the replacement

Before you worry....it wasnt anything to do with the THR they discovered afterwards that I had osteoporosis and bones were very fragile and thats why it fractured so easily

No I dont go to Wansbeck........Only been once for an MRI there

I go to Hexham General and its Mr Asaad {Asaad? or Assad??}  LOL not sure  LOL

You never know we might see each other sometime.wink

When we gto sorted we might be able to meet for coffee some time? Do you drive? I do.....just chuck the crutches in the back of the car  LOL

The crutches are a nuisance......especially if I go to the Metro, 2 crutches and a back pack isnt the easiest......I do have a 4 wheel rollator {with a seat.....if I could push that it would be better because I could put things in it. I've tried it a few times but I cant support myself properly on it now.

I'll keep trying it.....In fact I've got it out and left it in the hall....we are goining out for coffee this afternoon so thats the sort of place to try it...not walking very far so if I cant support myself Peter can take it back to the car and get the crutches out.

If I dont hear you before it enjoy your weekend

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Hello Denise,

yes,  crutches do take some getting used to !!   they are wonderful to keep us mobile,  it's the other things we have to do whilst staying upright and hanging on to them for support that are tricky.    I am lucky in that I have a walker with trays on it for in the house,  great for getting things between rooms etc   I also have a stool for doing work at the sink,   the crutches tho,   grand help .....     if temporary lol.

The 'trial run'   well  thats a good point,  shame it has to be and I wish you all the best with the hip operation,  is this a hip replacement you will be having done?    My word tis marvellous what can be done to keep us up and about these days,   do wish you well on this and hope you get on well with crutches.

Denise,  your arm problems,  do you get pain in your upper arms as well  or is  all  wrist hand fingers?    I am struggling so much with the arm pain I am having,   ok the splint is helping with the lower arm  but really  I find the whole arm thing to be the most debilitating issue I have ever had to deal with.......    can't even sit sewing,  typing is painful ....  it just pulls me way down.   Hope you get on well with the physio.

Warm regards

Jessie x

• Posted

yes Eileen, that would be good, I do drive but not able to drive at the moment because of the cast, I'm not sure when I'll get the all clear, I'm told it will take months for it to totally repair. 

I'll let you know when I'm able to drive again then we can meet up. 

Denise

• Posted

Hi Jessie,

it's not a THR although my surgeon thinks I will need one at some point due to arthritis.  This is what I've got, both cam and pincer and also laberal tear which needs fixing.  http://www.methodistorthopedics.com/femoroacetabular-impingement-fai

The pain does shoot up my arm up to the elbow.  My mum used to wear supports, she had RA and was on crutches for many years, she spent more time in her wheelchair as she grew older.  Have you seen your GP about it?  Maybe you could try physio too?  

Denise

• Posted

hi Jessie, 

I've sent you a reply but it's waiting to be approved as I posted a website, I didn't realise that would happen...:-)

• Posted

Hello Denise,

that looks painful,   pleased it can be repaired for you and normal life can be resummed,  wish you well with the op and a speedy recovery.

warm regards

Jessie x

• Posted

Hi Jessie

Not sure I properly answered  your question about wrist/arm pain, have you had a diagnosis for it?

Denise

• Posted

Hello Denise,

yes you did,  your reply was fine thankyou.   It has been mentioned to Dr in a phone call but not really discussed,  it is difficult to get to see a dr where I am,  guess I will just have to live with it.

Hope you  can get your arm pain sorted before going onto the crutches for a longer time after your hip op.   Wishing you well.

Warm regards

Jessie x

• Posted

Hello Denise,

just looking in,   hope all is going ok with you,   this weather we are having is awful,  makes getting about on the crutches even harder - and you didn't think it could get any harder  ....   like us all lol.  

Ahh,   I see you have been having a w/e away,   I hope it went well for you and you had a very enjoyable time despite the weather - and crutches.

You keep warm and take care of yourself.

Warmest regards

Jessie x

• Posted

Hi Jessie

We're still here but getting ready to to leave for home.

It wasn't too bad, pain has much improved and I am partial weight bearing now which makes it so much easier to get around. Hands and wrists are still painful and swollen but again much improved due to the fact that I am not having to put my entire weight onto them anymore.

I have a trauma clinic appointment on Wednesday, this will be 5 1/2 weeks post fracture so am hoping to have the cast taken off and given an aircast boot. Fingers crossed.

We did a museum and country house both very slowly indeed with lots of short breaks as I kept getting sick and dizzy. We were indoors most of the time so we weren't really affected by the weather.

I have a university assignment to do when we get back and I have a few appointment s to attend this week so I'm panicked somewhat.

I hope you're getting on a bit better Jessie and that the pain hasn't been too bad with all this nasty weather.

Denise

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.