cystoscopy and scared

Posted , 7 users are following.

i am a 50 year old male and having a cystoscopy tomorrow 12/02/15 and have to admit i am terrified of having it done and the results.i started having blood in my urine (non visible)a few months ago and only went to the doctors with a pain in my lower back and gave a urine sample which determined blood in my urine so he sent me to have an ultrasound and everything came back normal however there was still blood in my urine so im having the dreaded cystoscopy,if it is not cancer what could it be?can anyone put my mind at ease please?andrew 

0 likes, 58 replies

58 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi andrew79570

derick76 is absolutely correct. There is nothing to it. During the test you are able to watch what is happening and ask as many questions as you like. As for myself I found it interested.

Again as for myself I was diagnosed with cancer and the treatment was brilliant. But don't think that you have the same. As it could just be an infection that was not picked up.

But once again don't worry about it, it is also pain free.

• Posted

are you cured now mark?i cannot see it being an infection
    • Posted

I am cured now, I just go back each year for routine tests and I am still clear of cancer.

But not saying that you have cancer, the treatment is so good and pain free.

As I said, it may be something that was not tested or picked up on by the initial test.

• Posted

Hope all goes well andrew79570. But it was through a cystoscopy that detected the enlarged prostate. But thinking about it could it be the prostate that could be pushing against a blood vessel, which might be causing the bleed? But even with the blood test and the obvious finger test the enlargement was not spotted.

But also to thankyou for your kind words.

• Posted

One last thing. Try not too worry until you think it is worth worrying about. Worrying will bring on stress and have you thinking the worse.
  • Posted

Hi andrew79570

Just one more thing. Have you had a prostate examination? Reason why I asked was during the initial test, it showed an enlarged prostate, which pushes against the bladder causing constant running to the toilet also I had been told that this could cause blood in the urine. At the time my fluid intake was around 1.9ml and my outtake was 2.4ml.

Dose it sound like you are passing more liquid than what you are talking in.

With this I am taking medication for this and it does help.

They will also look for this during your test. As the prostate enlarges, it will push against the bladder and restrict the amount of fluid it is able to hold, which will increase the number of trips to the toilet that you have to make.

• Posted

i had a prostate examination a long time ago and had the blood tests for prostate cancer about 2 weeks ago and all was fine however i am going to the toilet all the time so it could be an enlarged prostate
  • Posted

Hi Andrew,  I am going through similar at the moment.  I am 50 year old female, with an episode of gross haematuria - I passed what looked like just blood.  Within a week I had a ultrasound scan - which did not 'show anything significant' according to the radiologist. Next week. 18/2, I too am having a cystoscopy.  I had one of these some years ago for similar problems, and nothing could be found. I don't remember the procedure being particularly uncomfortable, but it was a long time ago. So, like you I am currently quite worried about what this could be, as I have never had so much

blood, visible, before.  Please let me know how you go on tomorrow and good luck 😊

• Posted

Back in 1994 I had a new doctor and the first time I visited him was with pain in my lower back. He surprised me by saying that he thought it was from my prostate. He did a DRE ..digital rectal exam... and said that my prostate was enlarged and sent me to see a urologist for a cystoscopy and other tests.

I was most impressed by his correct diagnosis from my vague back pain. 

• Posted

He was very good but as with others the NHS became to much of a burden and he took a different path and studied and now teaches and practices on the interface between Autogenic Therapy, Cognitive Behaviour Therapy, Visualisation techniques, Meditative type practices and neuro-science in health. 

• Posted

Hi Andrew I had this done last week also for a routine urine sample blood. The test was uncomfortable slightly for about 30 seconds, it's like having a catheter put in. As someone else said you can see the image on the screen nothing was found thankfully and then they scanned my kidneys again fine. Have you googled urine tests getting negative results for an infection even though they is one, it's quite common and for the anti-biotics not to work. I got a phonecall from the doctors a couple of days later saying I did have a urine infection despite the doctors confirming the day before I didn't! Not sure if its cleared up I have to make another appointment. Best of luck for tomorrow
    • Posted

yes it is,  years ago I went for a camera down my throat can't remember what it was called, but I was too scared they barely had the camera in my mouth telling me to swallow when I jumped out of the chair and didn't go through with it. 
    • Posted

Anyone waiting for an endoscopy should not read this...........

I did once have one with great difficulty as I practically gag when cleaning my teeth. Later an uncle who had angina went for one and suffered cardiac arrest during it and could not be revived.

Some years later I was advised that I needed another one. I thought about it and went to see the doctor at the practice who had diagnosed my BPH and voiced concern citing what happened to my uncle. The doctor said that one of the partners at the practice had also suffered cardiac arrest and died during his. Would you have one I asked. He said that  he wouldn't and asked a student with him if she would have one. No fear she replied.

I expect that the family of Joan Rivers wish that she had not had one either. Now when needed I have a barium swallow X-Ray instead.

In 2013 I had a colonoscopy. I was watching it on the screen and glanced at the monitor with my vital signs and saw that my BP had dropped to 40/29 and my heart rate to 30bpm. Sudden panic in the room as a nurse noticed and drugs were pumped into me and the doctor quickly finished the procedure.

It was caused by the probe stimulating my vagal nerve. When my BP came up to 123/67 after a few hours I was allowed to go. On exertion I then felt my heart rate increasing and as I previously had atrial fibrillation after heart surgery and knew the signs as I again went into permanent AF resulting in four months of amiodarone and warfarin before having a cardioversion to put me back into sinus rhythm.

Despite having had two laser procedures on my prostate it has started to grow again to 50 grams. Three weeks ago at urology I had a DRE and that also stimulated my vagal nerve. When I got home I checked my BP and it had dropped to quite a low rate from my normal hypertensive state. After a few days I felt that familiar irregular heart rate and went to my doctor who said that this time it was paroxysmal AF and as I had noticed it quickly that a week on a beta blocker should put it back into rhythm. I had an ECG this morning and was back in sinus rhythm.

No procedure is without some danger. 

• Posted

I believe that death during endoscopy is about 1 in 2000.

My wife has had three and lives to tell the tale.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.