CS symptons, pain going into head not shoulders.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi there I am a 63yr old lady who has always been fit and active up to about 6 months ago, running 3-4 times a week.

I started having stiffness and a bit of pain now and again in my neck about a year ago and have recently been diagnosed with cervical sponylosis in c5-c6.. I havent had an x-ray or scan but am having physio at the moment and relentlessly doing my stretching exercises and some resistance exercises to try to build up the muscle supporting the neck. I don't have pain in shoulder or back, mine goes from neck up the back of my head up to the top of the head. The pain in the neck feels like someone is nipping or pinching me very hard on both sides of neck. The nights are the worst when lying down. I read everything I can about  this condition, however there isn't a lot written about the symptons I am experiencing.  Is there anyone who has similar symptons to mine on here? I would be really interested to hear about your experiences.

Jen

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I have had very similar experiences to what you describe, Kats56.  I felt a pressure in the back left quadrant in my head that was driving me wild in February / March of this year.  Tired many things to address it but it was finally physiotherapy that did the trick.  It has still not entirely gone away but at least I know (i) what it is and (ii) how to attempt to address the condition when it flares up.  Agree that not a lot has been written about this situation which can make it especially worrying.  I - akin to your situation - know that I have severe foraminal stenosis at C5-C6.  Have you had an MRI to specifically clearify the area of your concern?  (My GP surgery originally told me it was not possible to have head pressure with my condition - and I have had TWO MRIs - one on the NHS and one private.  It was a doctor at King's College Hospital who told me otherwise, e.g., corrected him.)  I find that if you lower your chin - as if you were making a double one - chin that is - and deeply rub the relevant muscle on the relevant side that you feel the disturbance it will often help to relieve the muscular stress that is surrounding your area of ultimate complaint.  It will of course not take the root cause away as in reality - without surgery and not even then in most cases - be cured.  Still it does help I find to relieve the situation (e.g., make it 'liveable').  When I had my first session of physiotherapy I was 'dry needled' and I found that too helped significantly in gaining relief.  Posture is, of course, (i.e., important not to place additional stresses but then I'm sure you know that).  All best wishes in overcoming this.  You will I'm sure live to run another day smile 
    • Posted

Hi and thanks for your reply, I find it so frustrating that not enough information available on our symptoms. There is loads on pain radiating down into shoulder and arm but I have never had that, I don't know if you have? I am trying out the massage you suggest as (you will know this) I think we all try anything to relieve the pain.

I am having physio on the NHS at the moment, however the appts which last about 20-30 mins are not frequent enough (usually about every 3-4 weeks) to make a huge diference. I have had dry needling but found that didn't do anything for me. In the meantime I am going back to drs (who don't seem to bother much) to ask for x-ray so that I know what I am dealing with and will continue to search for information on this subject. I know there is no cure but we need to have some relief.

Hope your condition is not too bad at the moment, I will keep posting on here anything I can find out about it.

Jensmile

• Posted

Thanks Jen.  My condition vis a vis the neck/head, etc. is happiy largely containable at the moment.  Fundamentally I don't worry about it as much as I did initially - as I know where it springs from.  I have had an attack with the arm but I don't now so much.  I would recommend that you pump your GP for an MRI as that's the only way to really examine the injury to your cervical spine.  A garden variety x-ray sadly won't show sufficient detail.  All best wishes.  I'm sure things will get better for you.  
    • Posted

Hi to  meunière & kats,

i have got the same chronic condition ,don't know what to do been to GP sent for physio told nothing he can do sent to pain clinic gave me a tens machine does not help .I am so lethargic with it stops me doing so much,I have had Botox injections for years every 2 months but have gone 5 months this time he would not give me them as I was suffering anxiety so I am back there Tuesday we will see what happens,I think they do help I am having so many headaches now.

So just letting you know we areall here to help if possible just by chatting wish I could do more for us all.

• Posted

Kats,

I am also a sufferer as you and had phisio,which I had to call a halt to as it caused so much pain and at the end of seven sessions I felt no better.I came straight to the point and asked my doctor to be sent for an xray which confirmed I had CS.I was not given details of which joints in the neck.After going from the lowest dose of co-codimal I am now on the highest 30/500 which helps but not completely pain free.

I looked on utube at an operation for it and my conclusion was a definate "it's not for me",what I do find though,if I get busy doing something and concentrate fully on what I am doing,the pain is not noticable.

In saying that I wonder if hypnotism would be the answer.

I hope it is some comfort,believe me you are not on your own with CS.

