Cyclizine - Very Dangerous Side Effects

Posted , 33 users are following.

I was taken into hospital with severely painful kidneys, and given morphine as pain relief. Unfortunately this gave me terrible nausea so I was given Cyclizine via IV. Within 10 seconds I went into anaphalactic shock and couldn't breath unassisted. I had to be given adrenalin and was on oxygen for a considerable time. For the next two days I couldn't urinate and had to be catheturised. It was a frightening and stressful experience. The attending doctor told me that it was unheard of for anyone to be allergic to this drug, and that my inability to pee was not connected. I am still trying to recover. More research needs to be done. I believe this drug is dangerous.

0 likes, 70 replies

70 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I have had IV Cyclizine twice. The first time my heart rate went to 156bpm, felt like I couldn't breath and the palpations hurt a lot!!! The awful nurse said I was making myself anxious and walked out, I eventually got a dr and he said I was having reactive tachycardia. It settled but I felt terrible. The 2nd time (yesterday) I had run out of anti nausea medications so cyclizine was the only one left. I requested they give very slowly and dilute it. I still suffered VT, double vision and became unconscious. I then suffered tremors and shortness of breath. It was a horrid experience and I feel like giving it to the A&E  staff and seeing how they like it. It works for nausea but the side effects are a horrible experience and I feel this drug should be banned ASAP. 
  • Posted

Hi, I'm not sure how everyone is getting on after their traumatic experiences of Cyclazein? I hope youn are coping well with your symptoms ( or have no long term problems). It's now 18 months down the line after my experience..... And I have to say I still have problems. Unable to concentrate, fatigue, and my left side is still affected when I'm tired or stressed.  As far as heart palpitations go I do already have tacicardia arythmia, Cyclazein doesn't seem to have affected or altered that. I feel as strongly as all of you, if they are going to administer this drug intravenously they need to do it VERY slowly and be aware of the extreme side effects this drug has.  Preferably stop using it altogether. 
  • Posted

Hi emm44, even if they give it so slowly, it still causes these dangerous and very distressing side effects. I have bruises on my sternum from where the did a sternal rub for a while trying to wake me up. It was awful and I believe it should be banned. Clealy these side effects are affecting many ppl so you all know how upsetting this is. A very dangerous medication. 
  • Posted

They all say its an alergic reaction so they do not get any back lash. The issue is that you was given it by IV under five minutes. This is the reaction caused by nurses not having the knowledge on this drug until it is to late.

• Posted

Hi

Do you really believe it is all the nurses fault for not knowing how to administer the drug? The drug itself is very dangerous regardless for how fast it is administered. Most nurses do know but the drug has such severe side effects it has to be put down too 'oh that's normal' sort of response to reactions/side effects. It needs to be reviewed but the cost would be millions so its either keep it and deal with consequences or ban it which would cause more consequences (cost, availability, reputation), so I'm not sure of the answer but I now refuse it. I'd advise ppl to report and refuse it.

• Posted

Angry, 3,years on and we do not seem to be getting anywhere. Paul has gone out of the loop as has Mark. I'm still not 100% more tests and more neurologists appointments. This drug is lethal. Anyone who has had a reaction should wear a mediband as it is used in anaesthetics in hospitals. It has made me petrified of stepping into hospital again. Certainly would not have an op...every time I push myself my body can't take it. sad 
    • Posted

I've heard nothing off anyone either. I'm five years on and my autonomic system is still u diagnosable I was under the QE in birmingham but even they don't know what's going on. I have returned this week from London at the NHNN for full autonomic testing my heart rate, blood pressure, temperature, adrenaline and many other things are still all over the place cyclazine has ruined my life for good
  • Posted

Oh scatty I'm so sorry to hear that. It seems like it totally messes up your whole nervous system. My heart rate and anxiety levels are through the roof. I can actually feel the adrenaline running through my body. We need a reset bottom. I am awaiting results of nerve and muscle testing. Nobody seems to understand the effects. 

I am taking a strong probiotic, it's expensive but I think it is helping. I have removed a lot of stress from my life and find my coping mechanisms are better. As soon as I am stressed, I almost go into trachardia mode. Feel like my heart is going to explode as on the day of the injection and my speech becomes affected again and my leg becomes heavy. 

I hope you get some positive feedback from NHNN...when will you get the results? 

• Posted

Hi I had a very similar reaction to the original poster.

I had had an operation on my inner ear, I don't know how much cyclizine I'd had but when I woke in recovery and for a while after I could hear what I thought was a helicopter landing on the roof but the nurse said they didn't have one. I just remember being very disoriented.

