Curious about IBS symptoms, right side abd pain

Posted , 11 users are following.

I'm a 29 year old male in decent shape. I've been having right side abdominal pain that started out as just pressure roughly 6-7 months ago. Now it's a constant pressure/pain that seems to get worse if I'm sitting/lying down and it has spread to my right side back a bit. Pain ranges from an inch below belly button to 2-3 inches above, an inch to the right. Standing offers some relief. Occasionally the pain is very sharp, but it usually just a constant mild pain. I get pretty bloated after eating now.

I have had some changes in bowel habits. Sort of alternating C/D when before I was constipated for years. 

I had an unremarkable ultrasound 4 months ago and an unremarkable abdominal CT scan 2 months ago. My gastro has said he doesn't want to go further with testing and has diagnosed me with IBS.  I've had an unremarkable colonscopy 4 years ago due to rectal bleeding/piles.

I'm curious if this sounds like IBS? Appreciate any responses. Just trying to figure this out.

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Next
  • Posted

If you have had all the tests and they are normal. Then yes it does sound like IBS

• Posted

Logically I agree. The constant pain for months has made me pretty anxious over it and in the back of my mind I wonder if it is something wrong with my pancreas, etc since CT/abd US can miss that. 
    • Posted

You said it it...anxiety and stress can make matters worse .... are you constantly nauseous? ?
  • Posted

Has anyone considered your appendix could be giving you periodic flares?
    • Posted

I think thats why they did the ultrasound/CT scan to make sure nothing was going on with my appendix, but I dont know. 
  • Posted

Your symptoms do sound like IBS.  Does your pain move about your stomach?  I also had an unremarkable ultrasound and was diagnosed with IBS.  One doctor wanted to do all the tests again, but another doctor told me it was unecessary because I had the same symptoms for three and a half months, was no better or worse and had no new symptoms.

Perhaps look at the Fodmap diet and try a food diary to see if any foods are causing bloating.

• Posted

It started out in a single spot and has spread a bit. Always an inch below the belly button to right under the ribscage...So in about a 5 inch range, always right side abdomen. Now I'm getting back pain for the past 3 weeks in roughly the same range of my back, right side.

• Posted

Back pain can be a sign of IBS.  However, my pain moves all over my stomach and never stays in the one spot.
  • Posted

Has doc said your gall bladder is OK? 
    • Posted

I didn't ask him specifically about the gall bladder, but assumed that was the point of the ultrasound/CT scan

• Posted

Hi:  ask.  I had the exact same problem when my gall bladder acted up.  I had stones in it.  An ultrasound to your appendix may not necessarily show gall bladder.  Best to ask to rule out a problem.  Remember the olde saying about assuming......  cool
    • Posted

Daniel - could you share an update?what was your final diagnosis?
    • Posted

Never got a final diagnosis for it. He sent me to an orthro/spine doctor to check for a thoracic problem but that was all clear.

My pain persists though and got really bad for a while. Seems like coffee heavily aggravates it so I stopped drinking it and it relieved it some. My bathroom habits did change a bit in the past couple of months which have me the most worried, so I'm heading back to the gastro one last time to see what he thinks.

Honestly it seems like the pain is around the bends of the colon. I mainly get it right around the area of the Hepatic flexure on the right side, but sometimes it is also in the splenic fixure area when it gets really bad (mainly when I was drinking 2/3 cups of coffee a day). 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.