CyberKnife vs EBRT

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello

I was diagnoised with prostate cancer in February after an MRI and a biopsy (Gleason 4+4m but bone scan negative, so confined to the prostate for the moment). My oncologist has put me on Zoladex hormone therapy, prior to 38 planned EBRT sessions in the autumn.

Recently, a doctor friend told me about the CyberKnife system, available at several NHS trusts and some private hospitals; apparently it is more accurate than standard EBRT, with fewer sisks and side-effects, and only involves a few sessions (less than 5), so much more convenient.

I'd be grateful for any advice on the pros and cons of the two options, and what criteria the NHS uses to decide which patients can access the CyberKnife treatment,  before going back to my oncologist to discuss further.

Many thanks...

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Anthony,

I cannot give you any information on CyberKnife, but I can on EBRT. I just finished 43 treatments 7 weeks ago. What ever treatment you choose there will be side effects. Fatigue during and after the fractions were the most dominate side effect I experienced. I also had urinary and bowel issues, but they were tolerable. You are also required to drink 28 to 32 ounces of water prior to each treatment. In my case that was a mental issue.

After 7 weeks the fatigue, bowel and urinary issues are going away. Treatments are 5 days a week for how many treatment's you have. I did not receive any hormone treatment, thankful for that.

My PSA is now 2.07...down from 6.86 .

Wishing the best for you, what every treatment you decide on.

Roger

• Posted

Dear Roger

I hope that 2.07 is a typo. After HT and RT treatment mine was down to about .01 and it was unchanged after a year thank goodness.

Best wishes Richard

• Posted

Not a typo!

I was very happy with 2.07.

The different types of radiation therapy don’t kill all of the cells in the prostate gland, so they’re not expected to cause the PSA to drop to an undetectable level. The remaining normal prostate cells will still make some PSA.

• Posted

Dear Roger

I checked out your profile to see where you lived. I had my treatment in Wales in the UK and their expectation following RT and HT is that ones PSA will be down to about the level mine ended up being which was just about zero.

Cheers Richard

• Posted

Hello Roger

Thanks for your info on the EBRT side-effects - the fatigue, urinary and bowel problems are to be expected, I guess, but it's good to know, 7 weeks on, that you are OK. As for having to have a full bladder before each treatment every day, I'm dreding that, as the hornmone therapy is making me want to pee far more frequently than normal - it's a real nuisance, almost on the verge of incontinence. On the other hand, the hormone treatmetn has brought my PSA down from 3.7 to 0.35 after only 3 months.

As for CyberKnife, I've now discovered that it is only suitable for cases of localised PC with a Gleason score of 7 or less. So I'm not eligible for it.

Best wishes

Tony

• Posted

HI Anthony,

Drinking the water and holding it, was a big concern of mine also. I found it to be more of a mental thing, fear of losing the water before or during treatment. You can do it. Do you take flomax? That will help you get through it.

G' Luck to you, don't worry so much about drinking the water, you can do it!

Regards,

Roger

• Posted

2.07 is perfectly normal - in fact, it is very good for a first reading after EBRT. Roger can expect the reading to come down gradually over the next year. Your reading is exceptionally low - one normally associated with RP. Oncologists only tend to worry if PSA goes back over the 'normal' reading after EBRT - i.e. about 4.0.

• Posted

Thanks David for the clarification on my 2.07 PSA score post EBRT.

Richard Ken thinks my score should have been at his level zero.

• Posted

I went over this at length with my Oncologist last month. 2.07 is an encouraging first reading and you should be very pleased.
    • Posted

Dear Roger

Correction I'm not aware that I said your score should have been zero but I think I said my score was just about zero. In fact I believe it was .1 which I was led to understand was the level they expected after treatment.

Cheers Richard

• Posted

RichardKen,

It is irrelevant what you said or didn't say regarding the PSA scores.

I am just happy I completed my 43 treatment's of EBRT and my PSA was 2.07 after completion

Roger

• Posted

Dear Roger

I'm sorry that you consider what I said was not relevant. I was only saying how it was for me just as you have said how it was for you

Good luck

Richard

• Posted

I've heard good things about Cyberknife. I considered that treatment along with EBRT and Brachytherapy. I was diagnosed over a year ago. My PSA was at 5.9, Gleason score of 6.5. After discussions with my urologist and my oncologist, I decided on the Brachytherapy. As Roger says, any treatment will have it's side effects. But they are tolerable. With any radiation treatment, there will be some days of fatigue. Just remember that the side effects will end. I had the Brachytherapy treatment a little over one year ago. At this point, I am back where I was before any of this started. I feel good, and cancer free. My PSA at the one year point was at 0.11. I had a great oncologist who took time to discuss treatment options with me. He explained in detail the pros and cons. I liked the Brachytherapy as it is a one time treatment done as an outpatient procedure. It takes about 45 minutes while you a under anesthesia. After about 1 hour recoveray, you go home. Take time to research your options and ask questions. What ever treatment you choose... just make sure your doctor has performed that treatment successfully many times. Good luck to you. - Charles

• Posted

Hello Charles

Interesting to hear about your good experience with brachyotherapy. This was not suggested to me as an option, I think because my cancer is rated as 'locally advanced' with a Gleason score of 8, which also counts me out for CyberKnife (only for localised PC with a Gleason of 7 or less). So hormone therapy + EBRT (which  am putting off until October so as not to wreck my summer plans) is the recommended regime in my case, apparently.

Best wishes

Tony

• Posted

Yes you are correct in that the Gleason score and PSA should be within a certain range for Cyberknife or Brachytherapy treatment. In your case, the hormone therapy and the EBRT should work well for you.

The best to you

Charles

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.