Anyway I was given tramadol and cyclizine at the same time via IV and very quickly felt dizzy and then paralysed, I think the nurse came back over to me because I could see a bright white silhouette but everything else was black. When I came round I was asked if I remembered anything and said no, she said you gave us a scare. I had gone into shock also like original poster said and was given oxygen for some time, according to my notes my neck/head locked back, my fists clenched and I turned blue. I remember having nail marks/cuts on my hands where I have long nails from my fists being clenched. I don't know how long it took me to come round.

I am now banned from tramadol and cyclizine but they are pretty sure it was the cyclizine.

I've had several ops now for the same thing and had not had cyclizine. On my last operation however I was told I was given cyclizine despite telling them I'm allergic!! But this time during my op. I was not happy, my lip had swelled up, I was very confused for quite some time after. I recently spoke to an anesthetist about it as I'm due another op and they said if cyclizine is given whilst under anaesthetic no one will know if you had an allergic reaction because you are under and won't show symptoms. I am not very happy I was given it after the serious effect from my first op considering it being in my notes and telling nurses & doctors lots of times before the op that I am not allowed it!.

It can be very very dangerous!

• Posted

I have jusr been prescribed Cyclizine 50mg. for dizziness associatedwith middle ear infection..am 80 years of age....having read this report am so worried sick about takng this as aready had bad reaction to other drugs....I have a heart condition to start with so this could be dangerous....
    • Posted

Hi Mary

apologies if this has scared you. It might be wise to ask your dr if you can have something else. I am led to believe there are other anti sickness drugs that do not have the same side effects as cyclizine

• Posted

Strange that they would give you this drug... The dangers of this drug are more around how it is administered, Orally I think you will be fine, although I would still raise your concerns and point your Doctor to the adverse affects (that never get documented) on these forums and the drug companies. The dangers are when it is administered by IV quickly by nurses who have not had this explained to them.
  • Posted

A few years ago I was blue-lighted to hospital with meningitis. They pumped all kinds of stuff into me- fluids, antibiotics, painkillers, blood thinners, stuff to stabilise my blood pressure, antisickness ect. One of the drugs they gave me after I had been in a week or so was cyclizine- within seconds it felt like someone had injected me with boiling water- had searing pain all up my arm & a huge redness spread all up my arm, onto my chest ect, I was really dizzy, couldn't breathe ect. They gave me something to stop the reaction & had to be put on loads of oxygen & something to slow my heart rate down as it shot up dangerously high. I thought I was going to die- as it was the meningitis nearly killed me then they gave me cyclizine & it did all that. It's a dangerous drug but they told me reactions are rare. I was in hospital a few weeks ago with kidney problems from ESBL bacteria which probably got into my system from my long-term catheter & one nurse tried giving me cyclizine again even though I had allergy bands on, & it was written in my notes & on the board outside my room that I was allergic to the stuff. Was only wehn I asked her waht she was about to put through the cannula that she told me it was cyclizine & I stopped her! This drug needs to be tested more in regards to allergic reactions as it could kill someone if they are given it. It's dangerous.

• Posted

Its a year late but I'm panicing. 

I was on holiday, prescribed some new Antidepresents. but the pharmasist muddled up Sertraline with Cyclazine. I felt the high from the cyclizine and thought the tabelts were working. i was also on a holiday which envolved alcohol (student "I love tour" holiday). 

I felt terrible one morning after a night of boozing and took the tablets, my god did they mess me up. i had no idea what it was though as i thought they were as described by my Dr, unaware i had the wrong tablets as i HAD doubnle checked with my pharmasist as i didnt recognise the name. 

I recieved :confussion, dizzyness, heart pulputation, tight and very slow breathing at first, mild hallucinations, twitching and many other things.

I was completely UNAWARE it was the tablets and continued to take them whilst considering taking myself to the italian hospital. I suffered 3 days and two nights, i got back to england and just bad it home (via coach), my heart and lungs felt like they couldnt hack another second, called NHS 111, they got me in an ambulance and straight to hospital, confirming Cyclazine being the culprate.. they looked so confused when i said i'm taking Cyclazine for depression, i also felt extremely embarrassed when i'd realised it's the wrong drug.

My pharmasist had a new electronic stystem which i'm assuming is what caused this issue. i'm waiting on my dr being available to have a talk with him now.

But it's been several days without the tablets and my lungs and heart still don't feel right, how long did it take for some of you to recover? The concern as a very active and healthy athlete is very high right now.   

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.