Date through for hip op!

Posted , 14 users are following.

So I’ve been following this discussion board for a while and whilst there are more negative then positive comments, I am scared!

I will be 47yrs soon and have two children under the age of ten. The osteoporosis was diagnosed two

Years ago and has worsened through X-rays.  I lived in pain for and no sleep for a few years and then one day I just couldn’t walk down the stairs (many other incidents also) and that was my turning point, strong medication  and a date given for operation. I do Pilates twice a week whichreally strengthens the muscles what concerns me is my weight I gained 1.5 stone due to hospital physios telling me to stop exercising until they had strengthened the muscles and here lies the vicious circle the more you exercise the more you pay for it. I just hope the operation and recovery time is favourable for myself and my suffering family. 

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hiya , you will be fine , and pain free !! I was so depressed before my operation as in pain and such a struggle everyday at work ...And now going back to work this week and everyone saying how well I look probably as face not strained with pain lol ... Ok I winged a little bit about the 6 weeks restrictions as I'm not great at sleeping on my back but ...I had a knee resurfacing last year and hip replacement was a walk in the park in comparison.....good luck ,

• Posted

Thank you and congratulations on your continuous success, this is good to know. 
    • Posted

I too do not understand you being told to cease exercise???

10 years for me next month since i had my op.

As soon as i came round after my op i knew it'd been a success.

My foot fell to the side in such a way it hadn't done for tears.

• Posted

Hi gailchtr,

I really do not understand why on earth your physio would tell you to stop exercising, it does not make sense. Exercise strengthens muscles, the more (sensible) the better before an operation. Not all 'professionals' are good at their job. Personally, I would ignore advice like that but then that is me, I do what is best for my body.

• Posted

At this point which was over a year ago My leg kept giving away and I think they thought it was important to strengthen the muscles first. After meeting my excellent Pilates teacher I understand very differently and maybe the pain and nativity I took a professionals advice which I now know had a detrimental affect.  
    • Posted

We are always learning gailchtr, if something does not sound right we need to question. I have no faith in the physio department at the hospital I had my hip op. I have spoken to them twice about what I should/could do, they could not give me any solid advice, it was always if it hurts stop, which is pretty obvious, they were no help at all.
  • Posted

I agree with Jen..I have no idea why the physio told you to stop exercising . Everything I read was to keep stretching and keep firming the muscles...
  • Posted

Hi

I’m 49 and had a total right hip replacement in January and will be having my left one this Thursday please don’t be put off by negative comments we all respond differently and to be pain free is the light at the end of the tunnel I was encouraged to exercise using my own judgement when to stop I wish you all the best for your operation and your pain free future 

Teresa x

• Posted

Thank you for your positive words and

I hope your operation was

Successful. Wishing you a speedy recovery. 

• Posted

Hi Gail

Maybe all the positive folks are too busy to post after getting their life back! Bit flippant I know. I was same age as you, kids just a little older and I know I look at the site less as times goes on post op. Don't worry about the weight, you will be encouraged to walk so much post op never mind what other active things you get back to over time. It is frustrating but you are doing something positive for your body to get you through the second half of your life.

Wishing you all the best. Listen to all the advice, and don't be on a rush to get off crutches until your gait is completely balanced again. Worth it to not put strain on wrong parts of body.

• Posted

Hi. I'm 53 and have had both hips done now. It's great to have my life back. Both recoveries were different but not bad. Go for it. After a few months you'll be back into some exercise and maybe even weight loss. No stress tho. 

Good luck. 

• Posted

My exercises pre op became ever limited because of deterioration and weight went on. I tried very hard and lost a couple of pounds pre op. I’m now 12 weeks post op and going to the gym 2 times a week and walking up to 4 miles. I’m also another 5lb lighter just because I’m moving so much more

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.