Curious about IBS symptoms, right side abd pain

Posted , 11 users are following.

I'm a 29 year old male in decent shape. I've been having right side abdominal pain that started out as just pressure roughly 6-7 months ago. Now it's a constant pressure/pain that seems to get worse if I'm sitting/lying down and it has spread to my right side back a bit. Pain ranges from an inch below belly button to 2-3 inches above, an inch to the right. Standing offers some relief. Occasionally the pain is very sharp, but it usually just a constant mild pain. I get pretty bloated after eating now.

I have had some changes in bowel habits. Sort of alternating C/D when before I was constipated for years. 

I had an unremarkable ultrasound 4 months ago and an unremarkable abdominal CT scan 2 months ago. My gastro has said he doesn't want to go further with testing and has diagnosed me with IBS.  I've had an unremarkable colonscopy 4 years ago due to rectal bleeding/piles.

I'm curious if this sounds like IBS? Appreciate any responses. Just trying to figure this out.

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi, I'm in same boat with you, right side, tests seemed ok (No colonoscopy though). Do you have any updates?

• Posted

Does your pain ever move about your abdomen?  Mine does and I was diagnosed with IBS afte unremarkable tests.
  • Posted

My pains were dull, sharp or stabbing, deep grinding and sore to touch.  Were gallbladder problems ruled out by a HIDA scan?
  • Posted

Hey Daniel, do you have any update on this??

I have exactly the same symptoms (also 29 years, male in decent shape). Right tummy in pain but rather 2-3 inches from the belly button, I got right back pain too. Sometime its a tight/ tense pain, sometimes its stabbing pain. I can feel how my tummy pain moves into my back. Sometimes I have loose bowels, sometimes my bowel movement is completely normal.

The only difference is that the pain also moves into my right groin and pubic bone. Do you have that too? 

I am really unsure whether this can be caused by IBS?! Anyone here with this symptom?

I will get a colonoscopy on the 28th of August. My doctor already told me that she is convinced that its IBS.

Thanks a lot,

Marc

• Posted

I too am suffering these exact symptoms. I’m a 32 year old male that’s in good shape. Had blood tests, ultrasound, and endoscopy. I’m booked for a colonoscopy at the end of the month but my gastro has also said that he thinks it’s IBS. I’m just wondering if anyone has managed to find a cure for these pains? 
    • Posted

Hi Legend,

as far as I know, there is no cure. Lifestyle changes and medication can ease the pain. It is usually a chronic lifelong condition. However, you can have periods of no symptoms and no pain.

What symptoms do you have exactly?

Br

Marc

• Posted

Thanks for your response. To be honest, my symptoms are almost exactly the same as the first post in this topic. Pain below the ribs on the RHS that has now spread to the LHS. I very rarely get both sides sore at the same time, it tends to be one or the other. I go to the toilet frequently but it’s generally fairly solid. 
    • Posted

Original poster here and I never found out a reason. My pain progressed fairly badly, but what I did do was I started taking acid reflux medicine again (pantaprazole) and that helped me dramatically. I still get pain occasionally, and I can always feel pressure if I lie on my stomach, but overall it's not nearly as bad. 

I'm still considering pressing for a followup colonoscopy just to be sure though, but it has now been 21 months since my initial symptom. I was also diagnosed with a fatty liver after an ultrasound a few months ago. Only update really

• Posted

Can't edit the above post for some reason, but also I began waking up with some indigestion/slight nausea...very weird feeling I had never quite had (but indigestion/nausea is the best way to explain it), and the acid reflux proton pump inhibitor seemed to reduce it by 90-100%.

Thanks

• Posted

Many thanks for responding to me. I’m glad u seem to have turned the corner a little. I’m going back to see my gastro so will use some of ur post as guidance for me. 
  • Posted

Hi Daniel,

as far as I know, there is no cure. Lifestyle changes and medication can ease the pain. It is usually a chronic lifelong condition. However, you can have periods of no symptoms and no pain.

What symptoms do you have exactly?

