CyberKnife vs EBRT

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello

I was diagnoised with prostate cancer in February after an MRI and a biopsy (Gleason 4+4m but bone scan negative, so confined to the prostate for the moment). My oncologist has put me on Zoladex hormone therapy, prior to 38 planned EBRT sessions in the autumn.

Recently, a doctor friend told me about the CyberKnife system, available at several NHS trusts and some private hospitals; apparently it is more accurate than standard EBRT, with fewer sisks and side-effects, and only involves a few sessions (less than 5), so much more convenient.

I'd be grateful for any advice on the pros and cons of the two options, and what criteria the NHS uses to decide which patients can access the CyberKnife treatment,  before going back to my oncologist to discuss further.

Many thanks...

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Interesting that those in this group haven't discussed Robotic Assisted Radical Prostatectomy.  It was the method of treatment I chose and at this point (2 months post op) I am extremely pleased.  Follow up PSA in about 3 weeks will give me a better picture of the elimination of the cancer.  I had PSA 8.8, gleason 7-4/3.  I am 67 yrs old. Only side effect is urinary incontinence which from other discussions should be gone 6-12 months.

• Posted

I understand that ED issues are expected the severity being dependant on the success of the nerve sparing during surgery.

Cheers Richard

• Posted

FYI on CyberKnife... this quote is from a recent study outcome:

Patients treated with a newer, faster type of radiotherapy, called stereotactic body radiation therapy (SBRT/Cyberknife), also have higher rates of urinary complications, according to a new study published in the Journal of Clinical Oncology.

Doctors need to KNOW the risks and the benefits of anything they recommend to patients, then make sure the treatment meets the patient needs. Too often we plunge ahead to the "newest" technology without consulting its effectiveness and complications. Your doctor probably did NOT tell you that CyberKnife has a much higher incidence of urinary problems than the normal hyperfractionated EBRT.

• Posted

Please see my post below yours 'Pleased with Outcome'. I cannot advise on Cyberknife but I was happy with my treatment/outcome - although the 37 sessions was a bit of a faff.

?Good luck with whichever option you choose.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.