Day 12 post repair, sitting and external stitches query.

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hello everyone!

I am now day 12 and feeling pretty positive about everything. The only thing is I still can't sit normally except for on a donut cushion; is this normal? I particularly can't put any weight on my left side of my bottom!

My other question is how long do the external stitches take to go? Mine look the same now as they did on day 1 so can't imagine they are suddenly going to disappear and they are quite 'sharp'. Have other people had to have these visible ones removed in the end and if so when?

Thanks everyone

Back to my ice pack!!

Love Trina xx

0 likes, 84 replies

84 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hello trina, did you have a posterior or anterior repair, or both? It's difficult to answer some of your questions particularly regarding your stitches because these dissolve and everyone is different. They may feel sharp and more uncomfortable as the weeks go by unfortunately because as you heal the wound tightens so don't be alarmed if the pain gets worse instead of better. This is extremely common with this surgery and it's something I always told patients although that advice is rarely given from what I've read on this forum. It will be painful to sit for a few weeks yet but a donut cushion isn't recommended by some Urogynaecologists because it's putting pressure on other areas. I didn't use one but I wish I had.....I used to cry with the pain trying to sit some days. It's now very important you rest and don't overdo things. Have you read the Useful Resources on the Genitourinary home page? There's a lot of useful information on there particularly the South Tees info. Take care and listen to your body x

• Posted

Thanks matron; it was a posterior repair. I have read all the advice in the thread so I'm taking it as easy as possible for now :-)

Will go back and re read the south tees stuff thank you xx

• Posted

Hi I had an anterior and posterior repair on the 10th June. I thought there was no chance of the stitches dissolving, then all of a sudden they all started coming away. This was about 2wks after the op. I had to cut one out as it was so tight it had started tearing a hole in me, I figured that if the others were falling out anyway the one that was digging in would fall out pretty soon anyway. I still have internal stitches which are like fishing wire. One of them was cutting my insides up because it was so sharp and raw and was causing me to bleed but I managed to bend it with a pair of scissors. It's still in there but it's no longer digging in. I have seen my gynecologist for my follow up appointment and she said everything is fine and it's healing really well. I wouldn't recommend taking any stitches out yourself but I was so sore and it was ages until I could see anybody.

• Posted

It's not always advisable to cut the stitches yourself. Any practice nurse at a GP surgery will do it using sterile scissors or a special suture cutter. I've seen ladies do it themselves and cause an infection or remove the stitch before it has actually completely healed the wound. Sorry sam but I had to respond to your post  because it's not something any nurse or Urogynaecologist would recommend.

• Posted

Hi, trina...I am three weeks post op and I had the same problem with soreness when I sat down.  I had to go from cheek to cheek to be able to sit for even a minute.  On the third week it got a lot better for me, as I know it will you.  I don't have any external stitches that I know of.  All of mine are internal...Good luck...

• Posted

Thanks Carole, maybe it's the internal ones hurting then!! Good to have hope for next week :-) xx

• Posted

Sometimes the internal sutures feel as though they are external following this surgery because they are low down. You could have external as well but you should have been told.
  • Posted

Hello Trina  and everyone in this discussion, I'm so glad I found this forum and all your stories. Had my op last Friday so day 4 after it for me and was starting to get concerned about the sitting down! But you have all answered a lot of questions for me, I will continue to watch and if I find I can add anything useful and supportive to add will do so

• Posted

Hi Gill,

very early days for you, take it really easy, don't do anything apart from putting your feet up for a couple of weeks.

Then take things slowly, this type of surgery takes a lot out of you, both physically and mentally.

Give yourself lots more time than you were told to recover, it's a slow process, and you need a lot of rest.

Take all the help you are offered, you don't want to go through it again, so let yourself heal.

Read other people's posts and if you have a problem, you'll most likely find it, if not, ask matron.

With best wishes for your recovery.x.

• Posted

Thank you Laura we all want to run before we can walk and I was feeling very sore and sensitive this afternoon. It really helps with people who are feeling the same x

• Posted

You will be feeling sore love, you're right on the first step of your recovery, baby steps.x

• Posted

Hi Gill I typed out a long reply earlier and then it wouldn't post and disappeared so sorry!!

Day 4 was my worst day so please take it easy!!

My best advice is invest in a good reusable ice pack; I have 4 of the rectangular kool Paks (from Amazon; next day delivery!!) and I use them pretty constantly to deal with pain and swelling. Also once a day laxatives are working for me (laxido/lactulose combo). I also bought a donut cushion which is fab for when I can't avoid sitting and a squattypotty to help me go to the loo!!

Keep resting and shout if you need to ask anything, Trina xx

• Posted

Bless you, you have at least made me smile with all the positive advice and given me a better attitude to approach it. I'm not usually a wimp but when it feels like nails sticking in you when you try sitting down you do begin to wonder was it worth it, l know I will get through with this support now xx

• Posted

Hi Gill

Hope you're ok and taking things easy. That's really all up I can do for at least 2 weeks. I'm slightly ahead of you at 3 and a half weeks post posterior repair. Those first 2 weeks were very slow and very painful so stay off your feet as much as you can, and as others have said, make sure your take laxatives so no straining at all.

And as Trina said , anything you want to ask, put it on here. At least we all have time to reply when we're all recovering!

All the best

Sue

• Posted

Hi, Gill Did you have hospital stay after surgery ?? My surgery is set up on 24th
    • Posted

Hi Christine, yes I had just an overnight stay after the surgery. It was done late Friday morning and I came home on the Saturday afternoon. Read through a lot of the other ladies posts as I have found them really helpful and supportive and all the very best for the 24th x
    • Posted

Thank you sue, all this advice is helping loads and reading your story has been very helpful x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.