Crutches part ll

Posted , 6 users are following.

Morning fellow ankle sufferers, I've just got back from my GP apt and he's given me some stronger anti-inflammatory gel to put on my wrists to ease the pain whilst using crutches.  He said it was some kind of 'itis, can't remember which.  I've asked for physio since it's an ongoing problem that has been aggrevated by use of crutches.  

I was hoping for some extra support on the wrists, I forgot to ask, not sure if I should contact the fracture clinic again.  

I hope you're all doing well on this frosty morning, not really the day to be venturing out there on crutches.  

0 likes, 56 replies

56 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hey Denise! My ankles seem to be getting stronger, I haven't had much pain lately on my hand or wrists! I'm chuffed! I've also figured out the best way for me to walk without putting weight on my foot but it touches the ground! Basically instead of hopping im walking like my bad foot goes with the crutches (support totally on crutches) bad foot goes with them then better foot follows! I feel so much more confident and well balanced! Success!!! smile I still have 4 weeks to go until my next apt. I'm hoping he says I can start putting weight! But at last weeks apt he said at least another 6 weeks NWB then walking but still with crutches! So I reckon at least another 8 weeks on my poles!!! biggrin
    • Posted

Sorry not ankles, wrists! smile
    • Posted

Hi Kate

I had my cast taken off on Wednesday and had physio straight away.  I'm still on crutches, but now doing lots of exercises and walking with partial weigh bearing which means that I don't have to put all my weight onto my wrists, which helps a lot.

I'm six weeks post fracture today.  It's still painful and swollen but the consultant said that the bone has fixed, he said this even without taking another x-ray.  I saw physio again yesterday and I'll be back again in two weeks.  

Glad we're all making progress...:-)

Denise

• Posted

That's great Denise! Yes slow but still progress! I'm so glad I found this forum!!!
  • Posted

Hi all, I'm sooo glad I found you. I had no idea how many people are so debilitated by losing their ability to walk. It's horrible.

Denise, just wanted to find out if you were TOTALLY staying off of your ankle the entire 6 weeks. I find myself cheating and trying to get out of the house at the very least every two days. And did you know at some point your ankle was finally healed up (despite being in a cast)?

I found a shower chair and got to take my first shower yesterday. Of course, water got into the trashbag/Saran Wrap jobber I did. But man, did that shower feel good. Sponge baths just don't do it for me. lol.

Hugs...Teri

• Posted

Hi Teri

You really don't appreciate how difficult it is until you have to go through it, and if you were like me, you were left to cope on your own with no advice on how to do anything.  This is embarrassing, but I even needed my husband to help me to go to the loo,  Fortuantely he was also able to  help me in and out of the bath with my leg hanging over the side.  I have no idea what I would have done if I couldn't have had my baths, and I wouldn't have been able to without his help. We bought one of those plastic cast covers which helped keep the water out, but still had to keep my leg hanging out of the bath.   

My consultant said I could do partial weight bearing after 2 weeks, but also said that if it was too painful to stop and rest for a couple of days before trying again.  It was the fourth week before I was able to put any weight on it whatsoever.  It seems that consultants vary in their advice for this.  

I had no idea the bone was healed, I was still in pain, and still am, but he say's that is stiffness due to wearing a cast, but I am guessing that there is also some soft tissue damage as there usually is with a break.  I had a weber b fracture extending to the joint, he said it's healed but never gave me an x-ray. He did say that if there were any problems I should see my GP, or ask the physio who will re-refer me back to trauma.

I am managing one crutch around the house now which means I can make a cup of coffee and carry it back into the living room to drink in comfort.  Things have improved immensely over the past couple of weeks.  

What happened to you Teri?  I just went over on my ankle, as simple as that, crazy isn't it?

Denise

• Posted

Your note is sure refreshing. I live with my 22-year daughter (who isn't here all that much) so I know what you mean about trying to do things alone. I find myself sitting here just dreading having to get up. Then when I finally do, I try to get it all done so I can hurry up and sit again. Wow, going to the bathroom is a pain. I kept tweaking it every time until I got a stool to keep in front of the toilet. I know, too much information....lol

I wrote in my new discussion what happened, but I lost my balance trying to do a nature hike on the huge rocks. I was halfway back from the 2 hour return walk when I fell. Two men that I had never met had to help me. It was so embarrassing and took us over an hour to manuever those rocks. The pain was beyond describing as I still needed to keep my balance.

But okay, I feel better now that you say that you put some weight on yours after two weeks. Because I'm alone all the time, it gets too quiet after a while. My biggest problem is that I live upstairs so it's one step at a time. Aghhhhh....Also, I ordered one those cast covers today online so I'm sure glad you said it worked for you.

Curious too, were you able to get comfortable sleeping with the cast? I've tried pillows and you name it, to no avail. I now just sleep in my recliner with my feet elevated.

And what do you mean, "you just went over on your ankle" ?? Tripped over something? Were you in heels?

Thanks again for responding. Not that I'm glad others have gone thru this, but I'm glad I'm not the only one....hugs!

Teri

• Posted

Hi Teri

I found your other message after I responded on here, it must be very difficult for you on your own.  I mentioned that my hairdresser was given a bath seat.  Have you thought about contacting your ortho?  You could speak to his secretary and let her know that you're on your own and have trouble bathing etc etc.  They may be able to provide some aids for you.  Fortunately I had my husband to help me, but bathing would have been impossible without him.  It was fortunate that it happened when it did because he was able to take some time off work then it was the Christmas break (he gets two weeks off), so I consider myself lucky in that respect.  

