Day 11 On Flu

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi All,

I'm on day 11 of prozac for depression and my anxiety is through the roof. I've been taking valium over the start up period for the flu but am concerned about continuing with this much longer due to addiction and withdrawl. I think this is fuelling my anxiety. I'm hanging on by a thread so any advice encouragement would be welcome.

0 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Day 15...complete despair. I can't go on much longer.
    • Posted

Staz you need to know that it will pass it just takes time. I am just beginning week 5 and I have noticed I have ups and downs. I also upped my dose after week 3 so that set me back in week 4. You will get better. I didn't think I would either but I have definitely improved. Hang in there okay, you're gonna make it through
    • Posted

Thanks day 16 and no change. Only a few hours sleep and I feel the diazepam isn't touching my anxiety.
  • Posted

Staz, the same thing happened to me to I have reduced the dose significantly and feel I can cope with the anxiety now. I had to stop 20mg on day 12 because I wasn't getting any sleep and felt like I was in a constant panic attack that diazepam didn't touch. Speak to your GP to see what they think of you reducing the dose for a week or 2. Good luck, I know what you're going through and it feels like hell.
    • Posted

Hi Louise,

Day 17 now and the panic and anxiety are unbearable despite the diazepam. I'm feeling suicidal now and can't rest at all with my mind racing all the time. Did reducing the dose ease your symptoms and did you eventually go back up in dose?

• Posted

I stopped it completely for one week. After 2 days my anxiety decreased dramatically, it was wonderful. I am now on day 4 of 4mg, so going really slow as I don't want to end up how I was before. I took them for 12 days and just stopped, no withdrawal. To said it would take 48 hours to get out of system and it did. Please call your GP to see what they think of you reducing the dose. Some people are just more sensitive to starting meds and need to build up slowly. If you are feeling suicidal please call someone to help you xxx
    • Posted

Thanks Louise. Did you get lower dose tablets? Your feelings and experience sound identical to mine and my starting dose was 20mg. I was on 20mg prozac a few years ago and it took s while to work but I didnt get the chronic anxiety last time. A bit of anxiety is one thing but today has been the worst do far like one big panic attack.
    • Posted

Hi staz, took fluoxetine years ago for anxiety and titrated up slowly. I was fine doing that and don't remember increased anxiety. This time my gp would only give me 20mg capsules. When I went back to see her last week she said I could try mirtazipine, citalopram or liquid fluoxetine. I opted for the liquid because I know fluoxetine worked for me in the past and to be honest I was scared to try a new drug. So, here I am taking 1ml of fluoxetine liquid ( which is equivalent. To 4mg). So far so good. I just need the courage to up the dose to 2ml. I think I will do that on saturday. Did u speak to your GP.
    • Posted

Seeing my doc early next week Louise. I will ask for the liquid I think s it seems sensible to go up dose slowly.
    • Posted

End of the second day off of the prozac Louise. Yesterday 10mg's of valium today only 7mgs but still feeling jittery and anxious but nowhere near as bad as I was Friday which was an all time low. Hopefully the anxiety will start to die down a bit tomorrow.

xx

• Posted

Glad u are starting to feel better, by tomorrow you'll be a lot better. What day you seeing the doc? Do they know you just stopped taking it? I'm sure you won't get withdrawal after 17 days in any case. My doc told me just to stop after 12. I'm going up to 2ml (8mg) tomorrow and dreading it! When I was taking diazepam I found the anxiety worse when the pill wore off, you can see how easy it would be to keep taking them, although I didn't find it very good so it was easy not to take it.
  • Posted

Hi everyone im on day 20 of 20mg of flu, and yes im feeling the hell of anxiety and panic, and i have to be at work like this, i do take half of .25mg of xanax to take the edge off or i wouldnt be able to cope. I too want to throw in the towel every single moment of everyday. My spych told me i have to give it time to work or ill never know.  I pray to god everyday that it works and that it be the day i get up anxiety and panic free.....dont feel im there yet. I just always need reasurance that this is normal and it will pass too.
    • Posted

Hi Jesika, sorry you are going through this it's not easy as you will have read above. I would say if you are managing to work then stick with the 20mg as I'm sure the anxiety will settle soon. The only reason I stopped was because I couldn't even go downstairs my anxiety was so bad. Some people do get heightened anxiety to begin with and unfortunately it seems that is what you are suffering from. Try doing exercise to burn off the excess adrenaline and there are some good audios on YouTube to relax to.
    • Posted

This will wear off in time.  You will get up anxiety free free one day, but not yet.  These meds take an awful long time to work but the journey through them is worth it.  After I was ill for 15 years, I recovered within 6 months of taking these and have been well ever since.  You won't feel so ill as you recover, as it'll ease as time goes by.

Yes, seriously give it time - you won't regret it.  Just keep thinking of life without anxiety - keep going and hold that thought in your head.  That's what you're working towards.  It will happen.

K x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.