Br

Marc

• Posted

Helpful to read all of this. I have the same symptoms with two clean CT scans originally suspected appendicitis but the pain was not that severe. Any updates from the posters? OP how did you decide to try acid reflux medication? I have a colonoscopy in a month. GI suspects IBS or gut sensitivity. 

• Posted

I have only just started treatment but having heard about others who were "cured" of IBS after everything else failed using bowel directed hypnotherapy in Wythenshaw university hospital in manchester england I did some reasearch and found out about a professor Peter Whorewell who is a supposed genious expert on treating ibs and I believe has written books. He has set up a team of clinical hypnotherapists which have been treating ibs patients for some time now.

Like I say I have had four one hour sessions so far and it's supposed to be at least twelve one hour sessions over twelve weeks along with recordings to use each day at home.

I am lucky as I live 40 minutes away from the hospital and being a British citizen get the treatment free on the national health service but I do believe other patients get treatment via Skype as they cannot even leave their homes due to ibs so I am assuming they would take on other patients from different parts of the UK. I do know that their are other Hypnotherapists who are private who also offer hypnotherapy for ibs and they call it a special name like pure hypnotherapy which Is supposedly a strong hypnotherapy that is longer sessions but has lasting results opposed to usual hypnotherapy that often only provides a temporary fix. I have had hypnotherapy before for other reasons and will tell you it's not magic or voodoo and your not in any trance or made to do things. They do not dangle a medallion in front of your face and put you in a trance they just show you how to relax and so then you are focused on their voice so you naturally stop thinking about all the problems and stresses in your life or things you need to do. When your feeling relaxed they suggest things that they want you to visualise and ask you to place your hand on your stomach and think about the palm of your hand being warm against your stomach but the back of your hand feeling colder. Then they ask you to visualise or imagine that your warm in your palm is sinking into your abdomen and calming your stomach and bowels and let me tell you it does seem to relax it even though I have only actually had two of the actual treatments out of four sessions. The first session was questions and answers and explanation of the treatment and the second session was just hypnotherapy to help you relax. I believe private hypnotherapists charge something like £120 per session and again it's over maybe 8 or 9 weeks but I think so me offer a discount if paid all in one. I suppose some people have such bad symptoms with ibs that they would pay anything to get rid of it. I couldn't afford it but had I not got it free on the NHS I would probably have had to borrow the money for private treatment. I have had mebeverine buscopan ranitidine all kinds of anti anxiety meds some were like torture!! and had all the usual peppermint meds and none of them worked for me so just hoping hypnotherapy works like it's worked for all the other people who have mentioned they have had hypnotherapy on this site.

• Posted

I was also found to have a fatty liver although a non alcoholic fatty liver as there's a difference and I don't drink alcohol. Was told losing weight would help dramatically and went on the low carb high fat diet and lost a stone in weight which brought my blood sugars down below diabetic range. So I reversed my type2 diabetes which I was diagnosed with two months after I started feeling back pain and bloated. Saying that I also had oesophagitis and gastritis and found to have helicobacter pylori in my stomach which took weeks of two strong antibiotics and a proton pump inhibitor acid reducing drug being taken all together each day. I cleared the h.pylori infection but it made bloating worse and the proton pump inhibitor gave me a temporary heart murmur hair loss and dizzy spells which were frightening thinking I may need heart surgery. Turns out it was just side effects of the drug omeprazole (nasty nasty drug to me) anyway hopefully hypnotherapy will do the trick or at least improve my ibs a lot as well as ease stress which has for years been called a trigger for ibs.

Was also told IBS is a very vague name for our problem and that it should really be called chronic bowel malfunction as it affects so many parts of the body and it's like as though your abdomen is your second brain or mind. People suffer many symptoms of IBS brain fog back pain thigh pain stinging fingers toes stinging arms legs and thighs and I am told around 70% of IBS sufferers will have general anxiety disorder and around 60% will have different degrees of fibromyalgia and especially women. As a man I was terrified finding pain in one testical until this professor told me it's a symptom of IBS that's not well known. I also found three other men on this web site who suffered with testicular pain also and it was a huge relief to be honest.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.