Day 12 post repair, sitting and external stitches query.

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hello everyone!

I am now day 12 and feeling pretty positive about everything. The only thing is I still can't sit normally except for on a donut cushion; is this normal? I particularly can't put any weight on my left side of my bottom!

My other question is how long do the external stitches take to go? Mine look the same now as they did on day 1 so can't imagine they are suddenly going to disappear and they are quite 'sharp'. Have other people had to have these visible ones removed in the end and if so when?

Thanks everyone

Back to my ice pack!!

Love Trina xx

0 likes, 84 replies

84 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Trina and all the other lovely ladies in this discussion.

As you know Trina, I'm just ahead of you at 24 days post posterior repair. Thanks for asking the question as it has reassured me too. I have 2 very sore bits where the stitches end at the fourchette and I can't believe that pain will ever go! I'm glad to read on this thread that it does improve.

I was also told the stitches would take from 2 weeks up to six weeks as some of the deeper ones take longer. I haven't been given my 6 week outpatient appt yet and I'm worried that when I do go, they will tell me it's not healing properly.

I can sit on a cushioned chair now but if you are feeling constant pain, try to low down more and not put any pressure on the pelvic floor. I find it I'm on my feet for a bit longer, e.g. going for a short walk, I am shattered the next day.

I'm hoping to see my gp in week 5 to discuss if I'm ready to return to my job, but I feel I will not be able to do clinical by then, as we discussed before.

My biggest fear has always been the effect this will have on our sex life, and with the pain in that area, I still can't imagine letting my husband anywhere near me! Let's hope in 3 weeks time, things will have improved. Any reassurance on this would be gratefully received

Love to you all

Sue x

• Posted

Hi Sue, glad you're doing ok! The stitches are horrid aren't they and I'm like you worrying about ever letting my partner get near me again!! I can't imagine being ready to resume a sex life at 6 weeks, saying that I have asked him to check my stitches for me at which point he turned green and needed fresh air (refused to even look!!) so I don't think he will be rushing me if there are stitches still there!

I am surprised by how well I am doing to be honest. I keep doing a bit more everyday, I even took the dog round the block for 10 minutes (he doesn't pull at all luckily) and it was lovely to have the fresh air. My trusty donut sitting cushion goes everywhere with me and i am still on once a day laxido and lactulose which I imagine I will continue until all is healed to be honest.

I am trying not to overdo it but it's hard to know what is ok and what isn't!! I am listening to my body and stop when it tells me to but I am surprised by what I can do and hope that that means I'm recovering ok. To be honest I would find an additional post op check reassuring so I might see if my surgeon has private clinics and book in for an extra check!

Keep me posted on your progress :-) xx

• Posted

Trina and Sue I was like yous. I had total hysterectomy, A&P repair and a tvt so quite a bit of work all at once. So see was a huge dread for me. Even after my stitches came out I had what looked like 2 red blister looking areas on either side of vulva area so wiping was still tender. We waited until week 15 before we tried and it was fine. I've read that others have tried earlier and had pain and bleeding but I had neither. Only a little discomfort. Much tighter according to hubby. ?? I'm sure your body will tell you when you are ready. My physio recommended me getting a small vibrator to try inserting to see how I managed but I didn't bother in the end. We just took it slow and it was better than I'd expected. But you're a while off that yet so don't worry. Take each day as it comes. X

• Posted

Hey Trina

It's great that you are feeling so well however remember that your pelvic floor needs to be rested in order for it to heal properly. I keep reading about women who need to have further surgery and I for one could never go through this again!

I know how you feel, I've been able to do more but I get incredibly tired so I think that's my body telling me "enough!".

Keep healing and feeling good hun!

What part of the country do u live in?

I'm in Surrey

Sue x

• Posted

I'm in East Grinstead West Sussex so not too far from you!! Had my surgery in Kent though as had a recommendation on a surgeon from a colleague :-)

I won't overdo it hopefully I just can't do nothing when there are 3 messy boys to 'look after' even if they are 46, 26 and 18 ??

Today I am taking it easy on the sofa watching the olympics with the dog ????