• Posted

Hi Benggo Its an awful condition and it has so many different symptons in different people. Doctors I have found do not do anything to help you.....send you for physio which in my case has done nothing, especially as my sessions which last about 20-30 mins are only once every 3-4 weeks. Or hand out pain killers. I am going to try and get an MRI scan however I know it might be a pipe dream with nhs cuts! I have had a bit of a flare up the last 2 days and have been doing my stretching exercises relentlessly ( i always do anyway) I hadn't had any pain killers for 4 days and felt so much better for not taking so many but I had to take a Naproxen yesterday and I must admit it did take the edge off the pain, I did get some sleep last night even if it was after 3 am! How do you cope at night? I find it much worse lying down and have tried numerous pillows but am still searching for that perfect one! I'm sure there is one out there and I'm going to find it Lol

Well thats me and my moaning but its good to know that there are a number of us on here that can talk, moan and rant to each other if we feel like it. More importantly we can pass on any info or things that help us to each other.

Look forward to hearing from you again and take care

Jen x

• Posted

Hello Jen,

I see you are trying to get an MRI scan,best of luck with that,I had to practically beg my doctor for a simple xray;as for coping,some days are better than others,waking up in a morning is uaually painful and I try to take as little co-codimol as I can.

I think I have said before,if I am busy It tends to take my mind off the pain.The thing that really makes me angry,is that the NHS will spend money on people's vanity,the case of the young woman who had breast inplants and then decided that she didn't like them and the NHS then took them out again,and now I read that she has a card to pay for taxi's,again paid by the NHS,because people verbaly abuse her on public transport.

I see farther down the page that Jeanette speaks of the pain clinic,again my doctor never mentioned anything about a pain clinic,when I eventually get through on the phone to my surgery in the morning,the first question I am asked,by the woman who books the appointments is "what's wrong with me?",one of these day's I will give them an answer they don't like.It is impossible to see the doctor of my choice,and that was the "selling point"of the appointments system,"see a doctor of your choice at the time you need to"

Just one more moan,I put my name down at Boots for my prescription to be sent via email type of thing from the doctors to Boots,this worked fine for my grandson and my daughter,but oh no,I went two weeks ago and mine hadn't been sent,back to the doctors,it seems that locums,and some of the permanent staff at the surgery don't have the electronic "key" to send it.

To me who-ever devised the system should have made sure it was fool proof and everyone had the "key"to send it.

That's my ranting done for today.

Take care,

George.

• Posted

Hi

Your GP's surgery sounds exactly like mine! I don't think I've seen the same doctor twice all the time I've been with them. My last visit I was asked what I thought was wrong with me! I really thought that was what they were paid mega bucks for.

It is so annoying, I seen the practice nurse the last time I went as there were no drs appts. available and she was brilliant, ordered an x-Ray for my hip straight away.

When the results came back non satisfactory my dr didn't even examine me or ask any questions she just referred me to Physio. How can I get Physio for something undisguised?

That's my rant over, I hope your pain is stable at the moment. I'm having a flare up in my hips and had to take a couple of days off work (it's the job that's causing the pain) don't normally take extra strong meds but I have to say Tramadol has been my friend this last couple of days.

Take care 

Jen

• Posted

Hi Kats56, I really wouldn't wait for the NHS in your case for that NHS.  You may find yourself waiting forever.  You can arrange to have an MRI yourself (you will need a referral but surely your GP would do that much) and have it done in London for about £250 with the right date.  I won't give the name - as it will probably be extracted as advertising - but if you look for a company doing MRIs in Waterloo I'm sure you will find it.  They run them seven days a week so you will have a lot of choice of dates/times.  It will be worth it in the end.  You only have to wait a few days for the radiologist's report to be sent to your GP and you yourself can have it regardless on the fifth day.  If you are anything like me you will feel a good deal better than you went to this effort for your own body.  All best wishes.
  • Posted

Hi Kats56, I really wouldn't wait for the NHS in your case for that MRI.  You may find yourself waiting forever.  You can arrange to have an MRI yourself.  (You will need a referral but surely your GP would do THAT much for you - if not - find another GP).  You can have it done in London for about £250 with the right date.  I won't give the name - as it will probably be extracted as advertising - but if you look for a company doing MRIs in Waterloo I'm sure you will find it.  They run them seven days a week so you will have a lot of choice of dates/times - especially convenient if you ar travelling in as it is right across from a popular London train station as it happens.  It will be worth it in the end believe you me.  You will only have to wait a few days for the radiologist's report to be sent to your GP and you yourself can have the report regardless (e.g., even if the GP hasn't got back to your or the Surgery returned your call) on the fifth day.  If you are anything like me you will feel a good deal better than you went to this effort for your own body.  All best wishes.
  • Posted

