Cystoscopy - How Painful?

Posted , 26 users are following.

I'm likely having a cystoscopy and have been reading descriptions from various medical sites saying it isn't too bad. true? What's the truth?

0 likes, 38 replies

38 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

It hurt a bit when he passed the scope through my 125 gr prostate. Other than that not bad. Over in 5 minutes. If I could have had the procedure recorded I would have. My uro's equipment was antiquated only had a small black and with monitor for the patient to watch and it didn't work.

• Posted

like most other replies i have had several, its virtually pain free and whoever is doing it will let you see what is on the screen and explain what they see. The only drawback is that infections afterwards are common but are easily dealt with by antibiotics, its worth it to find out what is going on which more often than not is benign enlarged prostate

• Posted

Not sure if you are prone to infections but I got a really bad infection after having mine done. I would highly recommend going on an antibiotic prophylactically on the day of the procedure and continuing it for at least 5 days afterwards.

• Posted

I am always given a Cipro just before the procedure and take nothing afterwards. Never had a problem.

• Posted

Lee,

Cipro damage is cumulative. I had it several times then when I had it again in Feb, 2017, I got a reaction. Here is what happened to me: my exercise was off by 15-20% - felt weak. My heart rate was 10-20% above normal when exercising or just walking around. My blood pressure was up 20pts - both systolic and diastolic for at least 6 months. My blood sugar went up. It took about a year and a half to recover and now my BP and fasting glucose are down, and my exercise has completely recovered. I will never take Cipro again.

Tom

• Posted

After treatment for bladder cancer 2 years ago, the protocol is a cystoscopy every 3 months for 2 years. I have had 7 so far and not a single one has been painful. You feel just a little pressure and it may be slightly uncomfortable but it only takes about a minute so it's done before you know it. Mine has always been done by the doctor without a nurse in the room. I took anything beforehand. It's really no big deal. And now I can say I'm an expert at having things stuck up my wiener! (The bladder cancer treatment was 6 weekly instillations of the immuotherapy drug into my bladder. These were done by a female NP and one time I let a female nurse trainee observe. It was no big deal.)

• Posted

I think it varies depending on the condition one is in......make sure you are getting a urologist who is using a flex cystoscope and not a rigid.......rigid is used for biopsies and flex just for examination........If you have had radiation of the pelvic area a cystoscopy may result in some pain.....not during but after ......I had previous HDR Brachytherapy to the prostate and bled for about 3 days following rigid cystoscopy exam and was in some pain and discomfort for 3 weeks....if your urologist does a number of procedures each year and uses a flex scope I am believe you will do fine

• Posted

The first one I had they used lidocaine to numb things up a bit and it was uncomfortable but not unbearable. It did sting when I went pee for about 3 days after.The last two I had they didn't use any thing to numb it up, I guess that it the current trend. They hurt a bit when it passes through the prostate but its not horrible. It usually hurts to pee after for at least a day.

• Posted

the one i had hurt like hell !

ill never have another !

id rather die

• Posted

Kenneth,

I had two 12 core biopsies for prostate cancer and 1 cystoscope. The biopsies were worse, but I took 1 Tylenol before the first biopsy, and two before the second. I also took two Tylenol capsules before the cystoscope. If I absolutely had to have this done again I would take three or four Tylenol capsules before. It really does dull any pain. You can't just go in with no pain med - some do fine, but I wouldn't take the chance since my urethra is very sensitive.

Tom

• Posted

Having a scope shoved up your penis is where size does matter. Before my operation I saw 5 different urologists and found that the old guys that have been in the business the longest have the old fat scope, they purchased it when first in practice and it works so they see no reason to replace it. The younger doctors have been in practice much shorter time and are more likely to have the new smaller diameter scope. Believe me it is way better, less bleeding and less pain. If the doctor pulls out a scope that looks to be larger in diameter than a standard pencil and has arrowhead marks on it from coming over in a covered wagon, run for your life.

• Posted

For me it was the single worst pain of my life. I had it done a few years ago without any medications and it was done in the office to investigate microscopic blood in my urine. The reason it was so painful was because: (1) I had prostatitis and the scope passed through the prostate to get to the bladder and it irritated it and (2) the younger you are the more sensitive your nerves in there are (I was 26 when the procedure was done). Talking with my next urologists they both said that it was inappropriate of my first urologist, given my age and prostatitis, to have the procedure in the office without anesthesia. -- It honestly felt like torture and I was screaming at the top of my lungs during the 2 minute procedure. Blood then started flowing out of my penis (but subsided shortly after) and it hurt like hell to pee for a few days. It also just ached like hell. I was out of work for 2 days from the procedure. I could not have sex for several days.

• Posted

Identical to my own first experience. The doc at the time said of my screams: You're being a sissy! Long time ago but I wish I had filed a claim. He acted as an uncaring butcher.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.