Cystoscopy - How Painful?

Posted , 26 users are following.

I'm likely having a cystoscopy and have been reading descriptions from various medical sites saying it isn't too bad. true? What's the truth?

0 likes, 38 replies

38 Replies

Next
  • Posted

It's really not too bad. I was a little freaked out the first time but the uro gave me something to calm my nerves. They squirt some numbing gel down the urethra. There was no pain until he got to the prostate and then it was probably about a 3 (on a scale of 1 to 10) and that lasted less than half a second. You may or may not be embarrassed as the "prep work" is usually done by a female nurse and possibly two.

To go off on a minor tangent, I have always found it interesting regarding a double standard for women versus men. When my wife had a biopsy performed for breast cancer, no men were allowed in the room or even in the area. they were so concerned about protecting the womens privacy. but when it comes to a mans genitals, they give no consideration.

Back to the topic at hand, the procedure really is no big deal. At least it wasn't for me. having said that I would suggest you ask for a small dose of valium or something to calm your nerves and I would only have the procedure if the uro can justify the need. Even though the procedure is relatively minor there is always risks of infection or damage.

• Posted

Since I'm gay, I don't care about the gender of the staff. I am always a little put off when they fail to introduce themselves or think I remember their name from last time. Since we are discussing my penis and all...

• Posted

I've had three in recent times and had no problem or pain with them during it or later. Just lay back and relax while watching it on the screen and ask questions.

• Posted

Speaking for myself, it all depends on your Dr.

First time around it was done in the office. They claim they put a local

on the top of my peepee, but I didn't feel ANY numbing what so ever.

The scope he used was about as big around as a pencil and 18" long.

He put about 6" in without any kind of warning. For me, it was the most painful

thing I have experienced .When he said he was going into the bladder and it MAY hurt a bit, I about stopped breathing. (the wife was totally shocked also)

It hurt just as bad when he took it out. Told me that some bleeding was to

be expected......and I did for about 3 days.....

2nd time around, it was done (by a different Dr.) in the hospital.

There was "discomfort", but on a pain scale about a 4. Stung pretty bad when peeing and the bleeding lasted about 3 days again.

A few months later, I had the urolift procedure done. No catheter was put in.

I tried all day to pee.....with no results. 12 hours later I was in the ER for a catheter.

That was done by a really good nurses assistant. He was as gentle as he could be, but he said it was going to hurt. And he was right...and I dumped out about 1500 cc of pee and blood in about 10 seconds. And I was ok for about 6 months and it went right back to the way it was before......next step was Green light laser in February of 2019. Almost a year has gone by and it's getting bad again....

I wish you better luck than I have had.

• Posted

Piece of cake, I had my last one done by a trainee, and she still didnt hurt me even tho it was her first time.

I have had 2 others over the years, and very little discomfort, and never any blood afterward.

just relax and it will be over before you know it.

good luck

• Posted

Keith,

Be sure to ask him if you can watch it on a monitor, that somehow makes it easier. Also ask if they can make a CD and give it to you after. If there is any thing special you want to know ask him to look for it before he starts. You might want him to look for and show you on the monitor:

1. Enlarged median lobe, and how large,.
    2. Trabeculation of the bladder.
    3. Diverticulosis of the bladder
    4. Strictures in the urethra
    5. Bladder stones

Too many doctors do the procedure then walk away and never say anything about what they saw, then when you go to the next doctor you don't know your condition, and don't have much to base decisions on.

If you have bleeding from the procedure ask the doctor about antibiotics. Beware if it is near a weekend when medical offices are closed and you may have a problem getting antibiotics, except from an Urgent Care, or Hospital Emergency room.

Best Wishes,

Thomas

• Posted

Keith,

The pain is minimal - however, I took two Tylenol capsules before, and this helped. Didn't feel much. However, I did get an infection a few days later and that was a problem. Also, there was some bleeding for a few days in addition to the UTI. Had to take antibiotics - took Cipro. Big mistake. Got a reaction and it took me a year and a half to recover. The actual cystoscopy was fast and easy. So, the scope is not totally benign. Many here have had this done multiple times with no issues. The uro numbs you with lidocane and gives you plenty of lubrication.

Tom

• Posted

Suggestion: make sure the lidocaine pain killer is administered well. I have had two cystoscopies -- one around age 45 and the other at 70. Different uros each time. Both events were, unfortunately, extraordinarily painful. 8 on the 10 scale. So much so that I have told my uro never again unless under general anesthesia. The 2nd procedure, I too had two young women doing the prep. It would seem they may have been shy over REALLY administering the lido -- having to mutually handle the male member as they did. Indeed, I don't remember them doing it at all (and didn't know it -- lidocaine -- was critical at the time.) From the reading here and elsewhere, I sense that my experience is NOT typical. But I do feel as if I may an extraordinarily narrow and sensitive urethra. Either that, or incompetent staffing for both procedures.Good luck to you.

• Posted

I must add that -- now at age 73 -- I am resigned to foregoing any invasive correction of my BPH. I'd rather watch my fluid intake and tolerate the multiple pee breaks at night. It is a part of my life that I accept over the alternatives. I do take daily alfuzosin which helps. Am hoping for the miracle pill that shrinks the prostate permanently. (My best buddy in life -- college chum from the 60s -- is my age and has NO BPH whatsoever. He has no idea how good life is in his "condition".

• Posted

Sounds like they used the old rigid scope on you! I had that type in 1963 with general anesthesia. Not painful afterwards apart from the head of my penis that really stung and was raw for a over a week from something they must have used on it.

• Posted

Yes, others have speculated on this before -- the vintage of the tube. But the year (the 2nd time) was 2018. The contraption -- one end to the other -- seemed a foot-and-a-half long. Some of it rigid, some of it not. I do remember it being black/gray and Darth Vaderish. (Maybe pink next time???) My reaction/sensation of pain was so intense half-way through (or I assume half way through) that the doc had to pull out and abort the mission. He was quite surprised at my experience, and while I assumed he didn 't get the info he needed, he said afterwards "Well, there is no bladder cancer." And that was the end of it. (I had hoped to learn about my damn prostate and why I was peeing 5 times in the night. But I guess that must remain a mystery. DRE and PSA @2.7 are all consistent, he says, with a 40-year old. Ha!)

P.S. to the gent who started this thread, remember: my situation is apparently NOT typical -- so maybe just focus on getting all the lidocaine you are supposed to have -- and, they say, wait 5 mins for it to take effect -- which was the original focus of my input. Good luck.

• Posted

My experience of Cystoscopy procedure is slight discomfort for a short while, I have had 7 procedures now and have had no problems with infections, just drink plenty of water afterwards.

On my first procedure, they did find a tiny Bladder cancer, which has been removed, I am still clear after three years, this is being monitored on a yearly basis.

• Posted

Keith,

I had one prior to my Rezum procedure. The key is to relax when they inject the numbing fluid into the urethra. The natural reaction is to flex your butt cheeks. Think about breathing and relaxing your toes and things will go much easier. It's not painful, just a weird feeling. Ask to watch to monitor so that you can see what they are seeing.

Jeff

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.