D DAY

Posted , 12 users are following.

So today is going to be the challenge day for me. Saturday is the night I always binge drink at home. It wil be the first Saturday night in many years besides been pregnant or too ill or away at the inlaws that I haven't drank. I also binge on a Sunday as the craving to do it again is strong. I don't work Mondays so that hasn't helped the situation. 

I have been feeling positive about it all week that I can do it & trying to look forward to spending the time with my husband after we put our son t bed watch a film order food & remember it all the next day. I always fall asleep as I am wasted & can't remember what the food tasted like or how the film ended. I wake on the couch in the early morning & make my way to bed. Last week I thoought I could try drink a little less but I tried to get as much down me before my husband came downstairs so I would feel I had enough to get intoxicated. 

I have to not drink tonight. There is no vodka in the house so I would have to actually go buy it. I have to stay strong & see what it feels like to have a sober Saturday. Yesterday set me back when my friends came to visit I just felt so anxious. I think I just need a quiet life with my family for the next few weeks maybe a month to get to a better state of mind with this. 

This forum has helped me so much. I really feel I would not have even gotten to this stage without the support from you lovely people. You understand & pass no judgement. When I feel panickiy I can come on here & vent. Thank you!! I'm hoping in the future I can be more supportive to others too.

Big hugs xxx

3 likes, 86 replies

86 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Yeah I think I'll write out my typical week & even give it to the doc & explain I find it hard to communicate it due to nerves & anxiety. I was going to say the thought of not getting the prescription was another excuse to drink as to be honest that is how I felt today. xx

• Posted

so Sadie whats your plan now? I've got it right haven't I, you've not got a script. Will you buy online, find a private dr, or back to ARCs again?

• Posted

Yes I can understand you wanting a drink after the disappointment of not getting a prescription. I would have felt exactly the same. In my case I'd have had one and ended most probably having a 3/4 day binge. Being turned down, would have been a perfect excuse.

You didn't drink though did you? You were able to fight the craving and have added another day alcohol free. I know you probably felt cxxp, but g

• Posted

/continued

hey you did it. One of the strategies I was taught was to have two columns, sayIng advantages and disadvantages . It's a bit school like, but when you've done it, look at it daily and remind yourself.

Is there any reason why, say for a month dont drink,during the week, but just drink Saturday night?

• Posted

Hi Sadie. This is the aspect of TSM that GP'S can't seem to understand that you must drink with the Selincro. But from what TSM ppl are saying is that you will feel different drinking with Selincro.

It seems to me from what you are saying that every minute is a battle for you at the mo. Why wait for the doc to come back to you? Private message joannaC3europe she has details of a reputable online uk pharmacy. Of course still continue to see your doc, but I believe you need help now hon xx

• Posted

No I didn't drink yesterday. I thought about going out & buying some but once it got to 6pm I decided against it. 

I am considering that until I get the prescription to only drink on Saturday but it would probably mean doing some of it in secret as my husband would straight away worry. I'm going to find it hard again this weekend not having a drop like there is nothing to look forward to again!! I was considering telling my husband I might have a couple of glasses of wine & thats it on Saturday just to see how I feel doing that but I will probably sneak a couple of drinks beforehand because it won't be enough.

I would usually drink Sunday again but I would not do it this week I proved last weekend I got through the whole weekend. I can then tell the doc on Monday I drank on Saturday so I don't trust myself I need the prescription. If I go back saying I made it another weekend I think she will less likely prescribe them.

It helps me to keep sane thinking I could have a few drinks on Saturday - it's what helps keep me sober during the week I even don't crave it during the week knowing I will have it on Saturday. It was the Sunday I was finding it hard to cut out . 

So advantages of drinking & advatatges of not drinking?

xxx

• Posted

I am struggling to be honest not being able to look forward to my Saturday night drinking. I can abstain all week one I know I can have that. I used to a few years ago drink mybe 4 nights a week - I got it down to 2.

I have spoken to Joanna & I have checked out the UK Pharmacy myself filled out all the information & just at the end spotted they do not deliver to Ireland. They say it is illiegal for me to try & get them to deliver here. I have checked out other places I think one is in the States & they may deliver to Ireland but the price is so high. $95 for 10 pills excluding post.

I would love to have the pills so I could start with them this Saturday. I just want to start the process- its very frustrating !!

xxx

• Posted

I am going back to the same doctor on Monday coming to see what her decision is on providing me with a prescription but I'm not banking on it. In the meantime I have asked my husband to book an appointment with a Polish clinic to see if they will prescribe.

I would buy online straightaway if I knew a reputuable place that would deliver here.

If the first 2 fail I will keep trying. One way or the other I need to get the medication. xx 

• Posted

It's all down to very strict customs regulations.  The same is true in Holland, Italy, Canada and a few other countries around the world. The chances are very high that the package would be checked and held, then destroyed, by customs - hence no tablets and no chance of a refund from a pharmacy because all orders are subject to potential customs regulations.