• Posted

You shouldn't do anything for the first 2 weeks, that's the most important advice and that includes no lifting except for a kettle with enough water in to make a mug of tea. After that it's gradually doing things bit by bit but very slowly. I obeyed all the rules and 6 years later my repair is holding extremely well. I had seen too many women return for repeat surgery because they did too much and there was no way I was going through it again and anyway could you just imagine the telling off I would have got from my colleagues. So please take it easy.

• Posted

Oh sue you need to get the boys to do it all. I had drummed in into my hubby and 15yr old daughter that I wasn't allowed to do anything before the op so that they knew afterwards that they had to step up to the plate. And they did. I had to remind them when things needed doing or verbally guide them about washing stuff but they did great. I hope you manage to get them to help you more to aid your recovery. X

• Posted

Thanks everyone. I will ask the boys to do a bit more!! And I will take it easier :-) xx
    • Posted

Hey

Did u have surgery at pembury hospital? I've just had my back wall repair and pelvic floor..

I had it done 3 days ago and extremely sore

I became constipated and had to have an enema yesterday to "flush me out" but I am still very scared and worried about passing my first stool

It even hurts to pass wind!!!

Any advice?

Thank you

wink

• Posted

salena are you taking a stool softener because that will help? It takes about 3 days to start to help but it definitely helps passing stools and it can be taken along with a laxative.
    • Posted

Hi Salena, yes Mr Slack (great name!!) did my surgery and I had exactly the same as you with a perineal reconstruction.

The first weekend was the worst as I think it takes about 3-4 days to get a balance going with the pain relief and laxatives. If it makes you feel better I was in a right state like you but my Monday I was doing much better!

I took laxatives (laxido and lactulose) twice a day initially and now once a day and took all my allowed paracetamol and ibuprofen as well as liberal use of ice packs!!

That first weekend I ended up having to use glycerin suppositories to get my bowel going too as I was in a bit of a pickle!

Please ask if I can help with anything and please don't overdo it!! Trina xx

• Posted

salena have you seen the post on the Genitourinary Prolapse home page titled  Useful Resources? There's some excellent information on there particularly the South Tees information which will give you some guidance. Rest is essential for the first 2 weeks and don't lift anything heavier than a kettle with enough water to make a cuppa. Keep on top of any pain you have and don't be a martyr. I always say listen to your body, don't over tire yourself. Do as recommended and you'll have a successful repair.

• Posted

Hi Selene. I left hospital day 5 post op and hadn't had a bm. I still had catheter in so had to back on day 7 post op to have removed. Consultant came to see me and I still hasn't had a bm. So I was given an enema. I felt like I was giving birth. It was horrible and hard still. But it got me on track. I'm under a colerectal surgeon for my bowels and I'm on procalopride to help my muscles contract to allow bowels to work more naturally. I had been on these all the time after op but still wasn't going. But now with those meds and trying to eat better I go every day but some days I have to take a glycerine suppository to help.

I'd definitely recommend to get something to help keep you soft. Consultation when recovering is horrible. Good luck. X

• Posted

Yes I had mr slack! He was so lovely

they only gave me movicol to go home which obviously didn't help due to the emena

Today I feel a lot of pressure with pain Again! think I need to go back to hospital

It's driving me insane just can't wait to feel normal again haha

Would it hurt to have a salt water bath to dip in to?! thank you everyone for your responses wink

• Posted

I was told not to have baths and just to have showers; you don't want to dissolve the stitches too early and risk damaging the repair. It really is such early days and I felt exactly like you and I promise it does get better. The enema yesterday will have cleared everything out so keep going with the laxatives and you should manage a soft bm soon. I was scared too and I promise it wasn't as bad as I feared. I was taking a sachet of laxido and 15ml lactulose twice a day if that helps to know?

Try the ice packs too as they helped my pain loads on the first weekend when I hit rock bottom.

Don't panic if you have terrible wind too; my daughter renamed me 'toxic trina' (she is 6!) because I had such bad wind; I tried to stay away from people ????

