Daily headaches or migraines

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hello All,

I'm new to this forum and discovered it trying to research why I'm having DAILY headaches and/or migraines. It started on November 1, 2018 with a severe migraine that had me in tears for about 5 days and since then I will either have a severe headache, a migraine or at the very least a dull throb. Time spans without any pain at all are very rare and don't last very long.

Notes:

*I turned 47 in October

*Advil/Alieve/Excedrin usually do not help at all

*RX of a Triptan for migraines did not help at all

*Acetaminophen + Codeine will take the edge off, but not completely (also, do not want to use too often due to all the news coverage of addiction issues)

*CT scan for tumor or brain bleeds came back normal

*Due to bloodwork results Dr prescribed a thyroid medication. Most recent bloodwork came back with normal thyroid results, am to continue the medication for the time being

My question is... if you have experienced headaches and migraines as a symptom of menopause, did you find a remedy to reduce or minimize this symptom?

I am so frustrated and am starting to feel like a shell of the person I was. I haven't been to pilates once since this started and have missed multiple of my daughter's orchestra and theater performances, missed book club and volunteer events. Also, I feel like my house is turning into an unorganized mess as I find just doing the bare minimum overwhelming and taxing.

Please help!

Lisa

2 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Lisa, welcome! Do you have any other symptoms besides headaches..you are probably right at the perfect age for perimenopause and maybe even been experiencing symptoms for a while just never put it together with hormones.. How long have you been having the migraines do other symptoms go along with the migraines? I know for me I get so many weird scary symptoms leading right up to the actual migraine, which is dizziness, numbness, wavy vision, eyes pulling pressure all over, walking sideways off balance feeling, all that and then the 3 day long migraine, that feels like an ice pick in the side of my temple or behind my eye, then the really bad nausea like I will throw up, and the cold chills, the really bad migraine that hits usually lasts about an hour where I can't stand it, then it eases up into a headache for another few days.. Never before did I have migraines, ive been going through all these bad symptoms since I was 43, and hit me hard at 45 and from 45 to 47 unbearable, rollercoaster symptoms every single day month after month.. Now I just turned 48 last week and I either just can deal with it better or its easing up somewhat, but all still here with me, I just push on through day by day...

• Posted

Gypsy,

I've definitely been having other peri symptoms, but didn't want to cloud my post with all the non-migraine related symptoms. It started a few years ago with anxiety/panic attacks that would come out of nowhere, even in non-stress moments (and you're right, in the beginning I had no idea it was related to peri) continued with sleep issues/insomnia, night sweats, hot flashes (though I haven't had an episode in about 4 months or so), mood swings, depression, tingling/numb hands and feet, sudden heart palpitations, foggy brain, memory problems and probably others I'm not remembering at the moment. I tell you, getting old is not for sissies!

Headache related symptoms: It starts at the bridge of my nose and into my eyes then goes completely over my head to the base of my neck. I told my husband, It's like wearing a Pain Helmet. I have noticed my vision has gotten drastically worse since the headaches started, and the amount of floaters I see is just crazy. At one point I was worried I had IIH (idiopathic inter-cranial hypertension) but an OptiMap shows no pressure on the optic nerve, which is very reassuring.

• Posted

Sorry, I don't know what happened to the formatting of this post. Is there any way to edit or delete a post?

• Posted

Hi Lisa. I don't know either what is going on with these posts either, I can't seem to read several others as well, someone said fonts are different which is true but then it just cuts off.. I just tried to write to another member on here that I can't read hers either.. I'm not sure if you can delete a post either, I don't think so, but I can't read what you just wrote me it is cut short...

• Posted

Gosh Lisa! You and I have very similar symptoms! What a rodeo this has been!!!

• Posted

I think the headaches have been the worst part of menopause for me! And nothing really seems to help relieve mine either....I try to exercise everyday and drink tons of water. I would take my periods back to have this go away. Hang in there!!!

• Posted

I am so glad I read this. I AGREE I would take back my period to get rid of the daily headaches

• Posted

I am sorry you are going thru this. I had daily headches from april thru july. They were not migraines but would show up at some point during the day. I had the scans and thank God they came back normal! I asked my dr to check my vitamin d level and i was severely deficient. After Taking the supplements i am no longer having the headaches.

• Posted

My doctor did advise taking Vitamin D also, but I haven't noticed that it has helped. I will continue taking it. How long after you started taking it did you notice improvements with your headaches?

• Posted

I am sorry you are going thru this. I had daily headches from april thru july. They were not migraines but would show up at some point during the day. I had the scans and thank God they came back normal! I asked my dr to check my vitamin d level and i was severely deficient. After Taking the supplements i am no longer having the headaches.

• Posted

hi lisa me too 4 months ago i started having migraines headaches, at the beginning i was not sure what is it ,i had ct scan for head and brain a d the result were normal so my doctor said it is migraines ,and i usually get them before or around my period , so i did some researches and found out drinking coffee around the time u get the headaches it prevents it from happening which is working for me i get small coffee in the morning ,plus applying ice pack in the back of your head when u get the headaches dosnt last long,the last time i had a migraine i did the ice pack and it last only half hour ,i hope it works for u too best luck

• Posted

I have tried ice packs and heating pads and neither seem to diminish the pain or length of headache 😦 I usually have one cup of coffee in the morning, also.

• Posted

here is Lisa's response that only I could read:

Lisa_in_Tx

Lisa_in_Tx

★2

Gypsy014

Posted 45 minutes ago

Gypsy,

I've definitely been having other peri symptoms, but didn't want to cloud my post with all the non-migraine related symptoms. It started a few years ago with anxiety/panic attacks that would come out of nowhere, even in non-stress moments (and you're right, in the beginning I had no idea it was related to peri) continued with sleep issues/insomnia, night sweats, hot flashes (though I haven't had an episode in about 4 months or so), mood swings, depression, tingling/numb hands and feet, sudden heart palpitations, foggy brain, memory problems and probably others I'm not remembering at the moment. I tell you, getting old is not for sissies!

Headache related symptoms: It starts at the bridge of my nose and into my eyes then goes completely over my head to the base of my neck. I told my husband, It's like wearing a Pain Helmet. I have noticed my vision has gotten drastically worse since the headaches started, and the amount of floaters I see is just crazy. At one point I was worried I had IIH (idiopathic inter-cranial hypertension) but an OptiMap shows no pressure on the optic nerve, which is very reassuring.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.