Cystoscopy

Posted , 5 users are following.

whos had one of these

1 like, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I had one in June, not a big deal. The doctor applied a numbing cream before inserting the scope and checked out my bladder. It only took about 10 minutes from start to finish.

• Posted

I almost cancelled my cystoscopy appointment because I was terrified. As Amanda said they use a numbing cream before inserting the scope. The procedure only took a few minutes but the doctor looked really serious so I thought he had found a big problem. The nurse told me afterwards that the doctor didnt look serious he was just concentrating. I was told right away that there was no problem with my bladder but I know some patients are nit told at the time and have to go back for their results. The procedure was embarrassing and uncomfortable but not painful. When I passed urine after the procedure there was slight stinging and a funny sensation, I took a couple of Paracetamol and was completely fine (and relieved) the next morning. I will be thinking about you tomorrow, try to get some sleep and take care.

• Posted

HI Lisa

Its complicated. I was having a lot of vaginal burning and soreness and was seen by a gynaecologist who diagnosed vaginal atrophy but I was also having recurrent urine infections and there was always microscopic blood in my urine and I was continually passing urine.

So I basically my problems were all mixed up but sort of connected.

The gynaecologist prescribed Vagifem for significant vaginal atrophy and after my cystoscopy the urologist prescribed Mirabegron for overactive bladder and Cefalexin for my recurrent urine infections. I was told not to worry about the microscopic blood in my urine, it could have been caused by the vaginal atrophy or the recurrent urine infections and that it is not uncommon in ladies of a certain age - I was 63.

I only use the Vagifem when I feel really uncomfortable with the VA but I take the Mirabegron and Cefalexin every day and no longer get urine tract infections and pass urine less often than I used to do.

All the best for your procedure, it would be nice to know how it goes. Take care.

• Posted

i had it done not so bad but after its stinging so bad did u get tgis what helps

• Posted

Hi Lisa,

Pleased you had the procedure done, have they told you the results?

I did have some stinging and a funny sensation when I passed urine after the procedure but I took Paracetamol and had a bath and I was fine the next day.

When you think about it they have using numbing cream and put an instrument inside you to look around so some stinging or soreness is probably to be expected. I was told I might have some slight bleeding but if there was any blood I didnt notice any.

Hope you are feeling better tomorrow.

• Posted

Thanks for the update Lisa, I am really pleased your results were normal and the stinging is improving. Take care.

• Posted

dr has suggested possible cystoscopy but one called i think rigid which he says i will have to have general anaesthetic for as it goes further into bladder. my gp and i are not sure. i have these flare ups of irritation in the bladder, not frequency, uti not present. the irritation wakes me up and is uncomfortable. i had it last year and it went away but returned recently after being put on a trial of anti depressant for anxiety. has anyone had bladder irritability without frequency?

• Posted

I used to get frequent irritation of the bladder sometimes with a UTI or microscoptic blood in my urine but often no infection or microscopic blood just symptoms of an infection and needing to pass urine often.

I was seen by a Gynaecologist who diagnosed Vaginal Atrophy (dryness) obviously this depends on how old you are - I was 63. I was prescribed a course of Vagifem.

I was also seen by a Urologist and had a flexible cystoscopy which was uncomfortable but NOT painful. I was prescribed Mirabegron for overactive bladder and Cefalexin to prevent UTI's .

Its not always easy to get to the root of your problems and I wish you all the best, is you GP going to refer you to a urologist who is the best person to advise regarding rigid or flexible cystoscopy.

Take care.

• Posted

saw urologist, short appointment. just said, gen anaes, rigid cystoscopy, then six weekly bladder infusions. didnt even look at me or examine me at all. i was not impressed. i have heard there is such a thing as urogynaecologist and wonder if i should try to ask to see one.

• Posted

Doesnt seem like your urologist had a very good bedside manner. I havent heard of a urogynaecologist but there is no harm in asking to see one or asking for a second opinion regards having a rigid cystoscopy. Take care of yourself and all the best.

• Posted

hi i had one today, well i was supposed to but because my ueerhra was so narrow i didnt have a full one.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.