Darren

Posted , 11 users are following.

I’m 52 , and was diagnosed with chronic prostatitis 2 years ago . At that time AB’s sorted it out after 8 week course . 

It’s now come back and AB’s have not helped  and my Uro says I need bladder neck surgery. Has anyone had this ? And how does a “ dry” orgasm affect your sex life ?

Many thanks 

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

What does he think will happen with bladder neck surgery? I had it done about 18 years ago. They also did an ultrasound of my prostate at that time. Revealed I have stones(calcification) in there.
    • Posted

Hi Joe ,

He says I’m blocked at bladder neck which is why I’m having problems with urinating and that may have caused this prostatitis flair up . 

• Posted

He viewed through cystoscope? I will say my wife got pregnant one month after procedure and we were having trouble before. Can’t say it helped with prostate. Good luck
  • Posted

Whoa. Get a second or third (or more opinions)! Don't know you're complete history but this doc may be trying to put in a nail with a jack hammer! Do you have retention? Have you had a bladder/kidney ultrasound? Urodynamic testing? What is your IPSS score? (look it up online if you don't know).

Jim

• Posted

Totally agree.  When urologist get tired of the complaint they typically go this route .
    • Posted

Hi Jim ,

Yes my ultrasound did show retention ( I forget how much but it was significant) and urodynanics , although it showed 100% voiding showed poor flow . I’ve looked up the Ipss and no I haven’t been asked to fill that in . I should also say my PSA and free PSA were normal 

• Posted

I would ask your urologist for both your retention numbers as well as your urodynamic report. You should also have had a kidney/bladder ultrasound study. If not, you want one to check the architecture of both kidneys and bladder. Did you do the IPSS test? It only takes a couple of minutes and will give you a general idea where you stand.

Jim

• Posted

First of all Darren Welcome to the site.  First you need to get another Urologist.  This is what my Urologist.  Once a man gets prostatitis you can never get rid of it but it can be controlled.  I have a friend that has has Prostatitis from the time he was 17 and he is 33 now.  He watches what he eats and take his pill and he only has a few spells a year.  My doctor also told me ever if you get rid of the prostate you will still have prostatitis because it is in the whole area.  We have had men on here that have had surgery's to remove some of the prostate tissue and they still have it.  Do not let that doctor touch your bladder neck.  Dry orgasms suck. And what does the bladder neck have to do with prostatitis. Nothing.  When I was on Flomax and Rapaflo it gave me dry orgasm.  The built up was there but when the orgasms hit it went flat for me.  Let I did nothing. No feeling at all.  Have your doctor put you on Flomax to see if you can live with it.  Try a different AB.  One will do better they others But you need a new doctor  Good luck  Ken   

• Posted

Darren I just read one of your other post.  If the prostate is blocking the bladder.  Have your doctor put you on something to relax the bladder or you can have a less evasive procedure.  A Urolift will open you up and help the bladder relax.  But see another doctor. Don't let him touch your bladder neck that can cause other problem Not just retro but if there is something else wrong.  you may may not be able to hole your urine after.  Get another opinion  Ken

• Posted

This sounds a lot like my experience.  I was diagnosed with prostatitis in 2016,  I'm quite a bit older than you but I was having overflow incontinence issues with the prostatitis and my Dr. seemed to think that ABs would stop the inflamation and shrink my prostate.  It was fairly obvious to my GP apparently that a swollen prostate was what was blocking my urine flow.  I'd been forcing it out for years and still was having increasingly frequent visits to the toilet or the road side ditch to urinate.  When I was finally referred to the urologist after the ABs had cleared up the infection, I found out I was retaining @400 - 600 ml even after I natural voided (NV).  The Urologist immediately scheduled me for surgery in 3 weeks.  All he had done was the gloved finger up the anus test.  Now, I had  preop appointment scheduled a week prior to the scheduled surgery and perhaps the Dr. was going to offer me drugs; a cystoscope; urodynamic test; or something at that meeting.  I'll never know (thank God) because I had to learn to self-catheterize while waiting because I couldn't even produce enough urine for a test at that time.  I just kept on doing that and it has been wonderful for me.  I thank the men on this forum; Patient for being there; especially Jim James whose unselfish sharing advocated for this option.  I just got over one major health thing and I wasn't ready for another at this time.  You are 52.  Discover your options.

• Posted

Good evening Keith.  Keith  I would not have any surgery right now.  If CIC is working for you hold off.  What kind of surgery is he doing.  There are many men on here that have been talked into a procedure and it does not work.  There is a very nice guy on here His name is Frank.  The doctor told him that they wanted to do a TURP on him but the doctor told him there was a 50- 50 chance that it would not work. And he would have to do CIC anyway He is in retention.   He's 88 and said no.  He has been doing CIC for over a year.  Jim help him a lot.  I would wait on any surgery.  But that is up to you.  Did you get a second opinion?????  Ken   

• Posted

Yes, watch & wait is what I'm doing.  I've read Frank's posts and most of the others about this topic.  No, I have not had a second opinion; I guess I could do that.  I had an appointment for a cystoscopy with my current Urologist (at my request) after the 1st of the year but I decided against it partly because it was inconvenient at the time and it wasn't really necessary.  Whatever is blocking my urine flow - I'm pretty sure its a swollen prostate -  is being bypassed by the catheter.  I'm not working right now - guess I'd rather be poor than be a working poor- so cic is not difficult for me.  I'm using fr12 so as to prevent urethral irritation and I get them free through medicare and my medigap plan.  The Urologist assistant initially told me that the Dr. wanted me to be "doing something" if I wanted their blessing and if I wanted ongoing therapy from them; i.e. cic wasn't enough.  They wanted me to treat the BPH.  They prescribed me an alpha blocker and the one that shrinks the prostate slowly.  I convinced them to let me take saw pimento instead of that prescription drug but agreed to take the Alpha Blocker.  However, I never picked up the prescription.  I'm not trying to be uncooperative with the physician (whom I've only seen once; seen his P.A. twice) but rather am getting along fine for now.  I know that Jim James didn't see really good results from cic for a couple of years and I've been doing it about 9 or 10 months.  I'm already having urges sooner and have to cath 4 - 5 times a day.  Sleep through the night OK but I've been staying up until about 2:00 A.M. and I do it right before going to bed.  I don't worry too much about sleep because I can relax during the day. 

My Urologist's office seems to kind of change their tune now and say their perfectly fine with my doing cic for now if I'm OK with it.  I haven't talked to them since I cancelled the cystoscopy though.  Thats about the 3rd appointment I've cancelled; well in advance though.

• Posted

Good morning Keith.  How are things going for you.  I know it's only been a few days but I think you have it under control.  Just don't be forced into anything you don't want.  Take care and have a good Sunday  Ken

• Posted

Thanks to everyone for your comments it’s all really helpful . I saw my Uro again today and he was incredibly patient and helpful. We chatted over my concerns and options for at least half an hour . The BNI is an option which may help with my urination but I’m not at a point where a BNI is essential and so I will stick with the Alpha Blockers and see how it goes .  He was very clear that the BNI would be most unlikely to help with the pain and discomfort associated with CP. 
    • Posted

Darren  I am very happy for you.  I wish more men would do what you did.  Talking with your Urologist was the best thing for you. Telling him your concerns.    I am happy that he took the time with you and not rush you into a surgery that you really don't need right now.  There are other thing to do to relax your bladder and help you pee better.  Take care and God Bless  Ken

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.