DAY 1 on Selincro : side effects

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi I took my first tablet last nightat about 5pm and aroung 6pm started to feel really dizzy.  I didnt drink anything. My appetite was gone and still is (a.m)  I felt like a walking zombie and was soo spaced out i had to go lie down. I felt completely strange.  I want to know if this continues or it will pass, since I spent a LOT of money on this and want it to work for my drink problem.  On the plus side, I certainly didnt want a drink, but didnt want anything, and I am glad I dont drive as I could hardly manouver around the kitchen, never mind use a vehicle!

2 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Good luck, Tembel - Selincro made me feel totally sh*t, so you have my total sympathy.  I also spent a ton of money in my childish overeagerness to find the elusive silver bullet.  You'll find my detailed report back on another thread, so I'll be interested to hear if your reaction was at all similar.
  • Posted

Hi Tembel

I did reply to you, but I think it is being moderated because I used a mild expletive! Anyway, I've written extensively re. Selincro on another thread, so do leave a comment here when you have found it.

• Posted

I just read your reply to Shirly on another post.  everything you said is the same, even the urinating (although I am female so the other side effect doesnt affect mesmile  I think it is interesting that you use it as a threat to take it if you reach for the bottle, I may try that!  Someone said dont use it every day, but i drink every day, and dont want to drink every day.  The side effects are a shock to me as usually I can take anything!  I also got 3 months off the same website after the initial online consulation.  I really need to stop drinking but if i end up like a zombie with my two small kids, that isnt good either!  How was your drinking before?

• Posted

I'm glad I'm not alone re. Selincro.  Like you, I have never suffered from side effects with anything else, so it did come as a shock.  Other comments have suggested that side effects will disappear once a certain level of immunity establishes itself in the body, but I would be interested to know if that has been anyone's experience.  This drug has had a lot of press exposure, but, frankly, I have yet to read of anyone having a great time on it, merrily turning their backs on alcohol.  I am not an alcoholic (famous last words!); my problem is that I am a classic binge drinker - indeed, I would rather not drink at all than have just one glass of wine. Once I get into it, unfortunately, I do seem to have an alarmingly large capacity, whereby few can / would want to keep up with me.  I do have "dry" days, which is quite a good startegy, though, psychologically, one could end up feeling the alcohol was part of a reward system on days that you do allow yourself to drink, if you see what I mean.  I can't believe I haven't yet read Allen Carr's book on the subject - his "Easyway to stop smoking" got me off ciggies 30 years ago and is a work of true genious.  Anyway, Tembel, hang on in there - we humans are good problem solvers!
    • Posted

I have just bought the Allen Carr book Bluesrun.  Like you I quit smoking 11 years ago after using his book like a bible and have never given into temptation since.  I would have thought that giving up my couple of drinks every night would have been easier than stopping smoking, but it doesn't seem that way.  So I will see how Mr. Carr can help me!

Pat

• Posted

Be very interested to hear what you make of it, Pat.  I feel there is a difference between the two habits...with smoking you know underneath it all that cutting down, as Allen carr suggests, just doesn't work - far from making the habit less precious, you actually reinforce it by rewarding yourself for having held on and being strong.  But underneath it all, we secretely long for a solution whereby we are both non-smokers and happy, never once looking back.  This is Allen Carr's complete genious!  With drinking it is much harder to foresee that state, given that it is so engrained in our culture.  We would like to cut down and feel somehow we can successfully achieve that state, rather than an all or nothing deal.  And yet, this leaves me in the same dilemma....by cutting down are we not just reinforcing the habit?  Wow, you stayed off the booze for a whole week...now here's your reward - some booze! 
    • Posted

I have been told about this genius Allen Carr , and I believe today will be the day I head to the Book store to buy his precious books!

How to control your drinking , as well as the hsmoking...Ive quit bote

smileh

• Posted

wow what a mess that reply was .... sorry, pls disregard
  • Posted

With apologies for typos....if you're going to claim someone is a genius it would help if you could spell it!  Happy days.....
    • Posted

I like your sense of humour biggrin  and I agree with your differences in the habits.  I have this little voice in my head telling me that as long as I am trying to cut down, I am doing nothing wrong, and what a good girl I am!!
  • Posted

Yeah, I hear voices too....I think we have Joan of Arc syndrome!
  • Posted

It passes Tembel. Over the first few days, your body gets accustomed to it and the side effects subside. Persist with it.
  • Posted

Hi yes I had similar sensations when I took my first but things do get better as your body becomes accustomed to them.

• Posted

I wonder whether to halve one

• Posted

I dont mean have one I mean cut it in half.  It pretty much knocked me for more than 24 hours and only today do I feel like myself.  On the plus side I havent wanted a drink for two days and I will not drink tonight either (probably).  Will try half a tab when I feel ready.

• Posted

Hi I wouldnt recommend splitting the pill because someone on this ate suffered worse side effects. The pill is coated to prevent it dissolving too early after swallowing.
    • Posted

Oh thanks for informing me, I certainly dont want it worse!

• Posted

It is right what Linda said, Tembel. It is film coated for a reason. If you break it, it will disolve higher up your digestive tract than it is supposed to and you are likely to get worse side-effects. It looks like you are going to take her advice anyway, just reinforcing what she said smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.