I'm sure If you just try and rest and give it time your body will kick into gear again very soon and then you will start to feel better xx

• Posted

Oh something else that also helped a lot was that I used my daughters padded children's toilet seat to sit on on the loo; it was much more comfy!! Do you know anyone with children who could lend you one or do you have a donut cushion you could pop

Over the toilet seat to cushion you while you go? A stool to put your feet up on on the loo helps too as does moist toilet tissue for afterwards xx

• Posted

You shouldn't have a bath unless they said it was ok. It depends on the sutures you have, some are made soggy with too much water but if you can then yes a salt bath is a good idea. You have to be so patient with this surgery, recovery does take some time unfortunately but it will be worth it in the end I promise. The thing to remember is that it's major surgery so treat it as such. Why do you think you need to go back to hospital? Is it the pain that concerns you? Pain relief is so important as I've said many times because if you're in pain it will take longer to recover. Were you discharged with pain relief? Sorry for the questions but I'm just trying to help. Please read the information I mentioned, I put some of it together with Alan the moderator so I know it's up to date and correct. Don't be frightened to ask anything x

• Posted

I think I am constipated again but unsure lol I'm too scared to go if I am incase I undo what has been done sad

The pain is all in my bottom it's terrible

I can't wait for the few days to be over i didn't realise how bad the after Pain was going to be ?? Lol

Yes trina I have terrible wind my husband is sleeping in a different room haha

On the wind subject - it blimming hurts just to pass wind how are we ment to poo!

I'm currently taking lactulose I just hope it does help wink

• Posted

salena obviously it's important not to strain but the lactose will help but it takes time. I found it just didn't help me and I needed a stool softener as well. You can buy them over the counter at most pharmacies. You had an enema yesterday so you need to give it time. What painkillers are you taking?

• Posted

Thank you wink

They gave me paracetamol and ibuprofen and codein but haven't taken codein as I know it can Bung you up! I think I need something stronger though

• Posted

Bless you it is awful isn't it!!! Just rest rest rest, pain killers, laxatives, ice and try and give it time. Eat fibre, fruit, avoid fizzy things; at one point I literally thought I was going to burst but I didn't!! drink plenty as the laxatives absorb water from your gut so That's very important and just tell everyone you don't want visitors until your pain and tummy issues are all under control, it's too stressful trying to pretend to be ok when you feel awful so get tucked up with the Olympics or a good book and it will get better xx

• Posted

Do you know it's OK to take codeine and paracetamol at the same time and if you take ibuprofen you can take paracetamol with that? I must admit the first week I felt I needed different pain relief, I was sent home with Tramadol which only helped a bit. Are you resting? 

• Posted

Take the codeine: it doesn't constipate everyone and you are on the laxatives to compensate for that. Pain control is the most important thing for you right now so you can heal. Don't be a martyr!! Also I cannot tell you how much my ice packs help me: I managed to come off all pain relief in a week and use ice packs instead so maybe they would help? The laxatives take time to work so don't panic when they don't work immediately; after an enema yesterday it would be unlikely you would go today in my opinion so aim for tomorrow and try and get some sleep in the meantime xx

• Posted

If the pain is severe and you aren't getting any relief from your medication then it's wise to speak to your doctor or one of the nursing staff. I only say this because I know of ladies who have rang me on the ward complaining of pain and when I've asked them to come in to the ward they have had the start of an infection or we've been able to give them different pain relief. I would never ignore a patient and just say "keep taking your pain meds" because I don't know just how bad the pain is. So salena if you're worried ring the ward (before the night staff come on) and get some advice. 

• Posted

Thank you both so much I'll try everything you have suggested and hopefully things will get better soon wink thanks again x

• Posted

If it doesn't get any better though you must ring the ward ot speak to your GP 

• Posted

Hello salena, I have only just looked on this evening and been reading all your concerns. I joined last Tuesday which was day 4 after my op and found the advice from Matron and Trina incredibly helpful and their advice very supportive. Just understanding the pain and sharing experiences is a godsend. I find evenings quite painful even though I am resting loads and have managed to learn to stagger the painkillers to keep the pain levels as low as possible. I have been very fortunate with bm as I have just had to keep to a very high fibre diet, mostly at breakfast, with prunes, sultana bran and wholemeal toast, but we are all different. I hope things improve for you but totally take all of matrons advice she is wonderful xx
    • Posted

Thank you smile yes I think I will Stick to a high fibre diet too

??

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.