Cystoscope . Has anyone experienced it ?

Posted , 22 users are following.

Cystoscopy is the worst procedure anyone can go threw. I don’t recommend it at all. I don’t understand why we need it I mean can the CT scan and the MRI give you a clear picture of what’s inside of you ?.

I had it done yesterday around 4 pm and it felt like I was giving birth and after the procedure every time I pee I feel like I’m passing a stone , I went to the bathroom 7 times at night last night and each time was the same painful dilemma feeling. They gave me Uribel to sooth the urinary track infection but I have to tell you it ain’t helping at all. 

I understand that each person has different reaction to this procedure and I understand the age also plays a factor but for me it was like sliding on a salt roller Coster butt naked .

I can tolerate pain but this one  I couldn’t .

0 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Huh, I've never really considered why it's needed.  I've had all of those (and trust me, a bladder CT with contrast injected through a catheter ain't no picnic, either), but I personally got much more information from the CTs and ultrasounds.  Maybe the uros can see things with the cysto that just can't be seen with the other tests, but if so, mine aren't really communicating it.

• Posted

Just in case anybody is put off by your post may I balance your comments.....I had the procedure and didnt feel a thing and was able to watch on monitor.   I know everybody has a different experience but perhaps the camera tube they used was not the correct size  for you.   If you have any discomfort may I suggest that you suggest to the urologist that a smaller scope be used ?   ...there are various sizes.....
  • Posted

Oh, and just FYI, thanks for reminding me I have a cysto and bladder function test tomorrow morning. Good times!  :-) 
  • Posted

Find the right urologist.

There are many who will place u in harms way n continue practicing.

• Posted

Mine cost $450, and he did it twice within a year. The 2nd one he was up there forever, and said I had a high neck bladder. Don't understand how they can charge that much for a 2-5 minute peek.

• Posted

Obviously it was not covered by insurance but it should have been. Recheck with your insurer.
  • Posted

I had mine about 3 yrs ago. Even though the Dr said there's no problem and no discomfort I made him put me out. He said ok. If your Dr refuses I would look for a new Dr.

Good luck.

• Posted

I have to say.....I know the thought can be daunting, but please keep in perspective.   I self catheretize 5/6 a day and the  cystoscopy is not a lot different if the right size camera tube is used.....It is lubricated  and if it is painful they are  not using the right size.
  • Posted

I've had two, and haven't felt any pain from them. It allows the Urologist to see if you have any blockage and also lets them check on your bladder health. If it hurt he must be doing something wrong, not any worse than a catheter.

• Posted

The person performing it was either incompetent or using an earlier model cystoscope. Never saw another complaint on this forum in the 4 years I am on it.
  • Posted

I've had it done twice, the first time they gave me Valium and it wasn't too bad, the second time without Valium I must have been so nervous it hurt a lot. Uribel won't help if you have a UTI as far as I know you'd need to be tested for which anti-biotic is good for you. Now that I know how to self catheter the cystosocopy itself is probably not that bad, just being so nervous and not having control you tend to push against it and fight the doctor, and that's why it's so bad. Some others seem to be able to switch off and let the doc glide it in without problems.

• Posted

I had a cystoscope in Feb. Didn't hurt much - very minor discomfort, and lasted only a few minutes. However, I contracted a UTI from it, and four days post procedure was running to the bathroom every 15 minutes. My uro went on vacation, so my regular doctor prescribed an antibiotic - Cipro. The infection improved within hours after the first tablet. However, by the last tablet 10 days later I got dizzy and may have experienced some unfortunate side effects from this very dangerous antibiotic. At the time I was taking it I didn't know it was dangerous, but some people on this forum brought this to my attention (too late, unfortunately), and I began reading up about people who got "floxed" from the Cipro. Anyway, if you have a UTI take a different antibiotic. Apparently the uros are used to doing the scope and are not used to using scans to look at what's going on inside. 

Best of luck,

Tom

• Posted

Tom, I had the same reaction.  The cystoscopy was tolerable, but then I started to feel the need to go to the bathroom every 15 minutes.  I ended up on Cipro.  I'm afraid to have another one since I've taken my share of antibiotics after the past two years for other things.  I don't know if I had an infection or inflammation.  Cipro also has anti-inflammatory benefits as well as antibiotic.  I've had an ultrasound, MRI and CT scan.  You would think these would show something.  I read reviews of patients having ultrasounds and seeing their impingement on the screen.  Anyone, any ideas like me know.  I want to avoid the scope and use something else diagnostic.  I don't know of anything else.  

• Posted

Camster,

Appears we had the same outcome from the cystoscopy.

About the Cipro: I followed a link that was sent to me here about a warning from Bayer about Cipro. They should know - they make it. The warning called it the antibiotic of "last resort" because there have been many people who have had life changing after effects from it. So, I began to read some of these reports on the net, and they were scary. Since then I have been having some odd and slightly negative physical issues, and I can't say these are from the Cipro, but I also can't say they aren't. I will never take it again. There are other, slightly less powerful, antibiotics that can be taken to knock out a UTI. 

The reason I took the Cipro was because I had taken it before on several occasions with no bad effects. However, after reading the various posts, apparently the more one takes Cipro, the more likely it will cause issues. 

Some day, in the future, all of these invasive procedures will be seen as barbaric, including cystoscopes, GI endoscopes, colonoscopies, etc. 

Tom

• Posted

Tom,  My gut bothers me and it is probably from antibiotic use although I tried to cover myself with probiotics and Florastor during these cycles.  If you know of other antibiotics that can be used for urinary tract issues that are safer, I would like to know them for future reference.  Despite our progress in medicine, we have a long way to go.  I agree that these invasive scopes will be looked back as barbaric.  I've had image studies and they haven't told me anything conclusive.  I know of procedures that are image-guided using ultrasound so it should pick up prostate configuration/stricture.  So I feel stuck not wanting a cystoscopy because of a bad experience.  Cam

• Posted

Cam,

Go on the net and look up alternatives to Cipro. I have decided I will not have another cystoscope. Why bother? It's not worth the risk to me. I took a couple of Tylenol tablets before the procedure so the discomfort was minimal. 

Tom

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.