Dangers of taking Zopiclone

Posted , 11 users are following.

Has anyone heard  rerports about Zopiclone being dangerous to health and that it can eventually kill you.  Sounds like scaremongering i know, but  sure its not.  Also, is there any proof of this.

2 likes, 38 replies

38 Replies

Next
  • Posted

hi viven i was on zopiclone for 11 years never did me any harm but off them now as they dont like giving them out why i dont know i was ok x
    • Posted

The side effects of zopiclone are that they cause short term memory loss giving the same symptoms as dementia. When zipiclone is stopped the short term memory restores itself. This is why plus you can become unsteady in your feet if you have to get up in the night for any reason.

Hope it helps even if its only a small way xx

• Posted

hi linda im off them not had zop for 4 months, i never noticed any drifference i was on 7.5 anight , good advice thank you xx
  • Posted

There's said to be an increased cancer risk and many people are worried about dementia. The increased cancer risk studies tend to include benzodiazepines and I haven't seen any research substantiation for the dementia worries.

I've read a five-fold increase for cancer, but if that is 5 in 100,000 rather than 1 in 100,000, many people might still consider it an acceptable risk.

Studies where they have given rats or mice ludicrously high doses I think may fail to worry even one's GP.

People in contact with reality know that one has to consider what one's quality of life is going to be without them and weigh up the likelihood of having other medical problems through lack of sleep.

• Posted

Hi Robert, I am an ex user, I was on it for 30 yrs give me life without it. I have recently come off it and although I went through a hell of a time with withdrawl symptoms I am now out the other side and feel like I have been given a new life. I know I will have an occasional bad day but will get through it I have done the worst.
    • Posted

Hello Angela

25 years is the most I'd believe – Zopiclone wasn't introduced until November 1989. Perhaps you were on a benzodiazepine before it.

I would be pleased and relieved not to need it as I would be with any drug and as I suspect people generally are.

When I took it only occasionally (something which went on for years) the only sort of withdrawal symptom I had was rather greater difficulty than usual getting to sleep the next night I didn't take it. The day(s) after the odd night(s) I manage to go without it now, the only thing I feel is just the pleasantness of not having the drug in my system.

• Posted

Hi Robert, it was a guess not accurate time, as you say I was on others before. I am on zomorph and am now trying to reduce this, I know I will never totally get off this but can lower the intake of dosages. Glad to hear you are off zopiclone , well done, it does feel better doesn't it.
    • Posted

Truly in the arms of morpheus!

No not off it – just the occasional night I find I can go without it.

• Posted

Never heard that its that they dont like you having more than on 7.5 per day. No good to me so had to seek alternative means. Love my Zops
    • Posted

Did you find a good alternative to zopiclone.

I have been off them for ten days.

I have had pneumonia and I also stop breathing in the night.

I feel horrendous , is this going the. be my life?

Can anyone help me?

• Posted

Hi Linda, you will wake up one morning and feel alot better it does take time, please do not go back onto it it can do you more harm, the side effects are bad but you will improve.
    • Posted

Hi Linda I can assure you that there is no better alternative then quitting the sleeping pills all together. Understandably there's going to be some discomforting of side effects such as difficulty breathing irritability anxious anxiety and so on, but I can assure of you that those side effects will be nothing compared to the rewards I've getting off it completely you would feel healthier eventually learn to rely upon your own self and more natural technique ways of falling asleep but also the reason I would suggest of getting off the zopiclone it's because I myself have been on it for a number of years and because I fell into the Trap of the dependency it caused upon me I have done things in a way that I would have never done to anyone in my right mind overtime if you allow yourself to become dependent upon this medication it will take control of your life and you'll start doing things that you would have never imagined yourself if ever doing in the first place let's just say that I've got a loving wife two beautiful little daughters which I am currently separated from right now and I would do anything in the world for either of them that's how much I love them and that's how hard I've been working towards getting my family back together I have been free from zopiclone for seven straight months now and I'll tell you the key and the way that I would have never done to anyone in my right mind overtime if you allow yourself to become dependent upon this medication it will take control of your life and you'll start doing things that you would have never imagined yourself whatever doing in the first place let's just say that I've got a loving wife to beautiful little daughters which I am currently separated from right now and I would do anything in the world for either of them that's how much I love them and that's how hard at work into words getting my family back together I have been free from zopiclone close for 7 straight months now and I'll tell you the key of getting it out of your mind completely is to focus on the very thing that matters to you at most in life of what do you love the most and things like that the more you find what's more important to preoccupy your mind with the thought of wanting to take this medication the more and more it becomes less noticeable of wanting to take it then eventually at some point in time you don't even think of it at all anymore don't have the urge to desire or anything whatsoever because I'll tell you this if the way I was overdosing on it for years at a toxicity level if my wife had not left me when she did then later on finding out from the doctors I would have been facing possible liver failure inside of two to three months. So trust me when I say get off it will you can that's my advice.

• Posted

You have a reply from Robert which makes good sense. The medical world are scaremongering for some reason. I have leaukamia and have been on zops since 2008. No probs in fact the opposite. However my current quality of life is more to me than worrying about the future so I happily take my zops and hope it will all die down
    • Posted

Yes, i quite agree david.  I will happily carry on taking the Zops until i can no longer get them and take my chances.  
    • Posted

This drug is ok if taken sensibly. Its the druggies and abusers that have given Zops a bad name.  I only ever take one 7.5mg a night, thats sufficent for me. Dont blame the doctors either. They initially gave them out in good faith, now we have to suffer when things go wrong.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.