Cure to insomnia

Posted , 53 users are following.

I would really wish from you guys to share your stories of how you manage your insomnia or how you got over it thank you.

8 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Next
  • Edited

Hi Any.

I can't answer your questions because i have suffered from insomnia for as long as i can remember.

I go without sleep for weeks and then doze for 30 mins here or there, but that's about it.

My son always says he doesn't know how i do it, but i do. I just do.

I also have bipolar which causes episodes that won't allow me to sleep, but every few months my mind winds down enough and eventually wears itself out which allows me an hour or two before it's off again.

I've tried sleeping meds but they do very little until i take a lot higher than the doseage prescribed. Even then tripling the amount only gives me a twenty minute nap.

Have you told your doctor?

How long have you had insomnia?

Sometimes meditation helps people.

Everyone is different so different things work for different people, and sometimes nothing works, as in my case.

I'm sorry i couldn't help, but my answer may spark some others to respond with information that may.

• Posted

well the insomnia is all duo to anxiety i believe cos my mind feels numb and it just doesnt switch off , also i used to take escitalopram but always stopped the medication whenever i felt infelt better , im trying to sleep since 10 pm but i guess im not tonight and i dont want to take sleeping pills after all nobody gets a permanent relief from them and i want to fight it.
    • Posted

I have mild anxiety and depression which triggered insomnia but medication worked for me. But I did not rely on medication bcos they are supposed to use short term basic only about max 6 weeks like that. Slipping pill has severe side effects too and I did not want a victim of these. I observed that if you make yourself tired I daytime and taken vitamin supplement, you can sleep naturally well like I slept last night 7hr without pill and felt completely fresh in the morning. Before you sleep, we do not think a lot so that ur brain can go off to get rested fully. I also not sure whether the next days would be ok for such 7hr sleep. However, I personally feel that I am recovering and gett back to my oldself again soon.
    • Posted

Sam, you're lucky!

I have anxiety and depression and have been in bed -WITHOUT SLEEP - all night.

You say that before sleep our brains do not think a lot so they can go off and get rested fully, but that is not always the case.

Some brains do not fully switch off, some don't go close to switching off.

Mine has been racing for weeks now and in that time i've clocked up maybe two or three hours sleep...if i'm lucky.

It doesn't stop or slow down because darkness falls.

All people are different.

• Posted

Buddy Aalone, I m sorry to hear this from you. I hope you will improve very soon. Please try to set your bed room temp which suits you, mine around 22C. Most anti depressants made sleeplessness too. Pls try to stop unnecessary meds and get back to normal life again. Then, your sound sleep will follow you rather than you chase them to achieve. I m also way to recovery and not stable yet so far. Nonetheless, we all have spirit to support each other and remember you aren't alone. We all need you to have connected and share as much as we can,

• Edited

Sam.

My room is dark and set for sleep.

I take NO meds, especially not anti-depressants!

This IS "normal" life for me and has been for as long as i can remember.

As things have become worse through the years and are still worsening, i doubt things will improve soon.

Thank you, though, for your posts and hope in what seems quite a bleak sleep.

• Posted

So happy to hear that your sleep is improving , mine was better while using the medication but the withdrawal effects arent gone yet, just curious if you dont mind sharing what kind of medication did you use a sleeping pill or a antidepressant.?
    • Posted

I took ambien for sleep. Taken Zoloft, actitaloprem, trazidone but sadly these antidepressants helped nothing rather I couldn't stand their side effects so I decided not to take. Now, no meds on and gradually getting better sleep, but sometimes with dreams that made me feeling unfresh. I hope you will get better soon. I m still feeling sad about my job loss which triggered anxiety. I was so healthy man until Dec 2016. Now, I m fighting back too have my old self again. These brain medications are not working for me, crap side effects only, may b good for others.

• Edited

I am suffering from insomnia from last 40 days .actually i am missing someone too much and love here and whole day and even night i am thinking about here .and gradually i facing this problem from last more than one months .

please help me to get rid this problem please anyone ,i do not know how to overcome this problem . i sleep on bed at 10:30 pm and after taking 20 to 30 minutes sleep i wake up and whole night i am fighting to get sleep.

