Cystoscopy worry

Posted , 8 users are following.

I have to have a cystoscopy on Thursday . I have prostatitis and have had different tests that have been good but they want to be safe and do a cystoscopy . I have got chronic non bacterial prostatitis which I've had on and off since March and they pain in pubic area is horrible . So need to have it done to rule out anything else but am so s are of the cystoscopy . Has anyone had one

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

Yes, I have prostatitis also but bacteria prostatitis. Had the Cysto done and it really sucked. It hurt but manageable. I have had three urine and prostate fluid culters all neg... The bacteria was found on a semen culter and a urine DNA sequence test. The Cysto found nothing and the antibiotics are working but slowly. Through much research and first had experience, prostatitis is almost always bacteria caused, finding it is the challenge and the standard growth cultures are not sensitive enough. New next generation sequencing is finding bacteria not found before. Good luck!
    • Posted

Can you tell me who did the bacterial testing. I've had chronic prostatitis for 3 years. I've been on antibiotics longer than I've been off. All the tests I've had come back negative. What antibiotics helped you? Thanks for your time. Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Ray,

I've had several. Most were OK - the first was one of the best. I think how well it goes depends quite a lot on the experience of the urologist. One I had, it was probably his first time - I should have guessed, when they had two nurses on hand, and were needed to hold me down. But all the others have been OK - just a jolt as the tube goes through the prostate channel.

If they are to do a rigid cystoscopy, then you'd be under a general anaesthetic anyway.

• Posted

I've had several and there is nothing to worry about. It is over in ten minutes and you can watch it on the screen and be sure to ask questions about what you see on the screen and not leave with doubts. A drop of gel into your penis to deaden it and in goes the very thin scope. Should be no bleeding or pain later unlike in days gone by when it was a big rigid device like a walking stick!

• Posted

Does the gel work well then as I'm getting really nervous now and when u go home after did u suffer with peeing

• Posted

The gel worked and I had no problems peeing. No need to be nervous just relax and watch the screen and ask questions on what he is seeing.
    • Posted

Glad to hear the gel worked . I will do my best lol. Did it stop you feeling the scope going in ?
    • Posted

Hi Derek well I had it done . Mine was a very uncomfortable experience but he explained it's because the prostate was inflamed and there was red inflammation in the bladder. He prescribed ciproflaxin and said I have to have another cystoscopy on five weeks to see if it's any better in bladder. As otherwise he will have to change treatment as it could be another thing which he did tell me this long named thing but I can't remember

• Posted

I didn't get infection until after after my Cystoscopy.

• Posted

I've had 2 done in the office and they were uncomfortable.  Had a 3rd one today at a surgical center with propofol.  If your insurance will cover it, that's the way you should go.  The worst part is the pain when peeing for the first few times after the procedure.  Ask your doctor to give you a few days worth of phenazopyridine (200mg) which should help a bit with the pain when urinating.  It will turn your urine a bright orange.

I also find peeing in the shower with hot water running on your penis helps distract from the pain the first 2-3 times you go.  Things should get better as the day goes on.

Good luck.

• Posted

What is proposal . Is that the sedation
  • Posted

Propofol is a great twilight sedative used with many procedures.  It does require an anesthesiologist during the procedure to monitor airway and vitals.  It's a nice sleep with no nausea afterwards. As with versed, you likely won't remember any of the procedure.  Some anesthesiologists call propofol "milk of amnesia". 

• Posted

Are you in America? You don't usually get sedation in the UK.

• Posted

Yes...east coast near NY city.  I had sedation for the cystoscopy and my prostate biopsy.  No desire to be awake for either of those procedures.

• Posted

I had a prostate biopsy without even a local as the Aussie b+++h Uro in Scotland had taken offence at a letter I had written to the Health Minister who was my MP with the knowledge of her predecessor about the  withdrawal of funding to the hospital for Free PSA testing.

She didn't give me an antibiotic and she said I don't do that.  I asked about a local and she said I don't do that either.... You can write to your MP about it. 

As each of the sixteen needles went in I looked at her and said b****r. I'm not sure who won in the end but as I was about to leave the hospital I began to hemorrhage from my rectum and had to be kept in overnight which could not have done her reputation any good. During the night another Uro was going round the ward and asked why I was there. After telling him he said in Norway they call prostate biopsies PSA terrorism. 

She was hopeless as the patient before me had a vasectomy that took her forty minutes and she twice had to phone someone for advice.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.