Cutting my alcoholic friend out of my life

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have had a close friend around me for several months who has a drinking problem which they admit to having and Im not a drinker. This friend or now ex friend did try to get some help and support by his GP couldnt really do much for him. My ex friend did try to cut down on the cans he was drinking everyday because when I first got involved with him to help him. He was on 9 litres of Cider a day, he gave that up and went on to weak cans of lager. He stopped them for a fews days then relapsed and went back on to them. But he has refused to ever go into Rehab, why I dont know but I think he has a big fear about it. He has no one else left in his life, well no one at all. I have done a lot for this now ex friend of mine if not to much and I do know now he will be hiding from the world again drinking away. I have had to tell him I dont want nothing more to do with him unless he is willing to except real help with going into Rehab, otherwise stay out of my life. It was a hard desecion to make as I would say me and my ex friend was probably more closer then friends, but I refused any relationship with him and an alcoholic and non alcoholic do not work out at all that way. There became occasions where he would get very verbally nasty and blame all of his problems on me if he was drunk, then test me with mind games. No Im done with all of that and my ex friend is better of learning how to deal with his own inner demons on his own. He did tell me many times how much he hated his life and wanted to give up drinking, but I just dont feel like he had the strength to do it in the end. So now I believe I have done the right thing and walked away from him, even though he does live just round the corner from me which could still be a problem as long as he leaves me a lone now. If someone isnt willing to help themselves, then I believe there is no point being around people like that.

1 like, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Please fo not force anyone do do anything against their own will.

You are fighting a lost cause.

If he doesn't want to help himself you can do nothing.

Keep the door open but remember this.

He will be back and probably will not change.

Don't go on a guilt trip. Ie. Oh god he is worse

since I stopped seeing him.

Yes it will happen and there is nothing you can do.

You walking away may make him see sense but I sincerely doubt it

Walk away a d dint loom back

If I seem hard,sorry but I have been there and nothing changes until he wants to. Good luck. X

• Posted

Oops sorry spelling mistake.

Walk away and DO NOT LOOK BACK. X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.