Hi kats56

Hi jen just a quick post to see how you are doing and i hope you had a good and relaxing break at the caravan? Well how did you come on at work? I hope you could be moved out of the cafe so it woldnot be to heavy for you.  How are you coping with work and everything did you getsorted with your x-rays. I have been done a bit lately more to do with the pain than anything but i am going away on saturday for a week so i will do very little and i will do very little cooking to going in a caravan  so no cleaning (just me and hubby) so no need for cleaning!!!! been to see friends that i met at pain clinic we go to lunch once a month about 7 of us and it is a good excuse to moan i think it good if you have some one to talk to and we are always there for each other. If one is down we just   phone and have a chat. Well thats me finished rambling on.

so take care and hope to hear from you soon jeanette xxsmile

• Posted

Hi Jeanette holidays were great, really relaxing and the pain in my hips really subsided which tells me it's definitely the cafe that's the cause. Came back last Wednesday went back to work Friday and by Saturday night I couldn't walk with the pain, was in tears it was so bad. Had to take Tramadol which helped enormously and stayed in bed late on Sunday. Been back to work Minday and Wednesday this week and have had to stay off sick today and probably tomorrow. It's so annoying that my manager isn't doing anything. I am supposed to be having a meeting with her about it but when that iz going to happen is nobody's business!

That's my rant over...phew! Lol

So sorry your having a bad time with your pain, I hope your holiday does you some good. At least as you say it will be relaxing for you. I love caravans....so easy to keep clean! Lol 

Enjoy your hols hun and take care xxxxx

• Posted

Hi kats56

my sentements exactly lol have you ever aked your GPabout injections for your hips? A friend of mine has had them and she said they done her the world of good! She said she walked up the stairs normally the first time for ages she said instead of going one step at a time she walked up!!! she is going to see if she can have another lot.You could maybe enquire about them from your GP? no harm in asking is there? the injections are called facet joint. I would keep on at her or just stay on the sick as you said it just shows it is the work that is making you ill? Can you not go and see some one else at work because it would be better for them to have you at work and not off sick hubby been having a bad time of it as well he has just found out he has servere arthritis in both arms had bother for ages but now getting worse!! The curse of getting older eh!!! lol  booked holiday for next year for sons wedding got a huge shock with the price of insurance with all the medication truth be told i think they took our eyes out!!!  You have my sympathy with the pain in your hips sad  keep on at your manager  she will get the message sooner rather than later!!! well thats my ramble (again)!!!

So take care and remember it is not worth been poorly for your health comes first!!! take your pain killers before you start work try that and see how you get on ok  let me know how you doing

jeanette xxxxxxrolleyes

• Posted

Hi Jeanette sorry I haven't replied before but lots been going on at home.

I hope you are ok at the moment and that your hubby is ok. Your right when you say getting older is a curse! lol My hubby is having tests to see if he has angina as he has been a bit breathless lately and had a couple of episodes of palpitations. We both are hoping its not that as he can't work as a taxi driver if it is. No good worrying yet though, we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

I've got no further at work so far, they are trying everything to get out of moving me to another department.

I am going to ring my union tomorow for some advice, although they can't actually do anything for me as our store doesn't recognise a union. However I'll be able to get advice on the employment law and the disability discrimination act.

Going to head off to bed now, its been a long day....9 hour shift in the cafe!

Speak soon hun and take care.

• Posted

Hi jen

good to hear from you again sorry to hear you are no further forward with work,hope your hubby is oksmile thats what mine has and to boot he has emphysema!! Old age eh!! lol well he had a good time at morecamb and we had brilliant weather.we were there for 9 days wanted to go away for hubbys 65th (in caravan) but its 6wks holiday and they dont no what to charge same for cottages   they think of a number and double it in some cases treble it lol. you might get somewhere if you go to the union for advice they might be able to tell you where or who to see? are you going away again in your caravan it would do you good. how did you come on with xrays and did you see about an MRI scan? just a shame you could not go on the sick or retire? you would think they would do something for you instead of mucking you about. Good luck to your hubby with his tests.Have not been to clever myself lately with hips but getting there! has your GP not refered you to pain clinic? Well thats my ramble AGAIN lol.

well take care and hope to speak soon hun xxrolleyes   

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.