Please help me i will be highly obliged all of you .please please

• Posted

I've had insomnia since 2012 when I had Fluoroquinolone intravenously before having my aortic valve replaced as I had told them I had a prostate infection. That drug can mess up ones whole system forever, Recently my insomnia has got much worse and I struggle to sleep. When I get off I tend to waken after less than an hour and feel wide awake, Strange as I have been tired all day. Not getting back to sleep I get up and and read the paper or do the crossword. I go back to bed several tines without sleeping . Soon after those failed attempts its 5 am but it takes until six to get to sleep. Whatever time I next wake I just get up for the day

I;ve tried all the sleeping tablets without much luck and the frighten me as getting up drowsy I often fall over. At the moment I an=m taking melatonin without any help from it. I've also tried various CBD products which have been a waste of money.

I'm 87 so perhaps insomnia is age related

• Edited

I used to have horrible insomnia, only 2 hours of sleep per night without pills while I need 8. I tried all possible pills, relaxation techniques, hypnosis, everything, none worked properly in the long term.

The fact of the matter is that medical science dies not yet provide pills for brains. The ones which exist are worthless if you ask me.

I'm OK now, my insomnia is really cured. My sleep is not perfect every single night, but nobody's is.

The moment I stopped struggling against insomnia it simply started going away, though not suddenly. It took quite a while. But the improvement was real from the start. Insomnia is not a thing in itself. The ability to sleep is so strong among us, humans or animals in general, that it is almost impossible to seriously alter it. Insomnia in us humans appears when we TRY (and therefore struggle) to sleep. You just need to stop doing all the things you are doing FOR sleeping and let your body and mind do whatever they want - if you sleep it's OK but if you don't, that's OK too (everybody has bad sleep for all kinds of reasons once in a while). When sleep time comes just go to bed, close your eyes, and rest. Don't TRY to sleep, as you are used to do. Just rest! If sleep comes that's OK, if it doesn't that's OK too, you haven't been very successful in getting the amount and quality of sleep you have desired anyway - that's why you call yourself an insomniac. So why keep on trying/desiring? Just let it go. Accept your reality and move on to the things in life you can control over. Sleep is not something we can control. You just need to trust your body and mind for it and stop trying to do anything whatsoever for it. Good luck!

• Posted

Hi bemmeh, people get anxious once they cant sleep a night, then such worries make them more anxious and could not sleep in the end. That's why, we need to calm down but it's an easier said than done. Your advice is valuable but it's hard to practice for many people, including me. Anyway, we shall be optimistic about natural mind and soul and its function as well. However, a few of us may be in trouble for insomnia which trying to control our daily life and wellbeing. Because I was there and scary about evening time whether I could make it tonight or not like that I m sharing first hand experience.

• Edited

Hi Sam84095, I know exactly what you mean. I've been there. The cycle needs to stop at one point. The wasteful and dreadful struggle needs to end at some point. Why keep on forcing something which is not meant to be forced? Sleep is not meant to be voluntary. It is involuntary. It's not something that can be ordered, forced, begged, controlled etc. Insomniacs don't have any issue with sleeping. They have an obsession about sleeping and this obsession is keeping them awake. The day an insomniac starts to let go of the struggle and go to bed without the never-ending ATTEMPT to sleep, the healing process starts. But it can take quite a long time. The solution is this: don't do ANYTHING, ANYTHING at all, either for sleeping or because you don't sleep well. Live your life to the fullest though it may not be very easy. This is part of the healing process. And go to bed like normal people, or like the time you used to, before becoming an insomniac. Stay in bed until the morning WITHOUT the intention to sleep but rather with the intention to rest. Over time things will improve but perseverance, commitment, is needed. I did it and everybody else can do it. There are real issues in life and it's not worth wasting precious time and energy with a stupid and senseless obsession.

• Posted

I do not obsess about sleeping.

I have no struggle to let go of that will allow me to sleep.

I go to bed like you "NORMAL" people (what a lovely thing to say!!..!!) and stay there WITHOUT the intention to sleep, only to rest.

I can't sleep for reasons that you seem to fail to possibly even think exist outside of your insomniac scope.

I do not attempt to sleep, as you put it, i attempt to rest with the hope of sleep.

I can't believe you called insomniacs abnormal...!

If you were as "NORMAL" as you present to be, you wouldn't even be on the forum!, or did you just stop to look what we talk about and ask opinions etc for out of curiosity??

