Cyclizine - Very Dangerous Side Effects

Posted , 33 users are following.

I was taken into hospital with severely painful kidneys, and given morphine as pain relief. Unfortunately this gave me terrible nausea so I was given Cyclizine via IV. Within 10 seconds I went into anaphalactic shock and couldn't breath unassisted. I had to be given adrenalin and was on oxygen for a considerable time. For the next two days I couldn't urinate and had to be catheturised. It was a frightening and stressful experience. The attending doctor told me that it was unheard of for anyone to be allergic to this drug, and that my inability to pee was not connected. I am still trying to recover. More research needs to be done. I believe this drug is dangerous.

0 likes, 70 replies

70 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Yellow card didn't contact me back and did nothing, I agree though we have to try.
  • Posted

A friend of mine was recently given Cyclizine by injection and lost feeling in her legs for days and suffered from slurred speech and hallucinations. We have also had trouble making a complaint to the Hospital as they seem to have no interest in the damage caused by this drug. Paul maybe in numbers we would have a case?
  • Posted

Hi Paul, can u message me, i nearly lost my wife 2 nights ago when she was given it I.V

thanks mate

Emis Moderator comment: I've removed the phone number as we do not publish personal details like this. Please use the message service if you do want to give another user your details.

• Posted

I'm new to this, but I'm very clued up meds and how they react on the body, I'm not really into forums i prefer to talk and for that very reason I will be heard in getting this filth looked into, anybody fancy a chat lets get this sorted

ta

• Posted

Paul there's a big cover up going on here and i intend to expose it, my wife is having an echo as she has heart pain from 2 nights ago when Cyc nearly killed here, they nearly called the crash team. its a disgrace. give me a call mate

• Posted

oh ok moderator i got your comment, are emails ok?

• Posted

Use the Private Messaging thing - the orange button marked 'Message' under the person you want to contacts name wink
  • Posted

Hi m921,

The short answer is no, as House has posted you can contact others by using the Message button. We do not post phone numbers or emails as this opens you up to spammers or anyone can use your phone number. I realise you may be happy to take this risk but our T&Cs state we will remove any we come across.

You can post a comment anywhere saying you would like to discuss in person so if any users are interested to send you a message asking for your details rather than you messaging others.

Hope that helps.

Alan

• Posted

I am shocked and appalled that this drug can be given so easily when it is obvious that in the majority of cases it is going to cause a serious if not life threatening reaction. I was administered this drug 5 years ago through an IV after coming out of an operation in recovery and being violently sick.....well just exactly as many of you have described it was within 10 seconds that I began to feel terribly unwell, it started with a cold feeling with a dry mouth and racing heart after that I was gone......completely unconscious, although I do remember hearing everything that was going on around me, panicking nurses etc I was unable to respond, I could not talk, move, open my eyes....it all felt very surreal like I was watching the events unravel before me but unable to wake up!!! When they eventually got me back......I was told that I just went into a very deep sleep, however I had bruising all over my chest where I am sure I was given compressions when I stopped breathing, but when I asked about this, the subject was changed very rapidly.....my files / notes were never left for me to see.......and the doctors and nurses were very cagey about the whole event. I had to stay in hospital for around a week before my blood pressure managed to return to normal, however, whether it may be connected or not I now feel very tired all the time and don't seem to have the strength or stamina that I used to.....I was always a very efficient, busy mother of 4 children and now find myself often feeling flustered and confused when things seem hectic which in my life is everyday......after reading all your posts I wonder if it was this drug that has caused this evident change in me!!! Unfortunately I have little faith that we will get anywhere in highlighting these acts of medical negligence as it is always covered up by the doctors and nurses.....however, we are the ones left with this horrific experience that quite frankly NEVER leaves your mind, I now wear a medi bracelet clearly stating that I MUST never be given this drug again as the reaction it had on me was so severe I have been told that it will probably kill me if I was ever administered it again!!!
  • Posted

Yes the usual cover up, the drug company want it seen as safe putting the risks down to the nurses who have to give it slowly over 5 mins. Then when the $h!t hits the fan, they cover it up and look to put anything else as a cause. They cant go back to the drug company and report it as they themselves then get the blame for prescribing it wrongly. I had fake statements, lie after lie from the hospital. Your reaction is real but you will never get this registered as a reaction to Cyclyzine. The drug company simply will not allow this to happen.
  • Posted

I take Cyclizine orally on a regular basis for nausea caused by chemotherapy. It's not totally effective as anti

nausea drug and I have had to built up tolerance to the drowsiness it causes.

Just for interest. One of my GPs questioned why I had it on repeat prescription. She was quite happy when I

told her why I used it, but this made me curious. So I googled it and came across a drug users forum in USA. Apparently it is a very desirable drug to inject in the US because of the spaced out sensations it causes when used IV. From what I remember the tablets are used and as a consequence it has been banned in the US. I

think partly because of the damage it does to the veins, using 'dissolved' tablets to inject.

However it suggests to me that at least in the US the authorities know about some of the reactions people are describing here.

I have made a mental note never to allow anyone to give it to me by IV.

• Posted

I recently had surgery and was v sick after so was given Cyclizine, as soon as this was being given by IV I felt

legs go cold and numb followed by a floating feeling, seeing light, slurred speech, I thought I was dying. My

husband thought I was having a stroke !

I am now having dizzy spells every day and will be seeking advice as this is not right.

• Posted

Contact the MHRA who are in denial and Amdipharm the Drug company who prefer money to exposing these cases to the MHRA. As long as there is money these drugs will continue to put people's lives at risk. Open up a case with both, the more the better although you will get fobbed off and lied to. It took me two years to get Amdipharm to admit that these were infact symptoms to their drug. They new all along and guess what, its still available and nurses still do not know the proper procedure for administering it by IV.

Regards,

Paul.

• Posted

Hi Paul

Thanks, I have already posted on the yellow card site. This is truly scared stuff. I simply knew something was not right and googled the side effects and was shocked to see this forum.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.