Da Vinci for Turp??

Posted , 14 users are following.

I just had a cystocopy and it seems like I am headed for a TURP.

My local urologist seems quite competent but I am wondering if I would do better with a large medical center perhaps equipped with robotic surgery like Da Vinci.

Advice will be greatly appreciated.

0 likes, 94 replies

94 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I think many TURP's are done by Senior Registrars and it is a very straight forward procedure. When it comes to removing the Prostate then this would normally be done by Consultant Uroligists and from what I can read that is when some use the Da Vinci procedure.
  • Posted

Read thru this forum and consider some of the less invasive options like PAE and Urolift. Turp should be a last resort,

• Posted

Da Vinci will cut down on your recovery time by a lot - the difference between something like 3 weeks on a cath vs 3 days. I also agree its a last resort - its the most invasive option, can cuase impotence and other issues. I'd suggest looking into TUNA and the green laser before you jump into a surgery like this if you can.
  • Posted

Thanks very much for your advice.

I'll tell you more about my situation and hope you can guide me.

I'm 73 and in excellent health, except that I get up to pee at night, sometimes 10 or more times per night.  Sometimes I take my time and try to empty my bladder as much as possible but as soon as  I go back to bed within 5 minutes I have to pee again.  

The loss of sleep is affecting me.    

My urologist did the cystoscopy yesterday and said I have a sclerotic bladder neck. 

I live in Buenos Aires.  So far the drs have been really good for me.  But they dont have hi tech tools like Da Vincis so if I want to go that route I'd have to go back to Miami or Chicago and pay for the procedure. Here its covered by our insurance.

• Posted

JJ like the other men on here NO TURP.  There are so many others procedures that would help you.  Look into a uroife or a PAE that would help you pee.  I had a urolift done a year ago and all is great.  Please for you own safety do not do it.  They do cause alot of bleeding and the down time is not a walk in the parl.  Do not let them talk you into it PLEASE  Ken
  • Posted

Strongly suggest that you research the PAE procedure. DO NOT do a TURP. OMG. I have had both procedures done. The TURP was like medieval torture and did not work for me. It does work for some and it can have retrograde ejaculation as a side effect. That means ejaculation into your bladder for the rest of your life if you end up with that side effect. Other possible side effects as well.

The PAE was like a miracle for me. No side effects, no pain, no catheter in and out, no pee bag, no flushing gallons through you the first night. No blood.

Two tiny stiches on your inner thigh. Nothing too it. Just have to take it easy for 2 weeks so you don't rip the stiches out.

Urologist don't do the PAE. Many don't even know about it yet.

Vascular surgeons do it.  Read all of this blog. Do your research.  Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Bill.

I have had a Turp done about 6 weeks ago. Having some problems but not desperate yet. Firstly, what does PAE stand for?

Secondly, you said you had both done a Turp and a PAE. Is that possible, well it must be, and does the PAE counteract the Turp and the side effects such as retrograde ejaculation?

I would very much appreciate your honest opinion. Thanks. Bob.

• Posted

Hi I'm not Bill.  But PAE stands for Prostate Artery Embolization.  It will not cause retro.  You can have many procedures done if one does not woork.  The Turp may not work and then the doctor may want to do something else.  Alot of doctors talk patients into the turp because it is the gold stander been like that for many years but there was nothing else.  I'm 60 and I had a urolife worked great.  There would be no way I would have my prostate cored out by a sharp blade.  I hope you heal good because you may have some other problems in store.  Ken
    • Posted

Thanks Ken. I am peeing better but still not peeing as i should, i have retrograde ejaculation and i have to wear adult nappies all the time because i leak a bit almost with every movement. I feel a bit sickie as well.

Is it possible for me to have a PAE and will it solve my side effects?

Cheers.  Bob.

• Posted

Bob Yes I think it is possible for you to have it done.  Just wait and see.  It may take up to 2 month's for the Turp to work.  Why did you even have it done.  Did the doctor give you any other options What your having are many of the side effects  because they destroy the inside of the prostate and the bladder muscle.  I wish they would stop doing that to men Because it is never the same.   Ken    
  • Posted

I heartily agree with others: avoid TURP at all costs, unless you have a very, very enlarged prostate. Then consider PAE and if not terribly large and no significant middle lobe, consider Urolift. I recently underwent Urolift and am now peeing as I did when I was a young man in my 20s...now 73. Obviously I am very pleased with the Urolift.
  • Edited

I cannot stress too much what others have already said: NO, NO, NO, A THOUSAND TIMES NO! TO TURP, unless it is you last resort!  I am 66; in Aug of 2014, my urologist told me I needed a TURP and said he would do it.  I politely declined, and said I would keep looking.  I peed through single-use catheters for a year, then found out about UROLIFT.  Three months later I flew to Salt Lake CIty from Pennsylvania where I live, to have the most experienced US doctor do it.  In and out procedure at the doctor's clnic, local anesthesia.  I flew home two days later, and the following day I spent stacking firewood.  Peed like a champ!  I had not heard of PAE, but many guys in this forum have had good experiences with it.  

I have flown a couple of times from NYC to Asucion (Paraguay); yes it is a long trip, but to avoid the TURP, those would be hours well-spent!  :-)

• Posted

Can you please share the Doctors name in Salt Lake City who did your Urolift procedure.  I have a very large prostate, have been catherized for almost two years cause I do not want to do the Turp or DaVinci procedures. Urolift sounds great. 
    • Posted

Dr. Steven Gange, MD  Summit Urology Group 

4252 Highland Dr #200, Salt Lake City, UT 84124

(801) 993-1800

Caveats:  Prostate size matters, they say!  40-80 grams.  And there must be no "medial lobe."  I found the whole group to be responsive, responsible, very easy to work with.  Tell them the cartoonist in Pennsylvania sent you!    :-D

• Posted

So did I, according to the radiologist.  According to my "home urologist," no, I didn't.  Dr. Steve said, "I trust urologists over radiologists, if there's a difference of opinion."  I was able to have the Urolift.  Maybe you want to get a second opinion?  :-)
    • Posted

WOW, and OUCH!  Sorry to read, on all accounts!   And now, seven years down the pike, what is the condition of your condition?
    • Posted

Not good on all accounts. My problem started off with unprotected sex. Pain at the end of the penis. After a session with with antibiotics all seemed well. Then bladder stones were causing me problems, infection went down into my prostrate and I saw all kinds of urologists who offered me no solutions at all. Finally my dad recommended I see a doctor who he had went to and he suggested the TURP. I thought that this would solve the pain that I was having in the perrenium, but it turned out that it just made me pee better. After all these years I still have the discomfort issues I had back then. Doctors refuse to look for prostatitis and none have helped me. There is one Dr. my friend suggested I see who sent me for an MRI and found chronic prostatitis in perepheral zone. Still my dr. up north led me blindly into a TURP thinking that this would open up the urethra  more so that I could have a normal flow again. He told me that I had no prostatitis, when in fact I did. I did have though a bladder that was retaining half my urine and ultimately it was in this state for quite a few years which resulted in 6 bladder calculi being lodged in my bladder.( Dr. also stated that there was a prominent middle lobe during the TURP) also 4 kidney stones and a 60 gram prostate that was closing up my urethra. BUT down the line I still have the Prostatitis which is making my life miserable. My question is Did I need the TURP or could this have all been taken care of another way. My good friend on here advised me to a very good Dr. and has told me that because of all the problems and the median lobe that a TURP was inevitable. Still I am wondering. Back in 2009 there were no urolifts or PAE's. Still I was in such discomfort that I wanted something done.   

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.