• Edited

My intention from writing here is to let others know the way I cured my own insomnia, so that maybe I can help. I know how bad my own insomnia was.

Why do you think you can't sleep well? There are people who are in pain, or have some kind of serious illness, and that's why they can't sleep well. But that's not insomnia. They know exactly why they can't sleep well and the reason is not insomnia.

Insomniacs are people who are bothered by their failure to sleep well and they are constantly in search of a solution for their insomnia, not other clear underlying health problem.

For these people the only solution is to stop their struggle, accept their current situation, and move on with their lives. Over time sleep also catches up. Some people (I have a friend) who sleep only 4 hours per night and they are perfectly happy. They don't call themselves insomniacs, and they're not. Because they're not in search of a solution to a 'problem'. Insomniacs are not people who have any impairment (not regarding sleep anyway) but people who impair their natural ability to sleep by constantly struggling to get some sleep. For example, if you think you won't sleep tonight, why not instead of being bothered by it and struggling against this belief/thought, just accept it, lie in bed to rest, and forget about sleep altogether? Tell yourself 'I won't sleep tonight, but that's OK, I will just rest'. In case you accidentally dose off and wake up in the morning, that's great, but if not, that's OK too, because just think about it, has all the struggle in the past brought anything good other than frustration and anger? Beside the usual tiredness, why also have frustration and anger?

• Posted

Dear , i wish we could help you somehow, but as you mentioned in your previous post you have bipolar d which i believe is the manic episodes that keep you awake if not then have you ever had a sleep study or tried other remedies, depends also where you from , because unfortunately where i come from its a poor country offering nothing ☹ and also the medicine field is just so undeveloped
    • Posted

What you are saying is making sense a lot , the moment we stopped obssesing about sleep is the moment we will actually sleep cos as you may all know ocd is an anxiety disorder but it depends it may be different for some people because we all do not have the same symptoms and insomnia is a symptom even the science says it its not a disease .
    • Posted

I understand your points, but just resting every night (believe me, i lay in bed for 14+hours) and not sleeping won't let you function properly during the day. I hardly able to go to work (got to the point so bad that i need take leave of absents), my heart ach, my muscle all tenst up, my speech is bad (sometime having difficulty finding the right words or the right term etc), my memory and concentration is out of wack, my eye twitches, i can't run or walk fast because it cause me to vomit or gag, I can't smoke because it cause me to gag/vomit (which is the only good thing for me to quit smoking), my back bone spinal pain when standing for long period because of lack of sleep. ALL THESE symptom disappear when i have 4-5hours sleep. Also before insomnia, i was able to read teh news paper every morning, now i can't even read pass the first page. It take me multi time reading the same paragraph just to get it sink in. Right now i'm still looking for a solution.. So resting alone don't really help as much as you described. but i do appreciate the help.

• Posted

I am suffering from insomnia from last 40 days .actually i am missing someone too much and love here and whole day and even night i am thinking about here .and gradually i facing this problem from last more than one months .

please help me to get rid this problem please anyone ,i do not know how to overcome this problem . i sleep on bed at 10:30 pm and after taking 20 to 30 minutes sleep i wake up and whole night i am fighting to get sleep.

Please help me i will be highly obliged all of you .please please

• Posted

How long did it take for you to get over your insomnia?
    • Edited

bemmeh is right in everything he says.

One thing I'd add is to also apply a technique called 'sleep restriction' where you have a fixed sleep window and you must not be in bed outside this window. The window should be shorter than your ideal sleep duration so as to increase your 'sleep drive'. For example maybe 6 hours, 12midnight to 6am. Theres a brilliant man on youtube who explains this, look up 'Insomnia Coach' on youtube.

• Posted

Edward123123 Great link, thank you. I've been experiencing 'insomnia' for a few months now. I use the 54321 Recovery method to help stop myself looking back into the past (my son died 5 years ago, the grief never leaves me), & forwards into the future (so changed & bleak without him). It focuses on the NOW, no back, no forwards.

Some good techniques for helping my thoughts from racing all over the place, calms my anxiety. This helped a lot daytime, helps at night, but doesn't help me sleep!

I'll watch more of this guys video's & learn more sleep techniques.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.