Daughter just diagnosed with hsp

Posted , 7 users are following.

hi just been dicharged after my 7 yr old was rushed into hosp with suspected meningitus after 2 docs and lots of bloods taken they say HSP shes on calpol and ibuprophen which doesnt last long shes in pain walking sleeping etc and has bad itching shes covered in very bad rash from toes to waist and arms she has chest infection which they think caused it now has to go weekly for urine and blood pressure any tips and advice from very worried mum thanks mel

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Mel,

Although I'm an adult suffering with HSP I've read enough of these forums to be confident in saying your daughter will be fine. I know it can be different recovery times with children but the vast majority make a full recovery as long as you're getting them checked up as you seem to be. Just make sure she gets plenty of rest.

All the best

• Posted

hi you say adult is this the first time youve had it then? and do you suggest anything to help with the pain? i have read herbal stuff can help? people have said bathing in stuff helps with joint pain? how long have you had it?

• Posted

Hi,

Yes, I got it about 6 months ago. It's slightly worse in adults but the stomach and joint pain stopped after a few weeks (I took paracetamol to stop it, the stomach pain would usually last 24-48 hours at a time, I had to take a month off work).

The rash has taken longer to go. It's still sort of with me now although less severe. Reading these forums it tends to affect different people in slightly different ways but children have a much better chance of a full recovery. It's like chicken pox, better the get it when you're a kid.

• Posted

hi did you have swelling of the feet? almost like some of her ref rash looks like its satrting to blister on the top?

• Posted

Hi,

I didn't have any swelling but I've seen that others do. And I had one rash flare up that I wouldn't say blistered but came close. It was when the rash was quite dense.

• Posted

Hi! I had HSP at 15. It was the worst thing happened in my life (with a stomach surgery caused by it..which it seems it was not necessary at all, but 22 years ago the doctors didn't know what to do anymore...) Anyway, after 3 months of taking a school break and a lot of rest, I was fully recovered and it has never came back during the next 22 years. I gave birth to 2 kids and I am fine. Doctors say it is a childhood disease that heals. The most important thing is that it can bring additional complications with kidneys/heart/brain. So, pay attention with the urine and blood. In my situation it was also caused by chest infection, but the causes are multiple. My opinion is to not try herbs/plants etc. because is a complicated disease and you can only do worse.

Your daughter will have to take care all her life with alcohol, to take enough rest (in my situation, although I practice a lot of sport, I also have to sleep at least 8 - 9 hours to feel ok) and verify from time to time the kidneys.

I am sure everything will be all right.

Take care!

Ramona

• Posted

thank you makes me feel a bit more hopeful just wish i could do more for the pain for her when she has to get up and walk and sleep the rash is absolutly awful too she is booked in to have blood pressure and urine samples to be taken every week for 6 months it just seems to me alot of doctors here dont seem to know much about it thanks for the reply glad your better now

• Posted

daughter was rushed back into hospital again and now cant walk as in too much pain! some big blisters have appeared, anyone else have blisters with HSP?

• Posted

has your daughter still got this im 16 with hsp and ive had it for a year now

• Posted

Hi there. May I ask you how your daughter's HSP progressed? Or how long it lasted? My 4 year old son was diagnosed 5 days ago. We've had 3 er visits since then with very painful swelling in joints and severe stomach and back pain. I hope your daughter is well now! Thank you!

• Posted

hello she had it at its worse for about 3/4 weeks but saying that everyone is different it comes and goes she had it very bad the rash turned into blisters shes ok now still has joint pain when very active there is still some pigment left as she had it so bad she had to have weeekly checks at docs for 6 months for blood pressure and urine test make sure you get that done , hope your little one gets better soon

• Posted

ive had hsp for 10 months now and the rash is really getting me down any ideas on how to calm down the rash or any ideas how to hide it im 16 year old female can people who have suffered from this tell me how to cope with it and there experience also how long does it last as im very self contiouse of the rash

• Posted

Hi there,

I am so sorry your little one is dealing with HSP, I was however relieved to find someone else with this condition that I can relate to. Last week I took my 9 year old son to the ER after he had been complaining of knee and ankle pain. There was some slight swelling and it wasn't until after school when I had him change into shorts so we could show them to the Doctor that I saw the spots all over his legs and feet (they were not there that morning). After blood work to rule out other issues he received the HSP diagnosis.

We followed up with his pediatrician who is monitoring blood work for the next four months as well as urine. The spots went away fairly quickly and he seemed to be recovering, but then this passed Thursday his testicle was swollen and red. Back to the ER who did and ultra sound and couldn't not find anything abnormal. They did give him antibiotics this time and his pediatrician gave us a referral for a pediatric urologist. He doesn't know if it is related to HSP as he has not seen this symptom before with HSP.

I would like to know if anyone else is managing the condition any other way, or just the standard fluids and healthy diet. This is stressful for sure! I appreciate any help, sorry for the lengthy post.

• Posted

hi, my son is 15, he has had HSP on and off for nearly 3 years, we were told it would only last 6 to 8 weeks. can any one suggest anything for him to cope with the stomache pains? paracetamol doesnt work, hes in agony. Hes been given steroids in the past which works but at the moment the hospital arent happy to give any more steroids.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.