day 13 fluoxetine

Posted , 16 users are following.

hi,

im now on day 13 of fluoxetine and was told by my gp that  would get worse before feeling better.

i have been feeling really rubbish, nausea, fatigue but am willing to stick it out to feel better.

had a review yesterday and gp said its too early yet.

i did feel a little better a couple of days ago and then today again i feel absolutely drained.

i have been really pushing myself to go out for a walk at least twice a day as i know its important to try and exercise when feeling depressed.

anyone can give me a time when you start to feel better? i am so sick of feeling depressed but trying hard to be patient.

2 likes, 48 replies

48 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi

I am four weeks into this medication. Like you I had an awful time for the first 2 weeks, week 3 was better and this 4th week has been so much better. I don't have any of the side effects now and if I experience moments of them throughout the day they are very weak. The problem is that the drug is cumulative but the side effects are instant. That's why you feel worse before you get better. Hang on in there and keep pushing through and ticking off the days, you will soon be feeling much better.

• Posted

Hi,

thank you so much sally, that was really helpful to read.

i am hoping not to have too much time off work but the way i feeling at present feels like i will never get better but i will be hopeful that things really just need more time.

thanks once again smile

• Posted

Hi! Sally is right.  I also felt much worse before feeling better - it was gloom and doom every day.  I was constantly thinking about "how I felt" and this made it worse. I did a lot of praying and stuck with it.  Forums like this one gave me some comfort knowing that others could relate.  I am in my 5 week since I increased the flu dosage from 10-20 mg a day and I am feeling better.  Like you, I try to get up and exercise some every day.  I hate exercising, but getting out for a walk does help, even for 20 or minutes a day.  Try to keep busy and think positively - you have to believe you will feel better.  Best of luck to you!
    • Posted

heather,

thank you for your reassurance and yes it is important that we push ourselves even if its just a short walk.

i wil try to stay positive, usually i am such a positive person until i get the depression. it seems to rear its ugly head every few years. 

this is the first time i tried fluoxitine, i was reluctant to take anti depressants agan due to weight gain but at least these have not caused that.

one good thing so farsmile

• Posted

Hi, I am now about 8 weeks into taking fluoxetine and the side effects started going away about 2 weeks ago. I really struggled with the all the side effects, i think i had every single side effect going, I didnt think I would be able to stick it out, but with support from my mum and husband i have got through it. I got signed off work as there would be no possible way i could work.

My anxiety got so bad, far worse than it was before i started taking the med that i went back to the GP she gave me diazepam which did help, and it has settled down now.

like everyone else says, if you can, just stick with it, i am now coming out the other side and things are getting better. I was really ready to throw the towel in at one point, i didnt find my GP much help, she just said "its up to you, you can change to another if you want" I didnt think that was very helpful as i didnt want to start a whole other bunch of side effects so i just stuck with it. Good luck, I know what your going through

• Posted

hi wendie,

i really appreciate others giving me their own experiences and it is certainly helping me,  knowing now that im not alone in this.

im sorry your gp isnt really helpful to you but am so pleased for you that you are coming out the other side.

your quite right with not wanting to start all over again after going through all these side affects.

are you back at work yet?

• Posted

Hiya, no I am not back to work yet, i was signed off for 10weeks as i had to have surgery on my wrist, and i have used this as my reason for being off, i didnt tell anyone at work that i have any mental health issues, which i know is ridiculous but i feel its very private to me, only my husband and mum know. Im sure the kids must know there is "something up" with mum but they are putting it down to my broken arm. I dont know when i will go back to work, its the only thing that really makes me feel anxious now, when i think of going back my heart starts beating faster and and i start getting that feeling of dread. But i am starting to feel better about most other every day things, I managed to do a cooked breakfast and clean the bathroom, bath the kids etc today so that is massive improvement for me. The main side effects I am still suffering from are shaky hands especially in the morning, tiredness and the occasional yawning episode, which i think is a really weird side effect of a drug, but i see lots of other people have suffered from yawning as well, I also have an "upset tummy" at least once a day, that might sound like its still a lot but its really a massive improvement on the effects I suffered from before. Hope thats some help
    • Posted

Hi Wendie,

I am sure that you are through the worst now. Stick with it! I also had the shakes in the morning and the yawning drove me mad! I can remember feeling elated when I had managed to hang my washing out and make tea all in the same day!!!! xx

• Posted

Hi wendie.

It is such a shame that we still cant feel ok with sharing mental health problems. I can completely understand you hiding it if you can, it makes me feel embarrassed and week even though im normally a very strong person in all other areas of life.

At least we can share with each other smile

• Posted

Hi Wendie 

can i ask how long you have been on fluoxetine ? i too get an upset tummy daily and it only started when i began taking the tablets, your motivation will come back though it took about 6-8 weeks before i began to feel like my old self again i still get the odd day where things are not so good but on the whole i do feel better good luck for the future sharon xxx

• Posted

Did u feel spaced out drugged? I feel this way iv just reached 5weeks. Feel dazed out but not depressed anymore. Anxious feeling is there too sad xx glad its worked for u x
    • Posted

My doctor also gave me diazapam but it doesn't really help, she gave me 2 mg

• Posted

Hi I returned to work on day 19 and managed (I'm a primary school teacher) although I felt tired and shakey at times. This last week has been much better and I feel almost back to normal and I don't have any of the side effects now. Try to stick with it, 3 weeks ago I was dreadful, I didn't know what to do with myself the side efrfects were terrible and I thought that I would never feel normal again! Keep ticking the days off as every day that you get through is a day nearer feeling normal. Keep posting to let us know how you are getting on. x

• Posted

im so glad you are feeling nearly back to normal and i will keep you updated and likewise keep me updated if you can smile
  • Posted

Hi ladies

I have two weeks still on my sick certificate which will take me to four weeks of fluoxetine. Hopefully then try to go back part time to start but like you wendie I feel anxious at the thought of it.

I did lots of walking today and exhausted now but must push myself.

I too get the yawns , and at first the tension was really bad but easing up a little bit now. I try to do what's called 'body scan ' relaxing each part of the body until your whole body is relaxed.

Unfortunately though I tend to tense up again when I dont even realise im doing it. Not sure if this is side affect or part of anxiety and depression. 

• Posted

Proud of you for pushing yourself!  It's can be so hard for even the simplest of tasks. Just keep going. The "body scan" helps me get to sleep many nights, it's a good technique to wind down.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.