Damage to Optic Nerve

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi there, a few weeks ago I was having frequent headaches and occassionally feeling lightheaded with floaters. I went to the opticians and they referred me to the opthalmologist who put eye drops in and said that at the back of my left eye the optic nerve was sheeted. (I don't understand what this term means and cannot see anything on the internet to explain either) He just said that I didn't have any other symptoms for Optic Neuritis and wasn't sure but didn't think it was anything sinister. I am now waiting for a scan of the eye to see what that shows.

However, the last couple of weeks I have been getting pins and needles all over my body, mainly in arms and legs. I've also had general aching pains.

I have read online about symptoms and they point to all kinds of things, Fibromyalgia, Anxiety and possibly MS. As you can imagine this has really scared me as I have read that probelms with the optic nerve can also be related.

Has anyone else had these symptoms or are they too few for me to be making assumptions?

0 likes, 43 replies

43 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Lisa, that's awful that you're feeling so bad. It's very important that you get your b12 active serum levels checked. You should ask for an MMA test or to get your blood homocysteine level checked. You should also get your ferritin levels (iron stores) checked and your thyroid. A lot of the these are interelated with each other but if levels in any of them are too low they can cause awful symptoms. My sister also had numbness in her face. We've had a frightening few months but she's finally on the road to recovery. We joined a closed group on Facebook who were just fantastic as a source of information and help. They are called Pernicious Anemia/B12 Deficiency support group. You should look them up. Best of luck at doctors and I'll have my fingers crossed for you xx
    • Posted

Thanks Claire. I will let u know what doctor says tomorrow? I Had MRI few maths ago as kept getting aching pain in right arm. It just showed slight loss of curvature in neck and was only suggested physio. I thought that maybe it was something to do with nerves. The pins and needles have become slightly less now but I'm really not sure my menstrual cycle is of any cause as I am now 45 so I know hormones can change an awful lot. I hope your sister is ok. Will she need wheelchair all the time or is there something they can do to help her improve? sad
  • Posted

Hi Lisa, fortunately she is improving greatly thanks to her daily shots. She is able to walk small distances although she still has pain. She had an MRI that showed nothing but thankfully due to self educating herself and finding a new doctor, she is on the road to recovery. I have also had my bloods tested and although I don't have the results yet due to my doctor being on holidays, she did call to say that I was low in vitamin d (which my youngest sister is deficient in) My own eyes have also being causing problems the past few weeks so I need to get them checked too.
    • Posted

That's thankful that your sisters MRI was clear smile hopefully she will continue to improve. It's scarey really how even lack of vitamins can have a certain effect on our bodies. I know that ppl who have had lack of cut D have been given high doses of it through their GP.

I went to doctors today and having bloods done to test hormone levels. Also the pins and needles and aching pains are all down to my arm, loss of neck curvature apparently. Was told that could be pinching nerves! I am now looking at physio but if doesn't work and persists I will b referred to pain clinic. It's just good to know so I can deal with it. Just hope it doesn't get progressively worse as in only 45 sad I hope u get on ok with it results. Please let me know smile

• Posted

oh you poor thing Lisa. I hope the physio and pain management help you. Did they say what's causing the curvature? Believe it or not, vit d deficiency has been known to cause that too. I hear you with the whole age/pain thing. My sister and I are only a few years younger. It sucks not to be fully healthy. Health really is the wealth. Let me know how things go for you. Best of luck xx

• Posted

It's just general wear and tear Claire but he said prob come about 5 yrs earlier than should be sad I just hope it doesn't get that bad and that hopefully physio helps smile can't bear the thought of having to have regular pain treatment 😳 I have started taking osteocare which has magnesium and Vit D and also be interesting to see where my hormone levels are at as thy could play a part as I have read so many things about diagnoses and they don't always turn out to be what some GP/Consults say rolleyes thanku for listening and your advice. I wish your sister well and hope all improves smile
  • Posted

Aw you're welcome Lisa! Gosh, the joys of getting older 😜 I hope you get it all sorted and under control. Best of luck Lisa x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.