The only way to do this to Ireland, is to use an address for delivery in either Northern Ireland or England or Scotland etc and then have then sent on that way.

I know of no reputable online pharmacy that will send to Ireland, period. 

• Posted

So if I had them delivered to an address in England they could be then sent onto me with no problems?

• Posted

I've certainly known people do that, yes.  They told me that they have repacked them up in a plain envelope and hand-written the address details etc to make it look like personal mail.

I don't know if it would be 100% successful but England to Ireland doesn't seem to be so heavily regulated.

If you should try it, then remember that it might still be subject to random customs checks but the chances of it being pulled out seem to be lower if it is from England to Ireland, rather than India to Ireland. 

I would wait to see what your doctor says this next appointment though.  If all goes well, then you won't even have the need to risk anything in terms of non-delivery.

• Posted

Thanks Joanna,

I certainly will wait to see if the doc prescribes on Monday if not I think I will tell her that I plan on having them to sent to me to show her how much  I want to start this treatment so she knows one way or the other I am doing this

• Posted

Keep going Sadie! Its a struggle but you will get there. I did not have a first good experience with the tablet. Basically I realise I did not approach it properly. I didn't make sure I had a meal beforehand and didn't click that I needed to wait a full 2 hours....I had an hour in my head. Then although I planned to I didn't have the mindful drinking focus. I would have but a 'friend'came in.....I haven't seen her for ages and avoid being with her where drink is concerned. She just sat there with an empty glass and as usual I caved in and bought her a drink (she is always broke). This then turned into us sharing a bottle.....I'd already had 2 large glasses. I felt awful afterwards and it affected my stomach. Needless to say I am feeling a bit ropey today and so fed up with myself! Ah well it was only the first try so I will bear in mind the pitfalls and hope next time the endorphins kick in with me playing my part re the mindfulness etc.

I am sharing this experience with you because it just emphasises that it is not a magic pill and needs us to do our part. So even when you have the pill it is a journey. Hopefully when I update you again I'll have had better success. Hugs x

• Posted

Dear  Joanna, Feeling discouraged as just reread you experience and it seems that's from tablet one you reaped the benefit she of Naltrexone.

I did not have a first good experience with the tablet. Basically I realise I did not approach it properly. I didn't make sure I had a meal beforehand and didn't click that I needed to wait a full 2 hours....I had an hour in my head. Then although I planned to I didn't have the mindful drinking focus. I would have but a 'friend'came in.....I haven't seen her for ages and avoid being with her where drink is concerned. She just sat there with an empty glass and as usual I caved in and bought her a drink (she is always broke). This then turned into us sharing a bottle.....I'd already had 2 large glasses. I felt awful afterwards and it affected my stomach. Needless to say I am feeling a bit ropey today and so fed up with myself! Ah well it was only the first try so I will bear in mind the pitfalls and hope next time the endorphins kick in with me playing my part re the mindfulness etc.

Ok so the next tablet I'll be more prepared....hope this makes the difference.

• Posted

You may well have been more mindful if you had been on your own, Sharon.

Being mindful is a tough new thing to learn, it takes a while to get into the swing of it.  And when you think about it, even normal drinkers lose control every now and then, even when they promised themselves they'd only have a couple.

Everyone reacts differently to the tablet.  Some people respond quickly, others fairly quickly, and yet others take longer.  No-one can predict how things might go for you - so just be compliant, have patience and realise that this is not a magic tablet and can take months to finally be rid of cravings.  During those months, there may be some ups and downs.

In addiction, with Selincro it is 2 hours (naltrexone is 1 hour) so it could be that the medication hadn't quite become fully effective yet.  Coupled with your friend appearing, if your receptors weren't 100% blocked, then some endorphins could still have got through, too.

Chalk it down to expience, eat and drink lots of water, then next time it should be much better.

• Posted

Thanks I will bear all of this in mind. Reading all of your exeros all over again to get my mindset in the right place. I have Naltrexone so the hour should have been enough. Ah well onwards and upwards.
    • Posted

Sorry to hear that your first experience wasn't what you would off hoped it would be. It was the first though & from what I have been reading it does take time. As of yet I haven't tried it so I can't tell what it will be like. I am plan to do it at home the first few times so I can concentrate on the experience. I am thinking as it took time to build up the addiction it will take to for it to switch back. I am very curious as to what it will feel like to not have the endorphins kick in.

Also a question as I love to eat a few hours after drinking. My usual ritual of binge drinking on a Saturday & then ordering food will I enjoy the food or will  the medication block that pleasure also? 

• Posted

According to research it should only block alcohol if we use it only when we drink. They do advise eating BEFORE drinking though so it may be a while before routines re establish themselves and the pleasure we get etc. Will update as I go along.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.