No, I wasn't wearing heels Teri, I was out walking like you, we were on a walking holiday in La Palma, we had done 13 miles, on our way back to the hotel when I went over on my ankle, I've done it a thousand times before, it often hurts with swelling, but this time, it broke.  This was the second day of our holiday, can you believe it?  So we spent most of the week either at the hospital or at the pharmacy, both one hour away from the hotel.  It was a bank holiday weekend so everything was closed nearby.  

I have no idea how you manage on your own Teri, I would ask to speakto your consultant about weightbearing and some aids to help you get around, it's crazy how they leave you to cope on your own without any help.  Did they even ask you if you had someone to help you?  They didn't ask me either but my husband was with me at all of our apts so I am guessing that they just assumed that he would be there for me.  

We only have one loo upstairs, so there was a lot of going up and down staris which would have been a nightmare on my own.  When he went back to work, I stayed in bed because I was afraid of hopping up and downstairs on my own..........haha

Let me know how you get on Teri, I would be interested to know what help there is out there for people living on their own.  It was a question I kept asking myself during the first two or three weeks.  

Denise

• Posted

Sorry Teri, I forgot to answer your question about sleeping, I think the secret is lots of pain meds....:-D

I find on my back is the most comfortable, but if you're like me you can't stay on your back all night. I toss and turn in bed anyway, but it does become difficult with a cast on, I would often use the cast as a rest for my other leg, which I can't do now that the cast is off because it hurts.  I'm sure that I'll find another way to get comfortable after a few nights.   

Denise

• Posted

Wow, La Palma?? I live in Cypress, right next door...how ironic.

The hospital knew I lived alone because I drove myself there - and I told them. Luckily, my brother showed up after a bit because I wasn't able to take any pain meds without a driver. My parents do stop over and brought food and then I asked my daughter to come by and empty the trash & get the mail. And then finally, to help me get in/out of the shower. I was so afraid I'd eat it again....But you're right, sometimes I just need someone to get me a something to eat or drink where it doesn't take me literally 20 minutes to do it. I did get a walker/chair delivered to me Friday, and what a difference this has made...wow. I was using a computer chair to slide over the floors and was using a barstool as a walker. But the walker is too heavy for me to carry downstairs though so I'm limited as to where I can go with it. So, the lack of having someone to help does hamper what I can do. You're very appreciative of your husband and that's nice to hear. It can't be easy to always be at anothers beck and call and it sounds like he really loves you. But to have had that happen after just two days on vacation must have sure been a disappointment. Not sure if you had flown here or live locally, but either way, not good.

So, what help is out here? Well, we're really on our own. I do have friends that come by, but they all work during the day. I did go online yesterday and ordered one of those drycast shower aids and a toy tub tray (to put my shampoos/soap into). Once I got in the shower, I forgot that I wouldn't be able to twist around to get everything I needed. It's just the little things that you don't think about until it's too late. But man, that water felt so soooooooo good...

Teri

• Posted

Denise, are you saying that after getting your cast off, your ankle STILL hurts when you try to sleep on it? I thought once the cast comes off - and after some physical therapy and all - that at least the pain would be gone.

I just sleep on my back in my recliner. It's too much work to move from this chair to the bed. Tried it the first few nights and I finally gave up...

But that concerns me when you say you still have pain. What do they attribute it to? Normal healing? Hmmm.

Teri

• Posted

Hi Teri

It was La Palma in the Canary Islands, it's just a big huge mountainous rock in the middle of the sea..LOL

Yeah, twisting around is impossible, my husband would pass things to me as I needed them, I can do it all on my own now that the cast is off, even get in and out of the bath as long as I put the good foot forward first and hold onto the sink and bath side, fortunately we have handles at the side of the bath anyway, so that was a huge plus.  

I couldn't have coped without my baths....LOL

• Posted

Yes Teri, 

I hate to have to be the one to tell you this, but you can get pain and swelling up to 12 months after the injury.  

I've only just started physio so it's early days, it's really helping thoughm, each day that I get up I can feel a difference and I can do more.  It's still quite painful in bed though, it's difficult to get comfortable, but I'm sure it's just a matter of time.  

I have read some messages on here from people have are months post fracture and are still having pain and swelling.  It's a very long slow progress I believe.

I hope you are able to get more aids around the house, you have to be able to feed yourself, bath etc etc, after all they're the basics of life.  

Keep us informed on your progress

Denise  

• Posted

Hi Denise/Teri,

I havent been on for a while.....the site has been playing up or maybe its my computer LOL I'm a bit lost with the posts. I'm still not getting any notifications but I come and search through them now.

Not sure which one was talking about the stairs?? Is this because of your ankle?

When I smashed my ankle and was in plaster they wouldnt let me out of the hospital until I could do their stairs with one UNDERARM crutch and one bannister and guess what??? Hop!!! I was due a hip replacement in a few months so not exactly easy to hop....Not safe either in my opinion

I clenched my teeth and thougbht I will do it if it kills me.....I managed them {not very safely} and they let me out......I spent the rest of the 6 weeks or so at home going up and down the stairs on my bottom  LOL  Much safer and easier.

I did hope it would help my muscles to tone....not a chanceeek  there was no difference after 6 weeks of going up and down on my bum LOL

Love

Eileen  UK

• Posted

Hi Eileen, 

I was up and down on my bum to begin with until I plucked up enough courage to go up on crutches, then I used only one whilst holding onto the rail and hubby would carry the other crutch up or down for me.  Then I learned to use both crutches, it's so much easier now that I can put my bad foot down.  It takes a great deal of skill....haha

They probably wouldn't let you out of hospital because of your other conditions Eileen, I'm sure it must have been really difficult for you, I can't even imagine, it was pretty much impossible for me....haha

I never knew that they gave out underarm crutches anymore in the UK.  Was this NT or Wansbeck?  I was at NT, it's just down the road to me.  

Denise

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.