Day 12 post repair, sitting and external stitches query.

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hello everyone!

I am now day 12 and feeling pretty positive about everything. The only thing is I still can't sit normally except for on a donut cushion; is this normal? I particularly can't put any weight on my left side of my bottom!

My other question is how long do the external stitches take to go? Mine look the same now as they did on day 1 so can't imagine they are suddenly going to disappear and they are quite 'sharp'. Have other people had to have these visible ones removed in the end and if so when?

Thanks everyone

Back to my ice pack!!

Love Trina xx

0 likes, 84 replies

84 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello Trina  and everyone in this discussion, I'm so glad I found this forum and all your stories. Had my op last Friday so day 4 after it for me and was starting to get concerned about the sitting down! But you have all answered a lot of questions for me, I will continue to watch and if I find I can add anything useful and supportive to add will do so

• Posted

gill take a look at the Useful Resources on the Genitourinary home page , there's lots of good advice there, particularly the South Tees information. Welcome to this forum, it is excellent x

• Posted

Thank you Matron, I will look at that and I have felt more positive from reading your other advice to people in this group x
    • Posted

It's good to know you're not on your own gill and there is always someone on the forums how can help x

• Posted

Sorry that should say always someone on the forum who can help x
    • Posted

II printed off the info from South Tees and yes very helpful, thank you! 
  • Posted

Thank you, were you in alot of pain how long before you able to move around on your own??
    • Posted

Christine I was in a lot of pain for the first week I would say and then gradually eased as long as I used my ice pack really regularly. However I would say that today (day 15) I feel

More achy again and my stitches are more sore so j think it's a variable recovery...... I haven't overdone it so I think it must just be down to stitches tightening up??!! anyone else found this just after the 2 week point? X

• Posted

I've mentioned this only recently trina that the pain and discomfort does get worse as the weeks go by unfortunately and I still struggle to understand why ladies aren't told about this. As the sutures heal they are pulling on the wound and as there's no hard and fast rule as to when sutures will dissolve (anything up to 12-14 weeks) this discomfort can go on for some time although it does tend to improve as some of the sutures dissolve. Not everyone sees the sutures when they fall out, I didn't but some ladies see them in the toilet bowl or their underwear so if you don't see them it doesn't mean they are still there. Sometimes the odd suture causes problems and won't dissolve, if that's the case see one of the practice nurses at your GP surgery, don't cut it yourself. I've seen awful infections warranting hospital admission after patients have done this.

• Posted

Thanks Matron, I thought as much! My stitches are staying put as long as they hold on!! X
    • Posted

Thanks once again matron, your advice is incredibly helpful in preparing for the days and weeks ahead. I am day 6 now and managing better to keep a handle on the pain by spacing and alternating taking ibuprofen and paracetamol through the day. My question though is the use of ice packs, could someone enlighten me on how to use them, thank you x
    • Posted

Thank you gill for your kind words. I didn't use ice packs and we don't use them in hospital but I know ladies find them really helpful. I would think they are wrapped in a sheet or pillow case but be careful because you don't want melted ice seeping into any stitches particularly before 4-6 weeks.

• Posted

Right, I may not worry about that. Had two more positive days than when I started on Tuesday and am preparing better for the downsides. Watching the Olympics is good though x
    • Posted

The positive thing about this operation (apart from the awful prolapse being repaired) is having a good excuse to watch tv or catch up on a book or dvd and nobody can tell you to stop lazing about! Rest is so important, more than a lot of ladies realise, particularly in the first 2 weeks and then after just taking small steps and "listen to your body" and don't push yourself x

• Posted

Hi Gill, I use the Kool Pak reusable cold packs; the ones I ordered are approx 10cm wide by 30cm long. They come with a cover you can put them in and they don't melt as they are reusable and sealed so no issue about stitches. I simply take it out the freezer, put it between my thighs and lie on my side!! Makes a HUGE difference to my pain and I have found it better than all medication for pain relief! I ordered mine from Amazon with next day delivery and have 4 to rotate!! X

• Posted

Hi Trina

I am liking the sound of the cool packs. I started my PF exercises today and my pain has gone up a notch. Is Kool Pack the brand name?

Helen

X

• Posted

Yes Helen, it's spelt Kool Pak.

I'm not enjoying the pain increase; I was starting to get smug thinking I must be doing so well not to have too much pain etc but today has really knocked me back down to earth :-( xx

• Posted

Hi Helen. It's probably still a bit early to be doing you PF exercises. I waited till about wk 4/5 and started with just a few 3 x per day and increases it gradually. I got the squeezy app by nhs. It's really good to help keep check on how many you've done etc. Don't overdo it. X

• Posted

I had a day like that yesterday Trina and despite being sore tonight, today has been better. Chin up chick, as they say in my part of the world, tomorrow is another day 💜
    • Posted

Thanks Fi-45. I am using the Squeezy app and I checked with my surgeon before I started. I can tell that my baseline is low as I can't hold for 10 seconds yet, but I am persuaded (I think) that on balance to do what I can is probably OK.

What sort of surgery have you had? I just had a posterior repair - I say just, as if that isn't enough?!! ??

• Posted

Hi Helen. I started off doing 5 long and 5 short and only holding for 5 secs and gradually each week added an extra squeezy and an extra sec. I'm now up to 8. I struggled at first with holding as my floor was quite poor.

I had a total hysterectomy, an A&P repair and a tvt so been a tough journey but I think of is had 1 procedure it would have been tough. I'm lucky I got to have it all done at same time (well not sure lucky is correct description). I'm now 5mths post op and starting to feel normal again. Just the odd twinge.

But I'm also under a colorectal surgeon whom I need to go back and see once healed as problems with bowels. Hoping won't need more surgery. But in not convinced as bowels are better but not beer fee enough in my books.

Hope you feel better soon. X

• Posted

Thanks Fi. That's really helpful. Build up gradually seems to be the way forward and the advice from you and Sue. Perhaps going for 10 squeezes straight away was a bit too ambitious, but that's very me.

I will throttle back today and check in later.

Have a good day yourself Fi.

Xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.