Cystoscope . Has anyone experienced it ?

Posted , 22 users are following.

Cystoscopy is the worst procedure anyone can go threw. I don’t recommend it at all. I don’t understand why we need it I mean can the CT scan and the MRI give you a clear picture of what’s inside of you ?.

I had it done yesterday around 4 pm and it felt like I was giving birth and after the procedure every time I pee I feel like I’m passing a stone , I went to the bathroom 7 times at night last night and each time was the same painful dilemma feeling. They gave me Uribel to sooth the urinary track infection but I have to tell you it ain’t helping at all. 

I understand that each person has different reaction to this procedure and I understand the age also plays a factor but for me it was like sliding on a salt roller Coster butt naked .

I can tolerate pain but this one  I couldn’t .

0 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Can relate 100%. I've had 6 or 7 over the years and despite objections concerning pain the docs try to reassure about how they will be gentle. Hardly. Most recent was in May and I requested Demerol. It helps. Docs prefer to forgo this option because it may require a recovery period and someone to oversee your way home.

• Posted

I had it done 3 times. First time was more painful because urologist was rushing and pushing cystoscope thru my urethra fast creating pressure on sphincter valve and manipulating it harshly.

Other 2, no problem at all. Different urologist was very gentle.

MK

• Posted

After my cystoscope I got a UTI AND bleeding with clots that lasted several days. So, not so benign. 
  • Posted

I have undergone 2 cystoscopies in the last 8 months and had no pain during (just a slight feeling of pressure) or after (other than a slight tingling on the first post-cystoscopy pee.)  For me, no worse than a DRE.
  • Posted

Most of the pain is mental.  The fear of it is worse than the actual procedure, mainly because it involves your most precious part.  However, I have found that self catheterization is much less painful because I am in control, when I feel pain I slow down or stop.  The doc doesn't feel your pain so doesn't know when to slow down or stop, He just keeps pushing it in.  Often the people in the urologist's office are under time pressure, they have other patients waiting, so they go fast,

The cystoscope is very valuable to the Urologist because he can get his eyes right on the urinary track and bladder.

Thomas

• Posted

The first one I had was only slightly uncomfortable.  The last, done by female urologist was totally painless.  Was yours done by a urologist, or a by a guy from Jiffy Lube?
  • Posted

Had my second one done 5 days ago, the one before that was 2 years ago.

Whilst the lubricating/anesthetic gel they inject into your penis first is a little painful, the procedure itself is not that bad and being able to see what is onscreen is fascinating. 

It was painful to pee for a few hours after, but really by the next morning, everything was basically back to normal.

On a side note, I feel really sorry for my American Counterparts having to pay such exorbitant amounts for the procedure... both mine were done on the British NHS and didn't cost me a cent.

• Posted

By the time most of us Americans reach the age of needing a cystoscopy, we are on Medicare (kicks in at 65) so the out-of-pocket cost is minimal.  The unfortunate ones under 65 that don't have insurance are the ones to feel sorry for.  My doctor billed Medicare $770 for my last one but Medicare only paid him $157 and my co-pay was $20.  It's a crazy system for sure.

• Posted

I am only 48 myself..

It's shocking you guys can get charged so much, either you have to choose to live with your symptoms or cough up all that cash..

I was in a similar situation when I lived in South Africa, either you had medical aid (basically medical insurance, which cost a small fortune, and then they'd only pay for part of the procedures) or you paid cash or you just lived with it...

• Posted

I had one a few weeks ago.  Out of the blue, I'd had an incident of urinating blood, so the urologist started with ultrasound, then X-ray, then CT scan.  None of those showed any problems, so he said we had to do the cysto in order to see if there was a tumor in the bladder (he said the CT scan can miss tumors).

The procedure itself wasn't too painful.  But urinating afterwards was incredibly painful for the next 2 days.  The best way I can describe it was it felt like someone was dragging barbed wire through my urethra as I urinated.  Just excruciating pain.  Day one was bad, but day two was just off the charts.  I think it was the first time in my life I had pain bad enough to actually scream out loud.  And it would take about 15 minutes after urinating before the pain was finally gone.  

The doctor had given me Pyridium to supposedly ease the pain (he called it like a "pepto bismal" for your urinary tract...).  But didn't seem to help at all.

Day three was finally less pain, and day four was finally no pain.  And the procedure didn't find anything.  So after all the tests, they tell me that the blood in the urine was just due to my BPH.

• Posted

On annual visit, my GP discovered high PSA result so sent me to urologist on that basis alone.

Told Ur I hadn't had enough issue to warrant visit other than high PSA.  Ur decided he should have endoscope look anyway after which following days couldn't pee due to infection.  Ended up with catheter strapped to my leg for several weeks.   

• Posted

This is exactly what I'm afraid of, another UTI and antibiotics. It really made matters worse.  I have been putting a cystoscopy off for this reason. 

• Posted

My concern is antibiotic resistance.  My circumstances won't rule out future cystos. But I will always request pain relief.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.