Cured Pityriasis Rosea in 1 week!

Posted , 40 users are following.

For all the impatient people who hate long posts, here's the summary of what I did:

- washed body with head & shoulders twice a day (recommend using clinical strength if your case is severe)

- sun bathed entire naked body for about 40 minutes. Let the sun hit ALL the areas where the rash is, especially in the hard to reach areas (I am female and I had this rash all over/under my breasts as well)

- Drank orange juice every day

- Optional: put prescribed steroid cream on rash for itching

Hey guys, I never post in forums at all but I remember being desperate for online help as I was going through this, so I thought posting my experience would help others as well. Just for some background, I am female and of medium to dark-tan indian skin tone, and 23 years of age. I wrote it like a story to lighten the mood LOL. Enjoy!

THE BEGINNING:

I first noticed a harmless little rash on my chest. I ignored it for like 2 weeks until I realized it had gotten bigger. Showed my mom who said it looked like a fungal infection. It looked exactly like ringworm (scaly with raised edges, semi-itchy). So for a week, I put lotrimin on it without any improvement. Then at the end of that week, I woke up with a TON of tiny blotchy raised bumps all over my chest, back, stomach, below stomach, and a little on my legs and arms. None on my face. I started freaking out. But for the next 2-3 days, I kept up with the lotrimin treatment to see if it would go away with time. It got even worse. I freaked out even more. so I researched online about what it could possibly be.

THE DIAGNOSIS:

I soon realized I had all the symptoms of Pityriasis Rosea, and that my initial ringworm-looking rash was actually the herald patch. I showed my mom how exponentially worse it got and she booked an appointment with a dermatologist right away. Since the appointment was still about 3 days away, and scared that it would get even more worse just in those 3 days, I wanted to waste no time and start doing everything I could to help cure this as soon as possible. I think this was KEY to clearing it up as fast is I did as I recognized it as PR only 2-3 days after my crazy rash even showed up.

THE TREATMENT:

After reading a bunch of posts that said to try head & shoulders, I thought it wouldn't hurt to try. I stopped with the lotrimin (it's an anti-fungal, it wont help with PR), and washed my entire body with head & shoulders shampoo twice that day. It made them so itchy and dry afterwards, but i just dealt with it. I did that for the next few days, they kept getting dryer and miraculously, no new bumps showed up. When I went to my dermatologist, it took him literally 3 minutes to diagnose it as PR haha. He prescribed me a steroid cream to help with the itching. That day, having learned more about PR from the doctor, I opened my window in my room and let the sunshine in. UV rays help to clear up the rash apparently. I took off all my clothes and just layed in the sun for about 40 minutes in my room (make sure the window is opened, otherwise I don't think the UV rays will be able to penetrate through the window). I made sure every single bump on my body got a good amount of sun exposure (just a WARNING: I am of darker skin tone, and I have read that too much exposure to the sun may leave PERMANENT dark marks even after the PR goes away. I would be cautious, maybe limit it to 10 - 15 minutes, twice a week if you're apprehensive). The sun seemed to irritate the rash and make them more itchy afterwards, but the next day, I was astonished to see that the rash calmed down significantly. Thrilled with the results, I decided to do another 10 minute sun bathing session the next day.

THE END:

From that day onward, for about a week, I kept up with the head and shoulders routine except toned it down to just once a day as it made my skin super dry. I also drank orange juice every day to help boost my immune system. I only used the prescribed steroid cream about 3 times to help with itching, but even the itching disappeared after a week. The spots seemed calm down so rapidly after that first 40 min session of sun bathing, I think that's what did it. After that day, I had absolutely no new spots. The healing began, the spots became so dry and started peeling, and were no longer raised. I didn't want to put any more creams or oils on top because it felt like the dryness was helping it disappear faster. After a week I was basically completely cured, no new spots, no raised edges, no redness or irritation, and no itching. I was only left with dark marks where the rash had been (post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation; this is arguably worse than the actual PR for me and probably caused me more distress lol). 

FINAL THOUGHTS: Thankfully, the spots have begun to fade even within just a few weeks. I am still trying out different treatments for it (Bio Oil, lemon juice, coconut oil, cocoa butter, exfoliation, fade cream). This part takes some time unfortunately, but feel free to message me if you'd like to hear about my progress with that. 

PR blows; I know I was probably one of the lucky ones to have a pretty mild case of it. But please keep a positive attitude and keep up with the treatments and it'll be gone in no time! cheesygrin

2 likes, 71 replies

71 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hey I've tried all your tips, seems to have helped but yeah you are right it does leave marks all over your skin from the rash I only went to Sunbeds twice for a 6 minute bed each time as I live in Scotland and it's always so cold so no chance sun bathing here, anyways I've started using coconut oil on the marks where rash was just wondering if you've tried anything new that's helping them to fade? 

• Posted

I was just diagnosed 5 days ago by a dermatalogist  i was prescribed 25mg of hyroxyine pills but  the itch is unbearable i cant even sleep. I was also given a anti viral pill called acyclovir  since i was diagnosed very early apparently it has a 75% success rate of stopping the virus from speading??? Has anyone else taken this ?  Im so grafeful for your messages because PR is  horrible and is causing me lots of anxiety
    • Posted

I am interested to see if the acyclovir helped. There have been good reviews by many people, and then studies that say it doesn't help any more than taking a sugar o\pill.

• Posted

Its been 14 days since i was diagnosed and im happy  to say my PR is 90% cleared .  I don't know entirely what  cleared it .  But I do believe the anti-viral drug acyclovir I took when I was first diagnosed really helped me . I went tanning for five minutes every other day for one consecutive week .  And i applied zinc oxide on the rash at bedtime and used head and shoulders  as body wash .I also  took L-Lysine  2 times a day and oil of oregeno. I ordered the Prrezze but i  has  not  arrived yet.  Perhaps i wont even need it now?  I honestly believe i cured this nasty PR from the inside out . I work in the emergency department my immune  system is jeopardised all the time and I believe my immune system was weak. .  I know it sounds like overkill but I was desperate  to get rid of it asap.  

• Posted

Hey! Where can I get this acyclovir? I've now had PR 9 weeks spent so much money i feel like I've tried everything so I'm willing to give this a try? 

• Posted

Hello Jac i was presctibed this medication by my dermatologist. The doctor told me that it works on 75% of patients but only if its taken in the 1st week of getting PR. But ive also seen some youtube titorials on PR and many patients said that Traditional chinese medicine cured them. The chinese herb "VS-C by natures sunshine "is known to have the same effects acyclovir . The PR heals from the inside out. I live in canada so health care is free . Not sure where you live but may be more affordable to get the VS-C on amazon. Its not expensive.  Good luck to you i hope you find some relief soon 

• Posted

I still follow this forum even though my son had this almost 4 years ago. It was one of the scariest things I've experienced as a parent. My son was so distraught and watched a bunch of YouTube videos people made about their experience which made it worse. Bottom line, anyone reading this should do one thing...use the Head and Shoulders. It was a miracle and cleared it within a week. Used acyclovir first with absolutely no results. Acyclovir is a drug used to treat herpes. I had done some research before this forum and there was thought to be a connection so my Dr willingly prescribed. Don't question anyone's posts. The head and shoulders works like charm. It also seems like people have had success with PRreeze. Try that too. But bottom line, trust this forum. The Dr. is only good for a diagnosis, that's it.

• Posted

Hello .....

I was diagnosed with PR I must say this sucks and the doctor hasn't been any help..... like really she told me to just put on lotion like really atleast act like you care damn.... well anyways I had to experiment around yup I sure did ran across some cream called betamethasone dipropionate wow this stuff really works, taking its time but it really works , so now I have to get my doctor to write me a prescription for this yes, I had to tell the doctor what to do....... like really help me here.... anymore suggestions to get rid of PR????

• Posted

Its been 14 days since i was diagnosed and im happy  to say my PR is 90% cleared .  I don't know entirely what method  cleared it .  But I do believe the anti-viral drug acyclovir I took when I was first diagnosed really helped me . I went tanning for five minutes every other day for one consecutive week .  And i applied zinc oxide on the rash at bedtime and used head and shoulders  as body wash .I also  took L-Lysine  2 times a day and oil of oregeno. I ordered the Prrezze but i  has  not  arrived yet.  Perhaps i wont even need it now?  I honestly believe i cured this nasty PR from the inside out . I work in the emergency department my immune  system is jeopardised all the time and I believe my immune system was weak. .  I know it sounds like overkill but I was desperate  to get rid of it asap.  My PR  was very aggressive and spread very quickly .  It started as one herald patch on my back and within three days my entire back ,chest , stomach , arms ,  and thighs were covered.  I followed many of the tips I read on this forum .  It took the advice from my natural pathic doctor .  Good luck to you I hope you have a quick recovery

• Posted

I was diagnosis with PR by my dermatologist 11 weeks ago, initially I tot I was ringworm so I was using antibiotics n antibacterial drugs without no improvement. My Doc prescribed Benovate cream n some pill for me still no improvement old patches will be going new once will be coming. I was covered with this nasty rashes on my entire body. I did bed tanning applying olive oil talking in some drugs but hmmmm. I suffered for 10 weeks. But am happy to say my PR is 95% cleared n am having a smooth skin. What I did to clear up my PR within 5 days. I went to different dermatologist n he gave me Enoral ( ketoconazole tablet 200mg to be taking 1× 2 for 7 days), amoxycillin capsules 250mg ( 2×3 for 7days) , CPM 4mg ( letap 1 × 2) , injection kenelog 40mg and 2B Benzyl benzoate lotion to apply day n night after shower. My PR was cleared within 5days after this medication. But along side I was taken vitamin C , detox drink, drinking more water , eaten fruit n vegetables in order to boost my immune system.

• Posted

Sorry, I replied to wrong person. I am pretty sure, Constance, that after 11 weeks it was probably going away by itself
    • Posted

Which is a topical steroid cream used to suppress inflammation. Glad it is helping
  • Posted

I am pretty sure that after 11 weeks, it was going away by itself...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.